1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Today battling the rain and drizzle...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41 people like this.
  2. Deo Veritas

Deo Veritas Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Friday Tweed.

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  3. VulpesVulpes

VulpesVulpes New Member

[​IMG]

The crappy quality actually destroyed the details of the cashmere knitted tie from Calabrese 1924.
    So, sorry for that and the cropping.

4 people like this.
  4. Hal Freeman

Hal Freeman Senior member

@Caustic Man , I am still open for advice and I thank you for your breakdown and explanation of what could be improved. It is good to hear input from you. Maybe wearing three patterns was a bad call, and I will not disagree with being overly ambitious and eager as well. You could say that my eye hasn't been trained yet into knowing which goes with which and I will admit that sometimes it's tempting just to throw everything I've got into an ensemble--"oh peaked lapel suit with ticket pocket? OK, that seems flashy. Contrast collared shirt with double cuffs? Put it in the mix too" and etc--hoping that it will be any good, but now I see that it is not the case. At times, I get carried away easily and think the post had nothing wrong with it because I see the likes people give out sometimes and not hear any advice back and I assume nothing is wrong. That is why I will agree though on your point on how advice has been nonexistent lately too and I'm actually glad you gave your input regarding my post. Start simple--OK, I will keep that in mind for the next post sir. As for the fit. I know that most of my jackets are short, and unfortunately it may be some time before I get my next suit, but is there any other advice to fix the other fit issues besides jacket length?

Thank you,

Hal

5. Hal Freeman

Beautiful outfit sir @Leanderthal , I actually have similar pieces and you've actually inspired me to try something similar in the near future. I hope that is OK. Interesting tie choice by the way and awesome boots.

2 people like this.
  6. Lucido

Lucido Senior member

It really is a smashing jacket @Leanderthal - the wider lapels and extended shoulder are most flattering.

7. Leanderthal

Leanderthal Senior member

@Hal Freeman
    @Lucido

Thank you both so much, gentlemen! I really appreciate the positive feedback!

Haha, yes the tie is indeed interesting. It's a Drakes that I came across sometime last year and it had turned in to one of my favorite A/W ties. AlthoughIi don't wear it too often.

2 people like this.
  8. Hal Freeman

@Leanderthal Good find nonetheless! I reckon it is hard to match with different outfits?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  9. Jim Chu

Jim Chu Senior member

The formality of a three piece with the informality of tweed is interesting and simultaneously very nice.

1 person likes this.
  10. Leanderthal

Leanderthal Senior member

It can be a bit challenging. It pops for sure, so have to make sure to balance it.

1 person likes this.
  11. 1st Step

1st Step Senior member

"Boo-Who" Why don't you do - you! You're apologizing at every turn, find your Niche, do You! I disagree, this was not hideous, and if so, PM the guy - don't put him on Blast!

1 person likes this.
  12. Andres 13

Andres 13 Active Member

Today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    25 people like this.
  13. Marsay

Marsay Senior member

14. Marsay

Marsay Senior member

15. Tinkertrain

Tinkertrain Well-Known Member

This is a very nice suit, congrats, I love herringbone.

16. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last days of the winter holiday. Spent a snowy day visiting the famous Château de Chillon outside of Montreux. No explanation was given for the slightly creepy effigy on the way to the castle. Maybe they have occult sacrifices here.

Jacket: Arnys
    Shirt: Drake's
    Tie: Howard's
    PS: Calabrese
    Pants: Berg & Berg
    Boots: Red Wing (Beckman)

23 people like this.
  17. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Playing around the other day, no full body shot.

[​IMG]

18 people like this.
  18. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Many of your jackets seem tight in a general way. Pulling at the waist, divots on the sleeve head, rippling shoulder lines, etc. You seem like a fairly broad shouldered guy, so I'd suggest less shoulder padding, or none at all. Rather than desiring your jackets to be form fitting, you should try for shape. A jacket doesn't have to be tight in the least to have a shaped waist, giving the impression of an athletic body. Fit really is a complex thing and it takes more than simply a technical knowledge of clothes. It takes a knowledge of your own body. Be aware of who you are and what shape you take. Realize that no one is symmetrical and find out how your right side differs from your left, etc.

As for your patterns, it would be interesting to see what you come up with if you'd limit yourself to one single patterned item. Your first task, should you choose to accept it, is to emulate this look by Mr. Six as closely as possible...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    3 people like this.
  19. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

Have to say that I don't understand why @Hal Freeman keeps getting flak in this forum simply for being courteous. True, it may not be fashionable to be polite and respectful and Hal is certainly keeping it old school, but what is wrong with that?

Also agree with @Caustic Man that it is unfortunate that comments and advice are virtually non-existent in this thread at the moment. Yes, sometimes comments have been delivered by some people in a very direct manner that doesn't please everyone, but it would be boring if the alternative is no advice at all. I think that most of us that feel the need to use this outlet for our exhibitionistic tendencies are capable of both delivering and receiving comments. And if you don't agree with the comments you receive, simply ignore them.

5 people like this.
  20. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I agree with the advice to Hal given above by 1st Step. Be yourself. Gradually work on improving the fit of your clothing either with a proper tailor or a trusted associate at a good menswear shop. If you like details that are considered flashy by SF groupthink standards, just go for them. You are a young guy -- have fun with your clothes, be yourself, and don't be afraid to take chances with color and design. You will figure out what works best for your personality. You don't have to aspire to staid, boring fits if you don't want to and if they are not required by your profession.

3 people like this.