1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SYCSYC

SYCSYC Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26 people like this.
  2. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Great, sounds like an easy solution!

3. abidj

abidj Well-Known Member

@SYCSYC great textures and great fit.

4. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Piling on, @Michael81 's suit jacket is far too short. He should sell it or give it away.

4 people like this.
  5. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28 people like this.
  6. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Taking a stance different than my learned friend Bernoulli, I also believe, as does the OP, that the jacket to the suit as shown is too short for him. The OP has the advantage of being tall and thin, with long legs, such that the shortness of the jacket merely emphasizes his verticality, but, the hem of the jacket isn't covering his ass, and the button stance is too high. It is a shame, as the OP also noted, correctly, that the fabric is an interesting (and wearable) pattern, and on a shorter person would be an excellent fit.

Just my .02 etheriums . . .

2 people like this.
  7. DieuEtLesDames

DieuEtLesDames Senior member

RRL Madison boots
    BB corduroy jacket
    Polo ocbd and flannels

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

I'll just quote you for the purpose of brevity, but this can refer to everyone who joined the pigpile.

The jacket is indeed short. I haven't worn it in quite some time for this reason; the photo is old. Maybe I'll break it out the next time I'm in Italy. With 5-7 cm's of extra length it would be great. It is a pity, because the jacket fits really well otherwise. I have a cool SC, also from PLRL, which has the same issue - great fit, but too short. I actually wear the SC quite frequently - albeit away from the disapproving gaze of SF - but I am rather conscious of its shortness.

My problem, as Upr notes, is that I am somewhat tall (6'2") and have a narrow frame. The best RTW scenario for me is basically a heavily altered 50L, which puts me in drop 9 territory or worse. Even then the jacket is a bit short and the button stance somewhat higher than I would prefer, as you can see here:

[​IMG]

Tl; dr version: 2016 is a good time to be a short guy.

3 people like this.
  9. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

Amazing pants.

1 person likes this.
  10. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

From your description above, it sounds as if, off the rack, you would be a EU 46 or 48L (equivalent to a US 36 or 38 Long), of which (if the US is any example), virtually none are made, either in the US or Finland. I have a friend in the UK who has a similar problem, if more complex - tall, skinny, short torso, long arms and legs. He's a 38L US/UK size but the jackets are too long, and 40L, the trousers are too big, and, with 38 Regulars, the jacket my be a proper length, but the sleeves are way too short (he has 36" sleeve length arms).

You need to do a long professional gig in a country with excellent and cheap made-to-measure tailoring - the rack, I fear, is not your friend.

11. Braddock

Braddock Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30 people like this.
  12. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

You speak the truth. I recently replaced my navy suit with a Lazio from Suitsupply (cost: €300) and paid €160 in alterations plus shipping.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  13. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

Madder, from yesterday's fit.

19 people like this.
  14. Jim Chu

Jim Chu Senior member

...which makes Choc sosa all the more amazing that he's 6'8" and nails it every time.

2 people like this.
  15. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

To a slightly lesser degree what you describe has been my situation for most or all of my life. It has always been quite difficult to get a OTR jacket that fit me across the shoulders and was long enough. Almost anything that did fit in those dimensions was so voluminous that the subsequent alterations were more like major surgery. I realize that it is not an option available to all, but that is partly why bespoke is such a revelation.

16. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

17. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

It's always interesting to read stuff like this. I've found that the more I get into CM, the more exacting I have become in my understanding of fit, and obviously I am not alone. It's strange to think there was once a time when I considered myself lucky to be tall and thin (it's pretty nice in other situations of course, just not for menswear).

I'm basically at the point where I want everything altered. As a university man, bespoke is simply beyond my current resources, but hopefully in the future that will change. There is a decent MTM option in Helsinki which many Finnish bloggers use (two of which post here), but I don't really wear suits so much to justify the cost and time that would entail.

This is one of the reasons I'm happy to pay it; in the final analysis, €460 for a well-fitting suit made from Italian wool is a pretty sweet deal.

The design you own option (which I have tried) is decent, but it is still essentially RTW, although having trousers that only require hemming is definitely convenient.

I asked about the MTM program when I was in Brussels but they insisted that an MTM suit cost €1000, even though it says nothing of the sort on the website. So far the results people have posted indicate it is a great option if you live in a city which has a B&M store.

18. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

J. Press sport coat. Old overcoat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

38 people like this.
  19. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

@mcobinad, you have a beautiful family! Always love seeing you all dressed up.

1 person likes this.
  20. Alocin

Alocin Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure what I was looking at but today I tried to catch the last bit of sunlight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish I could pull it together likely of the members here but I try. Also I'm still dictated by what an iPhone can do in terms of the quality of my shots.

Suit: Pal Zileri Sartoriale
    Shirt: Kamakura
    Tie: Berg&Berg
    PS: Anonymous
    Shoes: Bexley

6 people like this.