• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A lovely fit indeed, but Id prefer some taper there. Not loving the drape that some of the excess fabric is causing. Ymmv.

If you are talking about @tchoy's trousers I most certainly do not agree. There is already all the taper needed in those to match the top block, with waistcoat and jacket. Any narrower would just look odd to me.

As for the D-word, I'm not sure I see what you see :puzzled:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score

at.p.co.
uniqlo(x2)
MMM

sort of a work in progress -- I need to have the slightly closed quarters of the jacket fixed & pants hemmed

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lightweight wool suit for the hot temperatures today [/SPOILER]
Pliny - HAHAHAHAHA!
OK, so simple is good, I get that. And I was thumbed handsomely for dialing it back yesterday. Which made me feel validated, certainly. But **** that ****. I need some outrageous green glen plaid in my life. So I bought this jacket.
[ The End.
Breaking out the three piece flannel suit, please excuse the sans pocket square I realise after I took the shot.
Great looks gents!!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In hindsight, I see that I should have worn a different shirt.

Used to have a shirt with a virtually identical pattern; nightmare to pair with anything barring solid-ish navy ties. Didn't wear it much as a result.

@NickPollica and @ridethecliche Thanks for the feedback.
I would wear knits or grens everyday if I didnt force myself to think of something else, but perhaps I shouldn't have forced today.
My reasoning was that I recalled a comment from Holdfast regarding another white trouser/light jacket fit of mine where I wore a navy tie and he thought it needed a lighter tie to harmonize better with the overall lightness of the outfit. Hence my choice today.

The difference was the other light jacket wasn't this one, right? Wasn't it a pale blue or something? Might be misremembering... but I don't think it was a grey houndstooth.

Anyway, I do think a light tie can work with this jacket too, but not with that kind of pattern. I used to have a pale grey similarly-scaled houndstooth suit and it was always difficult to use non-solid ties with it. Blockstripes would sometimes work, depending on colour, but not narrow stripes. I like the jacket, btw, and think there's plenty of fits it can work with inc. those the others mentioned.

... long sleeve one button placket popover, in cotton/linen.

Wearing it under a suit might be OK... but not that dark pinstripe suit. Beige cotton or brown linen or whatever; cool. But they wouldn't fly at work either.

Neat jacket. Not sure about the mid-brown tie & square. Either lighter or darker accessories, maybe?

In other news... I agree with Pingson in that tchoy doesn't need more taper on those trousers IMO.

Today:

Plus a couple of casuals from recent days:

VchyDtA.jpg

JpnrHJl.jpg

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Yes.

One of the problems that can arise with the current fashion toward strongly tapered trousers with narrow bottom widths is that they can make the shoes look disproportionately large. Couple that with a trend toward shoes with longer lasts and pointed toes and guys with proportionately large feet can end up looking bottom heavy. Not too long ago the principle was that the trouser should cover about two thirds of the shoe. I personally don’t see that as an inviolable principle, but I do think it’s something to think about. As with everything else, the body of the individual in question is the ultimate determinant.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Dressing for "optimality."

I totally don't. I have no need to look great and earn the respect of my peers through elegant sobriety.

Right now, I'm dressing to indulge my curiosity as much as anything else.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pinstripes were never "Out", They were eclipsed by the horrible skinny suit trend. same with DB.

No one ever said they were out. :paranoia:

One of the problems that can arise with the current fashion toward strongly tapered trousers with narrow bottom widths is that they can make the shoes look disproportionately large.
Couple that with a trend toward shoes with longer lasts and pointed toes and guys with proportionately large feet can end up looking bottom heavy. Not too long ago the principle was that the trouser should cover about two thirds of the shoe. I personally don’t see that as an inviolable principle, but I do think it’s something to think about. As with everything else, the body of the individual in question is the ultimate determinant.

Cheers,

Ac

Good point and agreed. :nodding:

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about @tchoy 's trousers I most certainly do not agree. There is already all the taper needed in those to match the top block, with waistcoat and jacket. Any narrower would just look odd to me.

As for the D-word, I'm not sure I see what you see
puzzled.gif

Absolutely. I'm afraid that too many people here are still afraid of the fuller trouser and it's one of the things that seems to stop otherwise excellent dressers progressing beyond a certain level here. I certainly don't mean to say that everyone should have every pair of trousers cut like this, but we need to recognise when someone is simply doing things more classically and indeed just better - as tchoy is here.

@Monkeyface , I'm sure there's all kinds of rationalizations one could make for the fit, but in the end, it just doesn't look good - unlike a lot else you show here.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you are talking about @tchoy's trousers I most certainly do not agree. There is already all the taper needed in those to match the top block, with waistcoat and jacket. Any narrower would just look odd to me.

idk, maybe its just me, but there is a "bunch" behind his left knee that i dont love, and the right leg under the knee is kind of off to me. its a nit, but its just not what i prefer. its certainly not bad, its great even, its just not what i love, id like it a tad more crisp. you may now berate me for being a #menswear luzar!

--

HF - sublime.

Last edited:

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

idk, maybe its just me, but there is a "bunch" behind his left knee that i dont love, and the right leg under the knee is kind of off to me. its a nit, but its just not what i prefer. its certainly not bad, its great even, its just not what i love, id like it a tad more crisp. you may now berate me for being a #menswear luzar!

Yeah, it's just you..... ;)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, it's just you..... ;)

i figured as much.

the truth is like this, for me. pants that are cut like tchoys are going to be infinitely more comfortable for anyone who is not build like SVB. they allow a much greater range of motion, and are much more enjoyable to walk in, and especially to sit in. for a guy with a horrible top block like myself, i really should have trousers like that. like, all my trousers.

the problem i find for me is twofold.

1. i prefer the look of a slightly trimmer pant. i just like them to be a tad more crisp in the line from waist to hem, especially in the back of the pants. now, i am not advocating jegging level tightness, just a bit slimmer. all the same, it will never be as comfortable for most people as tchoys pant cut is, even though i like that look better.

2. most RTW pants that have the more comfortable fit up top for me, are way too wide going all the way down as well, and that is something i really dont like. sure, you can taper them, and i have done that, but its never really 100% right looking for me when you mess with the leg too much. ideally, i need bespoke trousers for maximum comfort and cut that is to my liking. i am actually pursuing this for my next suit, going to try trousers with a fuller cut and a higher rise, and i hope i like it. but it will be a while before my full wardrobe reflect this change. finding my personal sweet spot between comfort and crispness has proven to be a difficult endeavor.

luv2breformed

Reaction score
I prefer trousers to be consistent with the jacket in terms of slim or not. The whole fit needs to look coherent between the top and bottom block. If the jacket has a lot of waist suppression, is shorter/higher buttoning point etc, then I prefer slim trousers with it. If the jacket is a bit more conservative/middle of the road, I prefer slightly roomier trousers to match.

MonkeyFace had a photo of himself standing on the beach with slim trousers on a jacket that fit him fairly well. The difference between the blocks was stark IMO and I did not like it.

IMO TCHOY's trousers are in perfect harmony with the jacket imo.

imo.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics