• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired by one of my favorite Ethan Newton fits.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Six, I am having trouble reconciling the tie and hank, both in palette and pattern.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tonik ? @Mr. Six

@Gerry Nelson .. 'circumferentially-challenged' -wa ?

Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sugarbutch Me too! I wasn't completely sold on it but decided to roll with it to see how I liked it by the end of the day. I don't think it ever fully conhered for me, but it's kind of interesting. I think a slightly lighter shade of blue in the square and differently oriented squiggles (i.e. the square that Ethan used) would have worked better, if I was going to try to make this work better.

@Pliny Harrisons Fine Classics.

Last edited:

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the entirety of it, right there. In my opinion, the trousers are too short. Actually, the jacket is also too short, at least that what I infer from the photographs. Did you lengthen the sleeves, also? I ask because the buttons seem rather high on the sleeves, although I accept the possibility of confirmation bias creeping in. But I am sorry to say that the suit does look to be too short overall.

I mean this with all due respect, but this cut and style of suit does nothing for your figure. In my opinion, the trousers need inches of ease from the thigh down and some added length, and the jacket button stance and overall torso length should be dropped an inch to an inch and a half. The fabric seems quite lovely, though.

Thanks for your input. This suit is clearly a work in progress so its helpful. The pants are indeed a problem. It might be possible to lower the waist and pinch the crotch to improve the balance, but I might have to resign myself to wearing the jacket as a separate. One of the reasons I took a chance on the suit was that the fabric works well for a sc as well. As for the length of the jacket it looks a little shorter in the last picture than it actually is, but it might be something that I have to look into. I have not lengthened the sleeves, but the previous owner might have.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dig those suspenders!

@DiplomaticTies how do you think that fabric holds up as a suit, particularly the pants?

I think the fabric works very well for a suit. Perhaps not for a very formal cut, but as a little more casual winter suit it's perfect. Even if the touch is soft, almost like cashmere, there is still enough rigidity to make it work. I do suspect that it will have to be pressed on a regular basis if you want to keep crease and shape.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First shot at the green jacket challenge. I think the pants don't go as well with the jacket as I hoped.
[COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
LL
Really? I like it. The jacket would be more the center of attention if the pants were, say, light grey flannel, but it still works quite well imo.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? I like it. The jacket would be more the center of attention if the pants were, say, light grey flannel, but it still works quite well imo.

Thanks. That was the problem. I think the pants don't highlight the jacket, but take away from it.

I like almost everything about this. If it were me, I'd probably not choose a blue stripe OCBD, but otherwise I think this works really well. I see nothing wrong with the jacket and trousers and I think they compliment well. And I find myself disagreeing with almost everything @robxznyc wrote. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

Thanks. The shirt is green OCBD though.

Hi, I like how they fit you but as you mentioned about the matching, I find the brushed texture from the blazer, pants and cardigan too close so that it looks heavy and perhaps mismatched suits. I did see the herringbone pattern on the pants but I assume a lighter weight pants with a smoother finish will make the look fresher.

Usually I like earthy green and warmer yellow but this particular yellow from the pants is rather aged.

Finally, I find the top part heavy caused by the color of cardigan and tie, as well as a bit busy with colors. I mostly stay away from pocket square, especially when the outfit is heavily textured. If I wear a solid suit I might use a solid pocket square to add a hint of color. Multicolored pocket squares might be too much for day time and more suitable for nightlife.

Interesting points. I think the color of the pants and jacket are far enough a part to not be confused as a suit. I'm unsure about the texture argument. I would think that smooth and rough textures don't go together, but I'll do a little experimenting. Thanks.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow...I love every individual piece of that @Cleav . I love it all together too, of course.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The third of four weeks of faculty candidate interviews. At least today's candidate made it easy by showing up in sneakers! You had better be Einstein's second coming, son.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads