1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

Interesting how we all have different preferences. You see perfection. I see a guy in a tight suit.

3 people like this.
  2. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

There's a unique perspective that comes from having been on the forum all of 4 days.

3 people like this.
  3. Brovsko

Brovsko Well-Known Member

@smittycl
    @pravda
    @TheBatman

Thank you for the kind feedback. @smittycl - out of curiosity, what is it about the pocket square that throws it off in your opinion?

4. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

Brov I complimented your low contrast fit the other day and you've returned with another one. My knee jerk was that the tie vanished a bit and the outfit could have benefitted from a more robust coloured tie, but on reflection that critique is mitigated by having the colour pop in the pocket square rather than the tie. It's not a look I feel like I could successfully do myself (maybe too stuck in my ways of following the tradition of the main focus of pop being the tie) but I think you've done admirably here in breaking with that tradition but still keeping the whole look congruent and not some obnoxious flaunting.

Tl:dr? A bit out of the ordinary but looks good!

1 person likes this.
  5. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Two rare things in one picture, a long horned unicorn (who has sprung a leak at the tip of its horn) and a patchwork Madras jacket.......

[​IMG]

....Brooks Brothers patchwork Madras jacket, white Irish linen pocket square (that's drooping in the humidity), blue PPBD shirt, BB#1 stripe ribbon belt, and white cotton trousers, Bass white bucks (with blue shoelaces), and a Ben Silver Churchill Dot tie (although I am more the size and shape of Malakand Pass Churchill rather than 10 Downing Street Churchill).

To avoid traumalizing those who might not be able to cope with a close-up of patchwork Madras of any kind, here's a close-up of the ribbon belt (which doesn't show in the other picture).

[​IMG]

(Yes, there is a naked dead lady on the other side of this Salvador Dali statue, which is why I took the picture from this side. If anyone wants to see this thing or any of the other Salvador Dali sculptures on display until September 23, 2016, they are in and around the Two Rodeo retail development in Beverly Hills CA and have done nothing to stimulate business in the area.)

18 people like this.
  6. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

We moved into a new build in FL and were expecting vast closets as is the tradition for new builds down here but we're disappointed to find that the closet spaces are pitifully small compared to the square footage of the rooms and house. My missus, god bless her, let me have the walk-in which came with one hanging bar and the attendant wasted space from waist level to floor,'so I kitted all the cupboards out with Elfa which not only works well and is very robust but gives you the flexibility to change things around (as I have done) as your needs change and evolve. It's not cheap but it's well worth it IMO. Those Scandinavians raped and pillaged where I'm from and I believe passed on their genes to my family tree so maybe that explains my liking for their stuff!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  7. Brovsko

Brovsko Well-Known Member

Thanks. In hindsight, I do think a grey (perhaps glenplaid) tie would have made it a bit more balanced. I chose the light blue because I felt it complemented with the other blue tones in the outfit and the material made the look more casual and appropriate for summer.

I generally don't wear suits so it gives me more room to play around with colors and materials. Glad to hear I haven't crossed the fine line into obnoxious yet [​IMG]

8. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful braces / suspenders replies.

I am slowly learning by trial and error how I like to wear mine.

9. weissmenswear

weissmenswear Member

[​IMG]

Long time styleforum lurker, first post. Picked up this corneliani sport coat on eBay for $60 a few weeks ago. Shirt - turnbull and asser, tie - vintage 50s no branding (came from my grandfather's menswear store), slacks - lands end signature khaki, watch - vintage 60s bulova acutron, shoes - (not shown) Allen Edmonds kenilworth in walnut

12 people like this.
  10. SprezzaTrash

SprezzaTrash Senior member

I saw this old post of Rich on the Armoury's tumblr and I knew I had to do another Inspiration for Less.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've gotta say, I love Suit Supply's lapels. They make the best ones for my budget.

22 people like this.
  11. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Making better life decisions through the 'Should I Wear This?' thread. (Thanks to all who participated in an interesting start to that thread).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

32 people like this.
  12. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Firenze

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

49 people like this.
  13. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

[​IMG]

39 people like this.
  14. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Yeah, I was initially put off by the expense but am completely sold now. Have also moved mine around a few times!

15. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

I think that rather than compliment the other colors it draws all the attention to itself.

16. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

Didn't see the thread until now but I think you got some solid advice. It would have worked with the brighter green knitted tie as well but this was even better. Greens and browns are generally a great combination if you get it right, like you did here. Good idea for a thread btw,

1 person likes this.
  17. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

That Draper's green is such a lovely fabric. Looks good, @sebastian mcfox .

18. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Lifestyle shot, because San Francisco.

[​IMG]

And unedited detail shot:

[​IMG]

51 people like this.
  19. TheBatman

TheBatman Well-Known Member

That is not an argument. Are you trying to be insulting? Because if so, I regret to inform you that you are simply coming off as thick. Another example of the stunning thickness I have discovered among SOME of the members here.

You are simply being reductionistic, which is terribly dull. You can take that careless and lazy attitude towards anything you don't like.

Prokofiev - You hear perfection, I just hear a bunch of notes. Monet - You see beauty, I just see a bunch of colors and squiggly lines. Luca - You see great postmodernist sculpture, I just see a bunch of marble.

You see how boring that is?

Good grief. If you are going to take the time to write, please also take the time to think.

That is all.

20. TheBatman

TheBatman Well-Known Member

And yet another ignoramus throws his dunce cap into the ring.... sigh*

How do you know what I know or don't know about fashion and menswear? Do you know anything about how long I have frequented these forums or others?

Listen friendo, Ignorance is not something you should be going around broadcasting. And you if you want to contribute something of substance, be my guest. Enlighten me. Why am I wrong to suggest that outfit was fantastic?

Awaiting your surely feeble response.