• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keep the chair.

Sure, but you get a royalty, right? :)

Clags and I split it. Forget not the Crusty Crouch.

Sure that's not copyright infringement? 

I'll give you rights, for a small fee . . .

[IMG

I picked up my new topcoat from my tailor this weekend, so I had to give it a whirl. Also, day one at the new job.

As much as I am in favor of longer overcoats, you might consider bringing the hem of your new one up a couple of inches - mid-shin would, IMHO, be a more flattering look for you, but just my $.02 . . .

Congrats on the new coat and the new job, in any case.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, first post. Apologies for the lack of natural light. Woke up late this morning and dashed out of the house, and of course it's dark when I leave the office.

Some notes: jacket actually fits perfectly, it's probably me just making a weird, subconscious posture. Tie I forgot to tighten up, but had made tail a tad longer because there's a cool sparrow printed at the very end. Left cuff caught on my watch, else it sits around 0.5" lower than jacket sleeve.

X-Post from NMWA thread:

MTM Formosa Jacket in marled navy cashmere-wool by H&S
Eidos light grey herringbone tweed trousers
Individualized shirt
Ted Baker olive paisley tie and brown belt
TYT pocket square in a rusty, gauzy wool
G&G Thorpe in kudu

Last edited:

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As much as I am in favor of longer overcoats, you might consider bringing the hem of your new one up a couple of inches - mid-shin would, IMHO, be a more flattering look for you, but just my $.02 . . .

Congrats on the new coat and the new job, in any case.

Thank you. I've considered it, definitely. It's a vintage piece of Polo Ralph Lauren, and I'm not super keen on changing the original aesthetic (I know, weird). With that being said, my other four topcoats are mid-shin and I do prefer that. I still feel it's quite wearable as-is, but I realize my opinion is a minority today.

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
Thank you. I've considered it, definitely. It's a vintage piece of Polo Ralph Lauren, and I'm not super keen on changing the original aesthetic (I know, weird). With that being said, my other four topcoats are mid-shin and I do prefer that. I still feel it's quite wearable as-is, but I realize my opinion is a minority today.

I personally would want to see it in a proportionally correct (i.e., non-close-up-iphone) photo before giving you any advice on where to hem it. Since you weren't asking for any: nice coat! Maybe it's too long for you, maybe not.

It's getting there, but I reserve judgment.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, the length of the coat works for me because it demonstrates Sir Mannix's individuality. Clearly he knows impeccable tailoring based on the fit of his jackets and slacks.

Remember my tie you guys hated? Sometimes a man just has to put a little funk into his style to show he's not a clone, but understands the rules of cloning.

Last edited:

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pictures taken in Stockholm a while back. Taken in front of a church, the sign says that God loves Stockholm. Not sure how they know that but I'll take their word for it. The SC is actually pretty generous around the waist, but looks tighter when I hold my arms like in the first pic.

SC: RRL (corduroy)
Shirt: Zegna
Tie: Borelli (7-fold)
PS: Finamore
Pants: Boss
Boots: Red Wings
Cap: Jonathan Richard
Plastic Watch: Triwa

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My goodness @DonCologne that is ridiculously awesome. Well done.

colco

Reaction score
You know, the length of the coat works for me because it demonstrates Sir Mannix's individuality. Clearly he knows impeccable tailoring based on the fit of his jackets and slacks.

Remember my tie you guys hated? Sometimes a man just has to put a little funk into his style to show he's not a clone, but understands the rules of cloning.
Whether something fits well or not isn't really as subjective or tied to personal style as you seem to think of it. Yes, Mannix's jacket fits him well. His overcoat appears to be too long however.
Whether your tie or any other piece of clothing is either stylish or tasteful or not is of course somewhat more subjective. More than likely your tastes, and your eye for fit will change for the better with some time spent here.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suggest that you live with the coat in its existing condition for a while, then decide on any tailoring - time and usage will tell you the right thing to do, and no, it's not weird to want to leave a garment's proportions as they were designed, however that fits (or not) with current fashion.

It's very cold here in NYC today - have brought out all the cold-weather clothes.

Suit - BBGF
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - BB
Cufflinks - Boston Museum of Fine Arts
PS - Ashear
Boots - Paul Stuart
Overcoat - BB
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Hat - Seifter Associates

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads