Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. AJL

AJL Senior member

L2B= gotta jump in on the jacket too short wagon, and yes, the white pants are exacerbating that effect. As a suit jacket it would be much less noticeable.

stitchie- great shot(s). Dig the heavy machinery.

2. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Where is patrickBooth when you need him?

There is a guy who likes the sedate too, but knows how to offer constructive feedback to help people achieve their goals.

3. kulata

kulata Senior member

Now why are you judging me? I am very open minded when it comes to style. In fact my last fit was kinda influenced by you.

This was my response to your pics

Never been to Naples and I know nothing about the city apart from some guy on my tumblr that has all these historical neapolitan fits which I appreciate for what they are. Now you say people are trying too hard, then give them suggestions so they don't come across as trying too hard. For me, bold colors is part of my culture, it's what I saw day in day out being Yoruba, maybe to you it may be trying hard but it's just an extension of my culture and It comes natural to me. Other people may have similar narratives or not, it doesn't really matter. Bottom line is if you can contribute then do so by making suggestions.

4. spectre

spectre Senior member

Fair points well made.

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Try to think from someone else's point of view, and take into account their background and culture as much as you can. Now I know it's not an easy feat, especially online, but if you put in a little bit of effort, a whole new world might open up to you. You might even start to appreciate a wide variety of looks, even though you'd never wear them yourself. Just because I admire a certain form of art or architecture doesn't mean I can't appreciate other styles, even though I'd never decorate my own home with them.

We usually tend to give advice that takes into account a certain look that someone is trying to achieve. Whether that's Italian industrialist, early 1900s dandy or the Ivy style doesn't matter much, we'll help you achieve it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

6. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Gentlemen, if everyone here dressed exactly the same way I’d probably not read this thread very often. I wager that’s true for most of us.

I come here for a lot of reasons, but it’s partly for the variety, and especially to see and appreciate things I myself might not wear. In that respect it’s like going to an art museum or an orchestral concert: like most educated people I like Vermeer as well as Kandinsky, and Beethoven as well as Schoenberg. People who convince themselves that these things are mutually exclusive and that one must choose between them are simply electing to lead intellectually impoverished lives. That’s their right, of course, but I find it sad nonetheless.

Enjoy your weekend, everyone.

Cheers,

Ac

7. spectre

spectre Senior member

And I like The Beatles, Miles Davis and Chopin but your analogy does not extend to clothes for me.

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

That's something you can work on should you choose to.

The more you expose yourself to something, the more it can grow on you.

YMMV.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

An after work outfit, with my new Eidos 50/50 wool/silk jacket. The fabric is made from 8 different yarns, so you really have to see it in natural light to appreciate its beauty:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not what I'm wearing today, but here's a leather Valstarino I picked up at the same time:
    [​IMG]

10. spectre

spectre Senior member

I appreciate the sentiment but I've dressed this way for the past 45 years and I'm not going to change now. I can see what some are trying to achieve but I'm afraid it's mainly jarring to my sensibilities.
    Possibly enough of this...I'll try to offer small suggestions in the future, but I doubt many will agree.

11. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

LOL at Yorubas ever thinking of dressing like Cary Grant.

12. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

nobody is telling you to change how you dress. We are telling you there are other ways to achieve aesthetics without looking like you.

13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

New tie from Drake's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. kulata

kulata Senior member

You will surely be skipped in an owambe :D

15. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

X-post from the Friday Challege:

Nearly all cotton summer outfit with some SF favs and affiliates - Suit Supply cotton/linen jacket, Cottonwork shirt, Brooks Brothers cotton madras tie, Kent Wang silk PS, JCrew cotton pants and socks, AE hooves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]