HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. spectre

spectre Senior member

What is it that pattern overload is so popular here?

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I'm at work. It never gets that hot on the base and is always breezy because it's on the water. It might get up to 80, but I doubt it. Pants are a very light hopsack and the jacket is a decent weight, but unlined. I'll walk to a couple meetings and I'll be fine.

Nice form on that jump shot, Stitch.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Its Friday and I'm bored so I'm gonna talk more about this post then probably anyone cares to hear so you've been warned. One of the things that I think people don't pay a lot of attention to, or maybe just don't think/care about is something that chocosa does so well (hopefully purposely and not by accident). I think he mentioned once that he is 6'5-6'7 so something and that he was a basketball player at Indiana (if so, we'll try not to hold it against him). When you're that tall, its tough to dress well and not look like, well, that you are that tall. Same with being very skinny or carrying a lot of girth or being very short, these all have various "issues" to work through in the realm of classic clothing but chocosa is an example of something we can all use, regardless of our body types. I'll start by saying that choc's style is not my own. His is sleek, somewhat slim, monotone and thats not my thing. I would suggest something else for him but that is neither here nor there, lets look at what he does. I would guess that one of the first things that stands out to people here is his jacket length. Its longer than what is typically shown here. The second thing they may stand out is his gorge, that is much lower than the current trend. I would guess that if he asked "what would you change", people would tell him to go higher on gorge and shorter on jacket. But they would be WRONG. I have no idea about the dimension's of choc's upper and lower body, but given the dimensions of this suit, it looks as if both halfs are equal in length. That is absolutely perfect. A guy that is probably a giant next to normal sized people, looks perfectly "normal" in this outfit. The length of the jacket elongates his top half and makes it seem equal to his bottom half and more importantly for him, the length of the jacket makes the length of his arms look proportionate. If you look at his arms on their own, they seem to be the size of most people's legs. If that jacket was shorter, those arms would really stand out at you. On to the gorge. Its low and if you compare to Isaia etc, its about 15 inches lower. But why doesn't it smack us in the face announcing its lowness as soon as you look at the pic? Because of his height and the lapels width. He is a very tall guy and since there is so much length to the jacket, the distance between his shoulder line and the gorge does not seem abnormal. This same gorge on a guy 5'8 wearing a jacket that is 29 inches in length would stand out like a sore thumb. The lapel width is also just right, about half the width of the chest. Super skinny or super wide lapels here would, again, make that gorge really stand out. So here we have an "odd" shaped guy that, for all intents and purposes, has a pefectly balanced outift. Regardless of our size, we can take lessons from this. As I mentioned, this is not my style but it does "slim" well. No pulls, no wrinkles, no bulging. I would suggest something different but would incorporate the things I said above.

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

This is excellent, thank-you - contrast this with Spectre's dismal offering above for a comparison on how to do constructive critique.

5. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

6. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

and seemingly some vertical, you sure you from the tribe stitch :confused:

Reminds me of the joke from Top Secret (1984 movie), when the two spies are about to exchange the secret phrase:

Spy 1 - "Name a good, white, professional basketball player"
    Spy 2 - "There are no good white professional basketball players"

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

8. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

9. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

With reference to the question about photography a few pages back... there are those of us who probably don't care enough about taking good picures (e.g. me) and then there are those who probably try a bit too hard (e.g. Stitches). In between is the sweet spot (e.g. Braddock). Yeah, yeah - I'm a miserable bastard! [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

[​IMG]

Keep that elbow in.

11. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Good stuff, Ed.

12. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Perhaps there's inspiration for a FC in there somewhere. Best outfit in an athletic/hobby endeavor. I recall Victor doing a muscle up in a suit for one of his photo sets. No small feat whatever one is wearing.

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

this could potentially be a fair critique on an overloaded fit that is bad, but braddocks patten matching here, as usual, is superb. why does it bother you so much that some people prefer color and patterns over somber solids? many people enjoy color and patterns and variety. others dont, look at chocs fit that edmorel brought up a few posts ago (great post btw, ed). no one hates on choc for not having enough pattens, he does what he does, and he does pretty good. and there are others that like a lot of patterns, and others in the middle.

in each segment you have people that succeed and people that fail. but the failure is not in whether or not they use patterns or or how many they use, its in whether or not they achieved the goal of properly executing the look they are shoting for.

before, though i thought your tone was borderline deplorable, at least you had a fair point on the fit you were critiquing. now, you are basically saying, why do people here not like what i like? what i like is best!

comments like that are in no way helpful or useful to anyone.

thanks, doods. its a paternally inherited skill. my dad was offered a full ride basketball scholarship from texas A&M, but he decided to go to israel and learn to be a rabbi instead.

im in.

14. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

X-Post from Suitsupply thread.

Just got home and this was waiting for me....

15. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Eh seems way too big in general to me.