• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheoProf

Reaction score
At my inlaws in Indianapolis and heading to a Good Friday Tenebrae Service.
BB linen/cotton blazer
BB pinpoint Oxford
Nieman Marcus knit tie
Lands End chinos
AE Jeffersons
AE belt
image_zpsgn7t9p7x.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom Miler

Reaction score

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if I went a little to far in the shirt/tie/jacket pairing. I wore light grey flannels and brown Strands on the bottom so nothing too fancy there. Re: the earlier subject of the DressedWell forum, I found that I had a few pictures on that thread as well, one was a pretty ghastly photography disaster, one was a jacket that just didn't fit right but was by no means embarrassing, and the other was a blue blazer with a grey wool tie that, although uninspired, did not seem horrible to me. Regardless, other than a comment on one of the jackets not fitting right, the critiques on that thread are not very constructive and tend to be rather demeaning or presumptuous of people's life conditions or mental status or self-worth. For instance, why was my combo so egregious? Constructive feedback would be nice and just posting pictures without any commentary isn't the best way to make people dress better. Though i am not sure that is the point of that thread.

Regardless, I hope I don't bring the quality down too much here. Enjoy your holiday those who celebrate.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice combo. I think that the marked shoulders work very well with tweed, falls neatly in a long Savile Row tradition. However, looks like your right shoulder is more structured (possibly even roped) than the left. Or is it just the light?

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Tom Miler , as soon as I saw those photos, I wondered whether that was a vintage fabric. They just don't weave 'em like that any more, do they!

Here's a suit I inherited from my father. I guess it's likely from the late 60s or early 70s. The cloth has similar colours and complexity to yours.

And from where, might you ask, was this wondrously complex fabric sourced?

The suit itself is from a Viennese tailoring house. My guess is that it was made as a bespoke piece for my father.

For your information, the suit is a two-piece, total weight 1.9kg. If there's (say) 3 metres of cloth in there, and allowing for the weight of lining and canvas, I guess the fabric weight would be around 500-550g/m2. Heavy and warm, certainly; but somehow it still breathes well.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice combo. I think that the marked shoulders work very well with tweed, falls neatly in a long Savile Row tradition. However, looks like your right shoulder is more structured (possibly even roped) than the left. Or is it just the light?
Yes I do like how the shoulder works here. This is a different tailor than my other jackets, and this tailor tried to deal with my significant shoulder drop with more padding and roping, while the other one allows the jacket shoulder to conform with my slope/drop instead of adding more padding, so in this case you will see a bit more of it. They're two ways of dealing with a problem and presumably neither does it perfectly, but I don't mind it here at all, especially when I don't mind a stronger look here, especially with the hacking and ticket pockets. With softer shoulder and patch pockets perhaps the other method is more suitable.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have decided to wear this suit to night's vigil, but had it been better with light blue shirt instead of this cream?

Tom Miler

Reaction score
@Tom Miler , as soon as I saw those photos, I wondered whether that was a vintage fabric. They just don't weave 'em like that any more, do they!

Here's a suit I inherited from my father. I guess it's likely from the late 60s or early 70s. The cloth has similar colours and complexity to yours.

And from where, might you ask, was this wondrously complex fabric sourced?

The suit itself is from a Viennese tailoring house. My guess is that it was made as a bespoke piece for my father.

For your information, the suit is a two-piece, total weight 1.9kg. If there's (say) 3 metres of cloth in there, and allowing for the weight of lining and canvas, I guess the fabric weight would be around 500-550g/m2. Heavy and warm, certainly; but somehow it still breathes well.

Indeed they don't make them like that any more. The looms are different now and such cloths will never come back.... I am very privileged to have a collection of couple dozens coupons of such fabrics. These are few coupons that I acquired recently:

First one from the left is 100% cashmere. The next three are all wool, very similar in texture and weight to the one I presented (~600g). The most interesting one that I plan to use this winter is the lavender/purple/pinkish one on the right. It is incredible because from the distance it changes color to "glowing gray". I fell in love with it so much that I kinda regret that summer is coming :p

And your father's suit fabric is Reid&Taylor. That is world's top league :D :D :D The lack of modesty on their tag inside the suit are no empty words ;) I have a coupon of striped mohair made by them that I plan to use this summer (looking into turning it into a DB suit). I think it can be my perfect summer suit as it is not light but the weave is open so I hope for some air inside.

winghus

Reaction score

Zegna
JWN
Panta
Drakes

Would this work with a silk version of this tie? I like the jacket and have one virtually identical in color/pattern. I also have a silk neat tie in a very close shade of rust (on my monitor at least).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads