• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dull, as opposed to sedate. There really isn't anything much going for either of them. The first is on the bad side of dull; the choice of tie isn't doing anything for the yellow-gray of the suit. The second on the good side of dull, standard navy suit, blue shirt, blue neat. Compare these with Pingson's usual fare, and you'll see why dull =/= sedate.

That being said, I appreciate spectre putting money where his mouth is.

Quote:

You don't care to take into account the style, cut and construction of the suits (from what can be seen from the top half of these limited photos...). I mean, the shoulders and lapels seem light years ahead of most posters as do the fabrics. Just sayin...

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do look good, but there is no possible way to judge fit, for better or worse, from those pics.

As to the style, Clags summed it up nicely.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can't tell much from small pictures taken from the side. I guess I can see the jacket's shoulders and lapel placement. Nothing really stands out about them (though at third inspection, the navy looks like it has some nice shoulders).

A fit is good or bad regardless of what other people wear or post.

Last edited:

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You don't care to take into account the style, cut and construction of the suits (from what can be seen from the top half of these limited photos...). I mean, the shoulders and lapels seem light years ahead of most posters as do the fabrics. Just sayin...
The shirt collar though..It's like nobody pays attention to shirts.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Polo Ralph Lauren silk / linen Hibiscus print blazer

Thom Browne white OCBD

Turnbull & Asser grape spotted pocket square 

Man Fur

Bally alligator belt 

J. Crew Bowery pant in Oxford cloth

Gaziano & Girling “St. Tropez”

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt collar though..It's like nobody pays attention to shirts.

Yeah, I hear you (and all the others who weighed in...Clags, Stitch, etc...). I was just curious if someone who went so far out of their way to upset many forum members would get a fair shake on their own duds (when surprisingly nice compared to many other suspected trolls...).

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nifty jacket, spoo. wish the PS played into the black/white/cream theme, though.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoo, looking good as always (if in an especially bold manner!). Serious question (and not intended to be even remotely rhetorically snide...): Have you ever worn that jacket before and do you plan on ever wearing it again? I mean, to ask a broader question...how often can such barn burners be worn? (You owning it, though...cheers!)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is there a PS in there? Can't see anything anymore, visual overload....

yeah man, its purple! classic spoo lol.

Eric Michael

Reaction score
Holds up in comparison to this:

No small feat, Clags.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Also, every time I use the DSLR for full-length pics, I go back to the iPhone. Too many variables, and with no remote, I have to take multiple pics to zero in on focus. Throw in f-stop, etc., and the phone wins out. The DSLR is great for "selfie" style pics, though.
Really like the rollover lapel... not very common, but a great look when done properly.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Spoo, looking good as always (if in an especially bold manner!). Serious question (and not intended to be even remotely rhetorically snide...): Have you ever worn that jacket before and do you plan on ever wearing it again? I mean, to ask a broader question...how often can such barn burners be worn? (You owning it, though...cheers!)

thanks! I just got the jacket yesterday so still lots of life ahead of it. If less than 25% of your attendees haven't attended the last function you wore it at… wear it again!

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for posting. From what I can tell from those small pics, both suits seem to fit well and the fabrics look nice too. As others have already noted, both fits could benefit from taller shirt collars. The dull, sedate impression that's been mentioned by others may well be caused by precisely those shirt collars. IMHO, too low collars make the wearer look tired and old, while a nice tall collar gives the wearer a much more dynamic and confident air. A simple white linen PS would have enhanced both looks as well, I think. Maybe you've taken your minimalism one step too far, in this respect. Goes to show that the simplification of anything is not always sensational, but most likely not bad.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah man, its purple! classic spoo lol.

I'm sorry guys, but I think it's hideous. Looks like a jacket a woman would wear, to me. And since we're on that subject and to stir things up a bit, I wonder how the reactions would be if someone other than Spoo or one of the SF incrowd would have posted a fit like this? I'm pretty sure he would have been burned to the ground...
fight[1].gif

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks! I just got the jacket yesterday so still lots of life ahead of it. If less than 25% of your attendees haven't attended the last function you wore it at… wear it again!

Thanks for the reply! An inspiration to hear, as I have many a bold garment that I have proudly worn once (or twice), but which then languishes because I fear the salient features render it too memorable (though, perhaps this is due to my revolving in a rather small social constellation).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads