• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been trying to find that series on Netflix, Amazon, or, really, any streaming service to no avail. I think the pacing of the TV series was a much better fit to Le Carré's book than the 2011 movie.

Try amazon.co.uk. They have a lot of great stuff.

SYCSYC

Reaction score
Tiday after toi much alcohol:

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But since it was 75 in SF and I got it back from the tailor yesterday, first outing of the new hudson today. In GNAT I was told not to shorten the jacket - still think so?

Leaving for Japan in the morning! :slayer:

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes--length looks perfect to me.

llamaone

Reaction score
Hmm, your legs look awfully short. I say jacket should be shorter.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But since it was 75 in SF and I got it back from the tailor yesterday, first outing of the new hudson today. In GNAT I was told not to shorten the jacket - still think so?

The jacket is the right length. Leave it alone.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes--length looks perfect to me.  

Hmm, your legs look awfully short. I say jacket should be shorter.

Sweet, a debate. I should note, my legs are awfully short. Like disproportionately so. This has odd consequences when working with jacket length.

The jacket is the right length. Leave it alone.

Of course you think so. All your jackets could double as overcoats ;) Kidding, kidding.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jc, try for non-robo shots and get a feel (or pics) for how it looks when you're not completely still. And other shots would likely help better. For my money, the most important part to evaluate would be how the jacket looks in relation to your backside. If it's properly covered, you're good to go. If it's properly covered and then some, maybe a shortening is in the offing.

Even with the robo pose, I say it looks about perfect to me when buttoned. It only seems long when it's unbuttoned, which perhaps serves to negatively exaggerate your legs?

If you did shorten, I'd say a centimeter or two at most...but all things considered I'd keep as is...

llamaone

Reaction score
^ Interesting that these "jacket is the right length" folks are eschewing the common barometers of proper length, namely these three:

1) The "bisecting" rule. The jacket should approximately split the body in half. Yours does not. Your upper half (as delineated by your coat hem) is quite obviously greater than your lower half.

2) The "thumb" rule. This is only a rule of thumb (no pun intended), of course. But it works 95% of the time, and I see no reason why it shouldn't work for you. The rule states that the jacket should align with the first knuckle of the thumb (going upward from the nail). By this rule, your jacket should be about 1.5" shorter. This is rather significant, especially for someone of short stature.

3) The overall look. Just looking at you, your jacket length makes your legs look short. Refer to 1) above. So again, I say your jacket is too long, and I'd like to see the above posters support their conclusions with reasoning.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This jacket seems longer than most of your normal jackets but I always feel its good to have some sort of variety within the wardrobe. Its nice to have some more modern/shorter jackets and then some more traditional lengths. In this case I like the length a lot. I dont think it needs to be shortened

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads