1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I don't see a problem with either element. Indeed to me this is a well-balanced outfit with a nice balance of white, grey and black, offset by a hint of gold in the collar bar.

The tie may not be "SF-friendly" but otherwise, where's the problem? It features a small-scale pattern which nicely complements the larger butcher's stripe pattern of the shirt.

The other thing I like about this tie is that its pattern and sheen give it a very 3D effect, nicely highlighting Hal's perfectly executed knot and dimple.

Thumbed.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    4 people like this.
  2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

It's ugly.

3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

No.

3 people like this.
  4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

[​IMG]

5. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Did someone say stripes? Mr @sebastian mcfox looks awesome in that navy chalk stripe flannel suit and I will admit I saw the fit this morning and decided what to wear today... OK, OK, today wasn't really a flannel weather here, but I don't care, I dress by the calendar not by the weather forecast.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  6. pravda

pravda Senior member

Wow @Poszetka, another awesome fit. Well done

7. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

It should teach you that it can be done....very well.

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Color/texture should trump abstract seasonal associations. I think it looks fine.

9. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Tell that to Mr. Fox:

:)

This. Though personally I think that all slubby silk ties should be burned...

While we're on the subject of ties, @Coxsackie, @Caustic Man is right, you know.

10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Quote: While we're on the subject of ties, @Coxsackie , @Caustic Man is right, you know.

No he's not. I am.

More specifically, nobody is right. Or wrong. Some ties are truly hideous. Some are SF-approved. And some are fine, but not liked here. Hal Freeman's tie is fine, but it's not going to get a lot of traction here, simply because of herdthink.

I couldn't give a fuck about herdthink and I think that tie is fine. Not only that - it's absolutely the right tie for the rest of Hal's outfit.

8 people like this.
  11. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

I was 96% joking with Wiggles, but agree with Elio on Mcfox. I have that Vanda and despite it being a "grenadine shantung" it's much more the latter and I don't think it looks congruent with a flannel suit.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

You agree that slubby ties should be burned? Good man.

3 people like this.
  13. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

I'm curious - why? Seasonality? Weight?

15. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Agree. IMO there is too much herdthink apparent in SF over all these years. Most of the fits are frankly getting really boring, not because they are bad, but basically from sheer repetition of a few basic themes. Not helped when subjective opinions of "ugly" gets delivered "caustically"- a deliberate attempt to be obnoxious is a bit stale.

2 people like this.
  16. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Probably silly, but I've completely bought into slubs going exclusively with S/S outfits. Maybe because they aren't soft or smooth, which is what F/W is to me (tweed notwithstanding, but also not right with shantung). That Vanda is actually pretty heavy as you well know, but the weave is really loose. The fact that your suit is flannel chalk stripe, which is even more serious, probably makes it harder for me to like that tie here - the dots feel too big to stay with the theme.

Or something like that.

17. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

What about heavily textured ties, e.g. silk bourettes or woollens? To me, these are classic autumn/winter textures, but their roughness and three-dimensionality is similar to that of slubs (e.g. raw silks).

And where do knits fit into all this?

1 person likes this.
  18. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Yeah, I dunno, I'm too tired to come up with any kind of coherent response or structure around it... and considering I had to look up what silk bourette even was I'm very clearly no @TweedyProf when it comes to these matters. Night, y'all.

19. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

A delightfully cool and rainy Monday at the crazy insane James Bond Villain's Lair that is Palmaz Winery in Napa. Great tour and excellent wine.

[​IMG]

Suit: Hemrajani
    Shirt: Proper Cloth
    Cravat: Cravat Club
    Square: Drake's
    Shoes: Edward Green
    Hat: John Penman
    Arm Candy: Mrs Andy57

20 people like this.
  20. Hal Freeman

Hal Freeman Senior member

First of all, thank you for the kind words sir. Additionally, I did not expect to cause this much discussion over my tie.. my apologies. I appreciate the input from all you people though, whether you lot like it or not. But, I will have to agree with Mr. @Coxsackie though, and he is right. I believe that everybody just has their own opinions. It's just that one man's 'ugly', is another man's 'beautiful'-- and there is nothing wrong with that to be honest.