• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want a fascinatingly depressing introduction to tolerant Italian culture? Go catch a Serie A game.

It always irks me a bit to hear some non-Americans speak of all of us like knuckle dragging Neanderthals when you see examples the world over of much more blatant and hateful people...

Sorry you had to experience that, amigo...I always lose a bit of faith in humanity (not that I had much to begin with lol) after hearing stories like yours.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The abuse Mario Batelli gets is outrageous. As a national team member and star, he should be adored. Instead he gets abused. Horrible.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The abuse Mario Batelli gets is outrageous. As a national team member and star, he should be adored. Instead he gets abused. Horrible.

In fairness to those who bash Balotelli, he's been known to act like a massive ****, and has been, at best, a major disappointment nearly everywhere he's been, save for that stretch of 3-4 games at Euro 2012.

Still, the manner in which some people bash him is quite abhorrent.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ever been to Frankfurt?

lol.. yes (but I speak passable German so there's that). Ever been to Hong Kong? Even my Mandarin could not save me from the uncivilized, ungodly hell of some of the locals. (Cantonese is way too ridiculous … **** that.)

Last edited:

CaptainTohm

Reaction score
In honer of yesterday's outfit by my fellow Kentuckian @Caustic Man, I broke out a turtleneck, brown jacket, and Chelsea boots.

Then it started snowing, so some layers were added.

Jacket is SuSu
Turtleneck is Uniqlo
PS is Kent Wang
Pants are Lands End
Chelseas are Jack Erwin

In the second pic, coat is SuSu
Cap is Stetson

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing only black and white is very boring and one dimensional, like the current discussion on Italy (and suddenly the rest of the world). This is a styleforum so maybe it's difficult to expect more, but come on. I don't doubt mcobinad's experience in Italy and it's also true that racism is rearing its ugly head in some parts of Europe right now (as well as in the US and other places too), but lets keep some perspective. I've been to roughly a 100 countries including many visits to Italy, and you will meet stupid and ignorant people everywhere. But you will also meet a lot of friendly and enlightened people. Even in Italy.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mcobinad. Thanks for sharing your insights. I can now take Rome and Italy off my bucket list.

I too enjoyed France and intend to return.

Btw, love your sky blue shoes you wire on the plane. Are they Gucci? The shredded detail is killer. As you may be aware, I'm a shoe fanatic and these caught my eye right away.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Diplo. I'm white (shockingly so lol), so obviously I cannot truly relate to any apprehension one may feel from the above story, but Diplo is right...there are crappy folks anywhere you go.

Don't let a singular bad secondhand experience irrevocably poison your view on an entire country...

MrTRC

Reaction score
I think that you should visit Nordic countries. My own notion is that, while mostly beautiful, Italy is in my "rather dirty country" -list. Which is OK, but I was a bit shocked in the first time.

I was surprised by that too. As someone who has lived - albeit briefly- in several parts of Italy and visited many more times, Italy is on my dirty country list too. In all my travels, i have never seen as much littering as i saw in Naples , in a first-world country at least ( i mean it rivals the slums of Lagos). Racism is endemic of course but Italy has a 'racism problem'.

OTOH, Nordic countries, nirvana they may be seem to many is not immune to these afflictions : the predjudice and i have visited all Nordic countries ( but not their autonomous regions) . Perhaps i have some bias ( i am married to an Icelander); however, i have never met as open-minded a people as the 'Nordics'. Nordics do tend to gawp though; very brazenly. Mostly with fascination than sinister intent.

@mcobinad , illegitimis non carborundum!

Jussi Hakkinen

Reaction score
OTOH, Nordic countries, nirvana they may be seem to many is not immune to these afflictions : the predjudice and i have visited all Nordic countries ( but not their autonomous regions) . Perhaps i have some bias ( i am married to an Icelander); however, i have never met as open-minded a people as the 'Nordics'. Nordics do tend to gawp though; very brazenly. Mostly with fascination than sinister intent.

I only meant re: cleanliness. Nordic countries are pretty much the only places I assume ever the cheapest, simplest motel to be clean and fresh.

We have our racism/nazism problem and even have rather openly xenophobic parties (True Finns in Finland and Sweden Democrats in Sweden) - as a matter of fact, having that one in our Finnish parliament currently *shudder*. Seems to be a trend in Europe now, and I'm very disgusted by it. I thought that those days would be long gone already and we'd be able to tackle real issues.

But luckily, I think we're still rather open minded in general, despite a couple of bad apples. I hope that the current trend of xenophobia is a passing one.

Today I was wearing pajamas (nothing photo-worthy), as I caught a flu in Milan. Luckily, my fiancée was here to take care and pamper me.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love it. It not only fits you, but it fits you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads