1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

In support:

[​IMG]

18 people like this.
  2. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Nope and slighty-less-nope-because-the-suit-and-shirt-are-both-brighter-and-the-square-clearly-got-trampled-by-large-cats-but-still-nope. :D

Rules shmules, YMMV, and all that, but I find the white square with shirt that has white suggestion to typically be the right call. Structure makes me feel safe.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

What if the buttons be white

4. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Next Level Matching:

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

The Italians think your crazy. It provides great contrast, the same way contrast is great between other items. It really doesn't make sense to say that a tie and PS should contrast tastefully but a shirt and PS must have direct interplay.

In any case, while you certainly don't have to like it - that is your prerogative, and that of anyone else who would like to posit that a white PS must be worn with a shirt that has white in it - but its a staple look that is well documented to be quite firmly planted within the confines of appropriate classically tailored menswear.

All the suggestions of all the well dressed posters of SF don't change the fact the white PS + blue shirt is absolutely correct, as far as rules go.

Might not be appealing to everyone, visually, but it is perfectly fine to do and can only be critiqued subjectively, knowing that many others rightfully disagree.

2 people like this.
  6. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

I've no doubt most people will agree with you.

And although it makes no difference because the end result is that the white would need to be in the shirt, I'm not basing the decision on the need for direct interplay - my view is that white as a color does better when it has other white to balance it out; to keep it from being the focal point of contrast. I only like a tie with white in it (typically a stripe in a repp or dots of some kind) under the same white-in-the-shirt guidelines.

Plus who cares what Italians think, anyway? :satisfied:

3 people like this.
  7. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

As opposed to?

[​IMG]

*shudder*

8. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

I guess I'll remove that from my shopping cart, then.... [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

You do you, Wigs. You do you.

1 person likes this.
  10. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

I don't see why you don't just do that in this thread. Pop in and out as you want. Post feedback as you describe. This thread is perfect for that.

2 people like this.
  11. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Hmmmm. Good question. The main answer is that I really don't want to deal with blow-back from people who had no interest in my opinion. Not everyone wants that, which is fine. But then when that happens, it will have been a waste of time writing up the lengthy critique, and the ensuing brouhaha of, "Shut up I did right" ... "No, no, you really didn't, because x,y,z" ... "No, seriously shut up I did just fine because of a,b, c, and anyways I like it just fine as it is, even if its wrong..." becomes a royal pain for everyone and will surely lead to the abrupt end of the critiques.

We have seen this happen many times with old, venerable regulars who got so sick of that they just said enough and stopped even trying to help, rather understandably.

The hope, for me, is kind of that if it was its own thread, and the feedback was given only to those interested, and with the understanding that they might be told that they look atrocious, in a nice nice way, of course, that it might prevent the above.

Its all academic really because I don't think Ill do it. So, perhaps best to forget I mentioned it, and, as you said, Ill just do it here from time to time and hope for the best. Sorry. ='[

12. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

1 person likes this.
  13. LAluck5

LAluck5 Senior member

What if people just tagged you, as I will likely do tomorrow morning.

3 people like this.
  14. Hal Freeman

Hal Freeman Senior member

I see sir, thank you for your advice! So it just doesn't have enough contrast? You make a good point. So possibly a brighter tie such as a burgundy or mid-navy next time? I picked the charcoal tie because I wanted to wear something dark and formal for a function I had to attend, but I will try different ones next time and repost!

@thinwhiteduke sir, I mean-- I can work with them in a sense, but most of the time I buy some of these shirts with a tie or two in mind (i.e white shirt with brown stripes = plain brown ties, etc.). Like with that white shirt w/ grey stripes, I had black and dark ties in mind to be used with the shirt. You could say a better way to rephrase my initial question would be; "what would be good alternative ties to wear with that shirt besides dark/black ties? Or ties with the general colour of the shirt?"

Hal

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  15. Hal Freeman

P-O-P:

[​IMG]

Hal

5 people like this.
  16. bienluienapris

bienluienapris Senior member

Completely blue for me today :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18 people like this.
  17. Hal Freeman

Nicely tied tie!

edit: Really like how the tie and suit match very closely!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  18. bienluienapris

bienluienapris Senior member

Thanks you very much.

1 person likes this.
  19. blekit

blekit Senior member

Today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

* Suitsupply
    * Tyrwhitt
    * tie and ps from Poszetka
    * Massimo Dutti pants
    * Yanko shoes

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The discussion over last couple of pages was very interesting and valuable. I find constructive criticism to be the best way to step up one's game, kudos @in stitches and @MrVenneri !

16 people like this.
  20. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Something simple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Formosa
    Simone Abbarchi
    Hober
    Kimber
    Kimber