• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MeachamLake

Reaction score
It definitely looks better after tailoring, but I fear the shoulders may be a bit too big. You could always get a lapel hole put in, but I'm not sure about the ventless part. That would be weird.

Yeah, I have no idea why the guy who ordered this decided to have it ventless. I know it was a bit of thing in the 80s/90s, so it may have been a more fashion forward choice.

I suspect the shoulders look big because of the camera angle. They fit pretty much bang on in real life, there's no overhang at all. No padding thank god.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My dad and mom were in a church in Alsace-Lorraine in the early 80s. My mom was sitting somewhere she shouldn't (a bench near some construction), and a guard approached them and asked her to move (in French, presumably). My dad responded in German that his wife was simply very tired. The guard then responded with something along the lines of:

"Listen, you Germans have your rules; we have ours. I thought you all were a very rule following people"

My father objected and the guard continued half jokingly "Come on now, we don't want to bring out the guns"

To which my father feigned shock and replied "But we Germans are a peace loving people, as you French should know."

They were kicked out of the church.

Hey, Napoleon started it.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today, fighting the incoming weather, relic of the storm that dumped all that snow on east coast Murrica...

cezinho

Reaction score
Always inspirational Cleav.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, fighting the incoming weather, relic of the storm that dumped all that snow on east coast Murrica...

[...]

"Quick! Back to the carriage and then to the Palace, James. We can't keep the Queen waiting, my dear fellow!"

Cheers,

Ac
smile.gif

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

SFF:
LX
KW

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent suit, square, tie, and beard length. Why the unbuttoned OCBD (for you--I know the general contours of collar sprezzatura have been discussed here before)?

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Certain elements of sprezzatura appeal to me. Basically anything which requires more effort than doing it the 'right way" is out as something I'd ever do (and often as something I'd ever appreciate as others, though there are exeptions). But since not buttoning the collar takes less effort than buttoning it, it is a manifestation of sprezzatura I've liked seeing on others (provided they didn't go overboard with everything else).

As it turns out, I like the way it feels wearing it. I know in GNAT we've talked about the importance of being (psychologically) comfortable in your clothes as an important element of coming across as well dressed. And yeah, I like having my collars unbuttoned. Feels right.

---

My wife bought me a beard trimmer. I took the hint.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RAF Blue flannel, pink broadcloth, navy grenadine (with polka dots)
smile.gif

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Certain elements of sprezzatura appeal to me. Basically anything which requires more effort than doing it the 'right way" is out as something I'd ever do (and often as something I'd ever appreciate as others, though there are exeptions). But since not buttoning the collar takes less effort than buttoning it, it is a manifestation of sprezzatura I've liked seeing on others (provided they didn't go overboard with everything else).

As it turns out, I like the way it feels wearing it. I know in GNAT we've talked about the importance of being (psychologically) comfortable in your clothes as an important element of coming across as well dressed. And yeah, I like having my collars unbuttoned. Feels right.

---

My wife bought me a beard trimmer. I took the hint.

I don't like the unbuttoned look here. The rest of the fit is boring and conservative (also, quite nice). The inclusion of sprezz looks affected and disjointed, not the result of hastily putting on a suit and rushing to an important meeting after losing time in the company of scantily-clad champagne floozies.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't like the unbuttoned look here. The rest of the fit is boring and conservative (also, quite nice). The inclusion of sprezz looks affected and disjointed here, not the result of hastily putting on a suit and rushing to an important meeting after losing time in the company of questionable hussies.

I'm wearing bright red flip flops though.

(Also, I guess I don't consider triple patch pocket tweed as conservative. It sort of evokes academia in my mind. So maybe boring, yeah)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads