• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

arnathor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How many users here use a tripod and dSLR?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
None of us.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hopefully this fit makes up for the train wreck I posted on Tuesday

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Keep the jacket and tobacco monks but team them with white shirt and pocket square, charcoal tie and grey wool pants several shades between tie and jacket.

i think gray trousers with that jacket will be more likely to fail than succeed. also, thats a lot of gray. i think the white pants were the right choice, especially in summer.

How many users here use a tripod and dSLR?

i wish i did.

luv2breformed

Reaction score
Kulata, Red Devil - killing it.

I had to give a lecture to some visiting Chinese surgeons today, so I decided to break out a special suit.

In line with recent advice from respected co-contributors, I toned everything else down. Hence, plain white oxford-weave shirt; plain white Irish linen square in a TV fold; shoes are a little outré but only if you look at them carefully.

Apologies for crappy pic quality - taken at dusk.

Big thanks to @conradwu for the shantung tie, @Henry Carter for the square, and @steveyoo1983 (Gentleman's Footwear) for the lizard monkstraps.

I have a few suggestions, but I'd like to point out they are all minor. I think toning everything down works well here.

1. As is, I would suggest a brick red tie rather than brown. Given the brown of the suit, making the tie brown as well is sort of losing me in a sea of brown. I think a brick red tie remains in the palette by picking up on the overcheck, is still subtle and a "standard" choice, and breaks up the jacket and tie a bit in terms of color. I think the overall effect would be positive.

2. You may reconsider the white spread collar with this suit. Brown jacket or trousers typically looks better with a blue shirt to begin with, but add to the fact that this fabric is so rustic and I think blue would do a lot better. I would prefer a blue ocbd to the white spread collar here, and I don't even really like ocbd with a suit to begin with. If you swapped

3. Given the above (point 2), I would prefer cream silk to white linen for the square.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
I do not understand why everyone does not post up full fit pix. You can make all the excuses in the world but if I was able to do it then anybody can do it on their phones. I am not too fond of these close up shots with no full fit pix.
nest.gif

@kulata
You look awesome today. My favorite fit from your thus far
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do not understand why everyone does not post up full fit pix. You can make all the excuses in the world but if I was able to do it then anybody can do it on their phones. I am not too fond of these close up shots with no full fit pix. :nest:  

Ideally, everyone should post professional quality full fit pics, but realistically, its not that simple. Id rather a nice top block and bottom block pic, than a crappy, poorly lit, wrongly angled, dirty mirror, full pic.

Also, this topic has been talked to death already. But its slow lately, so what the hell.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ideally, everyone should post professional quality full fit pics, but realistically, its not that simple. Id rather a nice top block and bottom block pic, than a crappy, poorly lit, wrongly angled, dirty mirror, full pic.

Also, this topic has been talked to death already. But its slow lately, so what the hell.
Maybe someone should create a tutorial about how to take menswear selfies. Looking at you Noodles.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few suggestions, but I'd like to point out they are all minor. I think toning everything down works well here.

1. As is, I would suggest a brick red tie rather than brown. Given the brown of the suit, making the tie brown as well is sort of losing me in a sea of brown. I think a brick red tie remains in the palette by picking up on the overcheck, is still subtle and a "standard" choice, and breaks up the jacket and tie a bit in terms of color. I think the overall effect would be positive.

2. You may reconsider the white spread collar with this suit. Brown jacket or trousers typically looks better with a blue shirt to begin with, but add to the fact that this fabric is so rustic and I think blue would do a lot better. I would prefer a blue ocbd to the white spread collar here, and I don't even really like ocbd with a suit to begin with. If you swapped

3. Given the above (point 2), I would prefer cream silk to white linen for the square.

I nearly did wear a bright red tie, but the only one I had was a knit, which didn't quite work with this suit IMHO. I also tried some repps, but they made the fit too busy overall and I wanted to keep things simple, which is also why I avoided the blue shirt on this occasion.

I have in fact previously worn this suit with a light blue shirt, and it was OK but not stellar. The suit is not really brown; it's red and another colour which is half way between maroon and purple. The brown tie did actually provide some contrast. Maybe not enough, but some.

I don't have a cream silk square.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
Helpful tips on taking self portraits on your own:
1. Install an app that has a timer or a speech recognition. My phone has a speech recognition so when I am in the right spot, I say the commands and the camera shoots.

2. Make sure that your phone is standing straight up. When leaning your camera/phone against something, make sure that it is not tilted. If you are having trouble keeping your phone/camera straight up, use the wall or a paper cup (cut out).

3. Position your camera/phone so that it is aiming towards your chest when taking full shots.

4. Sunlight is always better than artificial(?) light. Standing in direct sunlight is not advisable.

This has worked for me. It is a bit of a hassle. My apologies for beating a dead horse. I didn't know that it had been discussed so much.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads