• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

doomx

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the semi-hijack, but I need some thoughts on which jacket I should keep. The group on this thread has impeccable taste, and any opinions would be highly appreciated. The shoulder divot on one of the jackets is more of a mirage and rushed photography than anything else. I got two replies on the AAQGAA thread, but a few more would be great.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/79716/a...ions-here-classic-menswear/32310#post_8346459

TheoProf

Reaction score
Looks good Theo - straight out of Central Casting 'white male, Theology Professor type' but I like it!

Buchanan tartan?

I like it too Theo. But the button downs date your fit. Try a cropped button down and experiment with different collars. You have a long neck and the long pointy buton down collar here brings attention to your neck.

Add a pocket square, even a white one and you'll look more contemporary. Also include some cool frames on your glasses, like a clear acrylic or wood frame. Great effort in your part. You're getting good at this.

I have a long neck too.

What's a cropped button down?

Like this collar

Good lord, no. Theo's BD is fine.

@Thin White Duke thanks! Although, you are right, it is a bit cliche. That said, it's the style I prefer.

@pravda I prefer to view the collar roll as classic rather than dated. I have a few of those lower profile OCBD's from lands end that I refuse to wear with ties because the tie seems to overwhelm the collar. I'm with @Caustic Man regarding the example provided. It's just not something I'd be interested in wearing.

Finally, I do have a long neck. Others have suggested higher collars. Is there a name for a type of collar that would sit higher or a brand that you would recommend for future purposes. I'd be interested in purchasing some the next time my budget allows. I'm at peace with the length of my neck though, so I hope this doesn't turn into something akin to the running commentary on @Koala-T 's hips from a couple of months back that ends with an underwear shot from Victor flexing in a mirror.
tounge.gif
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice Pliny and SYCSYC.

As for my collar suggestion, i would wear no tie with that example.

However being fully transparent, I do not like or own any traditional button downs. I put them in the same category as wire hangers.

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Thin White Duke thanks! Although, you are right, it is a bit cliche. That said, it's the style I prefer.

@pravda I prefer to view the collar roll as classic rather than dated. I have a few of those lower profile OCBD's from lands end that I refuse to wear with ties because the tie seems to overwhelm the collar. I'm with @Caustic Man regarding the example provided. It's just not something I'd be interested in wearing.

Finally, I do have a long neck. Others have suggested higher collars. Is there a name for a type of collar that would sit higher or a brand that you would recommend for future purposes. I'd be interested in purchasing some the next time my budget allows. I'm at peace with the length of my neck though, so I hope this doesn't turn into something akin to the running commentary on @Koala-T 's hips from a couple of months back that ends with an underwear shot from Victor flexing in a mirror.
tounge.gif
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It's hard to recommend brands without knowing what your budget is. I agree that if you want a button-down collar you should go for something with a better roll. As others have also stated, with your neck and face you should also consider trying some spread collars with a taller collar band--they'd be more flattering. If and when you get to the point when you're making purchasing decisions you should avail yourself of the GNAT thread.

Regarding this particular outfit (which for the record I did thumb), I'd have liked it more if there was greater contrast between jacket and trousers. When I first looked at the first picture I thought it was a suit. That's not the ideal initial impression for an odd jacket/trouser combination.

Cheers,

Ac

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You always look Pliny-like, and that is always awesome. It's very impressive how you make basic combinations look stellar.
While this is in no way an attempt to rain on Pliny's awesomeness, because it is undeniably awesome, I think this speaks to how excellent simple and subdued looks can, well, look. A splash of texture in the right places is the right recipe for turning something "plain" into something awesomely elegant, in my opinion!

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok guys. Lol. That collar is not meant to be taken literally or to be worn with a tie. I will never approach bd collars again. Obviously they're my krytonite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads