• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Reminds me that I need to get another one. Damn you. :)

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I don't see many bowties here... Any reason for this?

To be honest, I don’t see many in real life, though that probably depends on where you live and your profession.

Two regular posters to this thread who come to mind as wearing them from time to time are @An Acute Style and @clarinetplayer .

EDIT: Can't believe I almost forgot @upr_crust

No doubt there are others.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wednesday of a short week. I've paired one of my quietest suits with one of my blingiest pairs of cufflinks - just because . . .

Suit - BB
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - BBGF
Cufflinks - DVVS, NYC
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Septieme Largeur, Paris
Overcoat - Adolfo
Hat - Selentino
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason, London

I love the bright, sharp blue in this tie.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From Christmas morn

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys I don't see many bowties here... Any reason for this?

In my mind, they can come off very costumey, outside of black tie settings...

To be honest, I don’t see many in real life, though that probably depends on where you live and your profession.

The association in people's minds of bow ties with old-time professors in academe is probably why they are perceived as being "costumey" - they, for the most part, have fallen out of favor with the general public. Also, many (including myself, until fairly recently) have a mental block about how to properly tie a bow tie - a four-in-hand is easier to learn to tie than is a bow tie, and these days, there are great swathes of the general public who have never been taught how to tie a four-in-hand either.

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post Christmas shopping. :

Excess fabric in the back causing bunching; really bad shoulder divot; perhaps a bit too much waist suppression but hard to tell at this angle. Also not enough contrast; perhaps a lighter but strongly patterned herringbone?

EDIT: Pixelated the face. Dogs can be sensitive about their public images.

Cheers,

Ac (
biggrin.gif
)

Last edited:

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, I think there are, but one needs to be clear about the meaning of 'principle' in different contexts.  I have in mind, for example, the various optical illusions that have been the foundation of tailoring for a very long time, like the effect of buttoning point on the apparent height of the wearer, the effect of roped shoulders on perceived shoulder width, and so forth.  These are pretty objective considerations since they’re rooted in optics and psychology, which is to say they’re not mere social constructions.

Among those things which are social constructions, some I agree are wholly arbitrary (I can’t think of any good reason why black grenadine ties should look funereal, say) while some are a consequence of function (action backs evolved to allow free motion of the arms when engaged in outdoor sports like shooting, and thus would be perceived by most of us as odd in a three piece pinstripe business suit intended for office wear) and some a convention based on historical happenstance (there's nothing intrinsically horsey about Tattersal, but at this point in history the association is there because of its origin).    And there are arguably rational grounds for talking about seasonal and other sorts of consistencies too (we’d all agree that wearing a winter overcoat up top and Bermuda shorts and sandals below would look strange because of the seasonal dissonance; similarly, I think, for at least some aspects of the city/country continuum). 

Cheers,

Ac

Dont think we disagree to a large extent. And I would certainly welcome comments along those lines (rather than, say, "burn that shirt"!). But I would dispute that there are objective considerations. Certainly menswear tailoring is built around some of those, but they change with times and fashion as well. Look at the very long jackets of the 20s, the low button stance of the 70s or the exaggerated shoulders of the 80s. Those trends influenced traditional menswear tailoring as well. Everybody who has thrifted a 70s suit know that you need a trip to the tailor before you can wear it. I'm sure that the unstructured jackets with a relatively high buttoning that we have seen so much for the last 8-10 years will be a time marker in the future.

That's why it is so much more helpful, not to mention plain civilised, to see those in the forum who post comment along the lines of "I think that works/does not work on you and here are some reasons why...", rather than comments that basically says that you are wrong and should learn to do right.

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Excess fabric in the back causing bunching; really bad shoulder divot; perhaps a bit too much waist suppression but hard to tell at this angle.   Also not enough contrast; perhaps a lighter but strongly patterned herringbone?

Cheers,

Ac :)D )

Yes, it's a few sizes too big, but she's got a problematic body type (which she is very aware of thank you). She's been thinking about going bespoke, but I have urged her to get the basics right before pulling the trigger.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

it was meant to be. you have demonstrated this often

:

I agree with most of what you wrote but you also walk right into what I think is one of the main problems: there are no fixed principles of dress. Some people here write comments like they were dishing out scientific truths, where there are no such truths to be had. What we have (at best) is experience which can lead to good advice. It is also good to have someone from outside who can notice things you don't notice yourself. That kind of advice is the reason I post. But that's as far as it goes. Someone telling me that a certain look doesn't really work and who also can back that up with a few good arguments and observations, that's really valuable. Someone saying that you are plain wrong in doing a certain thing, that's neither helpful nor true. Just by reading posts in this forum for a couple of months I have already noticed that there are fundamentally different views on fit, especially between the americans and the europeans on this forum. That's a question of taste, tradition and fashion, not subject to any fixed principles.

I also think we should be careful to assume that people who are new to this forum are necessarily new to menswear. I'm not saying that is what you write, but from some of the comments in this forum I would certainly draw that conclusion.

Sacrilege. Also wrong. DT I can think of dozens of principles off the cuff, and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of 'rules' or cultural conventions. So objective judgement is possible, and necessary imo. Nothing is more pernicious than ' Well I like it, and that's just your opinion'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads