• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are some serious lapels and a fair amount of drape, Formosa?

No. Corneliani. Model is called "Leader Super Soft". Acquired at reasonable outlet price.

Would love to try Formosa, but what I've seen within reach (NMWA) never has my size (56L European) in model I like.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
AS, if you had ditched the tie and worn a light blue OCBD, the cardi would be fine. But I love orange, so perhaps I am not a disinterested observer. As it is, however, that is an OH **** trainwreck.

Suntory

Reaction score
At the moment the pictures are taken by a photographer who works full time in my company and indeed she specializes in "fashion" and marketing photography of bespoke clothing. You can see much more of her work, with and without me in the picture, here. We have been working together for a year now. I am very flattered when you say that you like the pictures because I feel that I have very limited capability to look good in pics so we work really hard to get an effect that is barely acceptable in the light of the amount of work that is put in my clothes and the incredible pictures of some bespke cats out there (also in here) at SF). Among others that is due to my sport past that gave me uncommon body proportions (but on the other hand it also pushed me towards tailoring).
But we believe that hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard :D :D :D And it works, here is a proof :D

Thanks Tom for the fun read :)! Also, you look fantastic and boss like in those photos, very inspiring too.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
I agree that this thread would benefit--as would readers and posters--from more criticism. And I hope you continue to offer it.

But accuracy of criticism doesn't in anyway speak to the manner in which it is delivered. I disagree that it is necessary to be "hard hitting" to be effective; I think these last several pages demonstrate that the opposite may be true.

Anyway, here is an outfit from some time ago. Didn't post it here as it was a random candid shot on my wife's iPhone

According to Dale Carnegie the "hard hitting" approach is almost certain to fail by causing resentment and turning others off to your way of thinking. Books on negotiation, sales, or relationship building all harp on this. The best way to win people to your way of thinking is to do it more softly. It's easier to convince a friend than an enemy.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
Clags...you are on the money.

I offer up criticism's which I think are entirely valid. Am I 100% spot on all the time?...no...but in general I think the criticism's I provide are well-intentioned, fair, justified, and backed by enough reasoning/experience to help someone improve.

However, this thread has fallen to the wayside in terms of actually helping people understand the principles of classic menswear and thus improve their wardrobe and personal style. Now... whenever anyone offers a criticism...there is this huge backlash against the person offering advice....even if the advice is extremely sound!

So...to combat this backlash...I offer a disclaimer that I don't intend to insult and that I promise my criticism is well-intentioned...and then I lay-it-on because I find that if you aren't somewhat hard hitting...then your point just gets drowned or even worse you get flak for even daring to offer a criticism.

As for you Koala-T... See...I don't think I was being a dick. I think I was right from the beginning...and then when people stepped in and tried to obfuscate my very sound advice...I needed to defend it for the sake of this new member who is trying to learn so that he understands clearly...and because the principle regarding the shirt itself deserved to be defended.

This thead would do well to offer up more criticism. Even being critical of those whose ensembles are at a very advanced level.

Just like a had something to say about the plaid shirt on the new member...I also equally criticized Murl's outfit today...because I really felt that it was incomplete without a pocket square. And while I understand his work situation...that doesn't change the fact that his outfit would have benefitted from a pocket square.

I've seen your fit posts and always find them quite nice. However, I view a lot of the comments you make towards others as unpleasant. I, however, respect your opinions because I have seen how well you dress. I do think that a kinder gentler approach would probably get through to more people.

Last edited:

Suntory

Reaction score
@sugarbutch @PCK1

Got you two lads confused time and again, I was apologetic until I saw your avatars.

Last edited:

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen your fit posts and always find them quite nice. However, I view a lot of the comments you make towards others as unpleasant. I, however, respect your opinions because I have seen how well you dress. I do think that a kinder gentler approach would probably get through to more people.

Delusions of grandeur

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's obvious that the letters PC in @PCK1 's nickname do not stand for Politically Correct...

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
Delusions of grandeur

My post was based on the assumption that he actually does want to help people. It completely ignored the distinct possibility that his critiques are 100% self righteous.

Last edited:

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know if that is allowed, but a tieless lifestyle pic from a conference in Bangalore. Too warm for the suit, really, but would be even worse with a tie. In my humble defense.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know if that is allowed, but a tieless lifestyle pic from a conference in Bangalore. Too warm for the suit, really, but would be even worse with a tie. In my humble defense.

Thumbed for wearing a suit in that heat. I feel your pain... But why wear DB in those temperatures?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads