• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But a question I want to ask folks in general: do you guys dress with optimality as your primary goal?

I don't know man...

It's been so hot over here lately that I've just been reaching for chinos, boat shoes, and half sleeve shirts or rolling my sleeves up and calling it a day. I work with patients so I always have to look presentable, but the question is also what the purpose of optimality is.

Optimal is context derived. In my mind it would take into consideration the thoughts of those you would interact with on any particular day, no?

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I step into the closet in the morning...I find a piece that I want to wear...maybe it is something I haven't worn in a while...or I thought about wearing it the day before...or I just stumble across it and it looks good...or its appropriate for the weather...or any number of other variables that could come across my mind...and then I pick items around it.

I don't dress for optimality...except in the case of events where I know that I should...such as a business meeting that actually matters, etc. etc. you get the point...

It's nice to have variety...and to not conform.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm really sorry for doing this but I really have no choice.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well chosen combo- something about paisley ties that likes checks IMO

u got the DB fit nailed - noice

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But a question I want to ask folks in general: do you guys dress with optimality as your primary goal?

According to classic economic theory, every rational agent has his/her own utility function which s/he attempts to maximize by buying a bundle of goods and services with a limited budget. I think dressing is fairly similar. The utility function is one's personal style. The limited budget is one's wardrobe. The bundle is one's outfit. I think only an irrational agent would answer no to your question. That being said, getting dressed for me is a constrained optimization problem. I usually pick one or two things that I really want to wear that day and build an outfit around them. Also, once I iron a shirt and pants, it's very rare that I'll pick out a different shirt or pants to wear. Usually, the hardest thing for me to pick out is a pocket square because it's usually the last thing I pick out, hence it has to work with all the other elements I chose before it.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kulata and betel - v nice.

SB - sorry, not feelin that one.

clags - do not hate that, but do not love either. i think id prefer that tie with a pin/chalk stripe, dont love it with the pane. ymmv.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a 'jumper' (half-zip sweatshirt, etc.) beneath a suit...i don't think it works

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a 'jumper' (half-zip sweatshirt, etc.) beneath a suit...i don't think it works

It's the Eidos long sleeve one button placket popover, in cotton/linen. Every time it's posted it gets like 20+ thumbs. Anyways, like I said, I strongly dislike wearing a suit without a tie, but wearing it like this shows that you've intentionally chosen not to wear a tie, as it's impossible to wear one with this shirt. It's not an optimal look, but this is what people in my industry wear. It becomes a question of wanting to be sartorially correct, but standing out, or dressing like your coworkers, but being incorrect.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to fit in for once. Everyone is wearing suits with no ties around here, so I thought I'd join in. I'm still not a big fan of the look, but it was a sweltering day, and it is a little more bearable without a tie.

IMG]http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/1365519/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
/SPOILER

Has the appearance of a pin stripe suit w/ a polo shirt. Not a great look, imo. Nice suit, nice shirt, but together, not nice.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I kinda like it. Wish it had a square though.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MF - I don't hate "the look" but i think that is the wrong shirt for that suit. That suit with a crisp white **** and no tie, or that shirt and a lighter color summer suit, could be really cool, but together they jusy dont play nice for me.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to fit in for once. Everyone is wearing suits with no ties around here, so I thought I'd join in. I'm still not a big fan of the look, but it was a sweltering day, and it is a little more bearable without a tie.

Has the appearance of a pin stripe suit w/ a polo shirt. Not a great look, imo. Nice suit, nice shirt, but together, not nice

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads