HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

Yeah, I've been thinking of mentioning the same. Probably the most difficult aspect of building a wardrobe is editing out those cuts and colors that you love but that don't work well with your physique and skin tone. Particularly when realization comes after substantial time and money have already been invested.

2. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

This is my favorite from you yet. Texture of the jacket and tie are great and I love the subtle pattern of the shirt. Very nicely done.

Also, I have been to your town, once, on my way from Gernsbach to Kehl. I only saw the train station though.

3. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I would be happy to hear where improvements could be made. I definitely feel like today was night and day difference but if there is room to improve I'd love to hear how.

4. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

I usually just ask anyone who is nearby to take a picture. I've only had one person not want to do it, even though she had her own camera and was taking pictures of everything else. Tourists with cameras will always do it, particularly if you offer to trade taking a picture of all of them with their camera(s).

Sometimes when bums ask for money, I tell them that I will give them a dollar if they take my picture. Bums in wheelchairs are the best to have take your picture, as they take the picture at a better angle than a bum standing up. Workers and employees in shops and restaurants will almost always take your picture (except in shops that prohibit photography).

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

@edmorel gets the tone of advice exactly right. There is no such thing as an absolute, universal, "perfect fit". Even agreement on a good fit requires that all the people in a discussion agree not just on a set of parameters, but on a specific, wholistic, paradigm, in which to discuss the fit. An obvious example are the differences between the ideal "Savile Row" cut (and I use that term as broadly as possible, since there are so many difference between the different houses), and the Neapolitan cut. And even there, you will be hard pressed to find two houses on Savile Row or in Naples that will agree on all points. So, you might be able to say something like "That is a great example of a Huntsman jacket being worn", but much more than that, especially given the plurality of styles, would probably be overreaching. And even for a given house, cuts evolve, albeit often rather slowly.

That said, a personal opinion can certainly be had, and there will probably be opinions that are more popular than others - not to say that a popular opinion is necessarily a good one, nor even generally a good one. However, I think that pretty much all opinions on fit should be prefaced by "IMO, fwiw".

6. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

Im sure that the indigent handicapped will be pleased to hear this.

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

im not sure what rtc is talking about. the combo itself is very nice. cant really say much about fit from the pic other than that the right shoulder looks pretty clean.

times infinity.

8. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

How come none of your lunch pictures included food? Lazy!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  9. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

That's such a stereotypical Asian thing to do of me...taking pictures of food. [​IMG]

10. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Your picture quality just needs to improve. I can't tell enough from the photo and when I am unsure whether what I'm seeing is working or not I can't tell if I should thumb.

Generally sometimes your sleeves seem a touch long and baggy to me, though they are typically clean so this is minor.

Today your square might be too similar to your tie either in terms of color or pattern. However, I just can't really tell. =/

11. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

Thank you very much. I saw it on your blog, that you travelled trough europe. The northern black forest is a lovely place and I am there several times in the year.
    That family portrait foto on your blog is great and that dog is awesome.

12. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

What a day!

Back to back business meetings out and about in raging beautiful heat. Needed to be a tie and jacket day but no CBD. One guy, Commercial Director turned up in shorts! Though that was the successful meeting, good guy, may be some great business to come from that, hope so. Left him and had a tyre blow out on M1 (V busy motorway) those trousers are now a little dirty. Changing tyres in searing heat ain't my thing but did that and all now repaired.

So, pics taken this morning (for the FC, thanks El S for the advance notice) before all the calamities. Now with a v cold beer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Sorry to hear about the blowout, Cleav. I keep meaning to put a small pad in the car for just such an eventuality. Your tale of woe may inspire me actually to do that.

14. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Thanks Man, I used my golf towel, as I always carry a set of clubs in the boot. But still managed to dirty my troos! On closer inspection scuffed my shoes (#@*)£@&*) never mind...

15. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member