1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

American in America.

Though I lived in South Korea for several years, been back Stateside for a while. So who is the American Mark Cho or Alan See or Luca or Chad Park or Ethan or Takahiro Osaki? I don't know how well known the Shibumi guys are outside of this forum and the German forum, but I often see them on tumblrs and IG accounts from people around the world. I just can't think of an American equivalent, though I see the Beckett & Robb guys reblogged regularly

Same with bloggers. Mostly European.

The most popular American blog I can think of, PTO, has no single personality (to its credit, maybe). Certainly no iGent icon.

---

Please note, I am not suggesting Anglophone countries dress poorly, though I suppose an argument could be made for America. Don't know I'd buy that.

Just that there are relatively few American iGent icons given out wealth, population, and level of technology. None of the people I can think if with significant cross-national appeals and followings are American.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Give me a fucking break.

Too bad if you think I'm being self-righteous, I really don't care. But if you don't condemn his kind of bullshit, then you are implicitly permitting it.

9 people like this.
  3. VonDauba

VonDauba New Member

Isn't Jake Grantham english and Joe Ha australian?

1 person likes this.
  4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I get what you are saying and I agree. Maybe it's just a different world culturally and the white noise is such that it's harder for "icons" to rise to the top in the U.S. but I don't know if I see an American equivalent to the people you mentioned. Perhaps we are simply too democratic and loath to follow anyone TOO closely.

1 person likes this.
  5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Who?

6. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

Grantham is English, a Londoner in fact.

7. Claghorn

Ethan too. Though they became well known working in HK I think

Oceania is probably decently represented. England too if you include blogger personalities.

---

I like Caustic's interpretation.

It also might be that Americans value their privacy more than others. Certainly true vs Koreans.

8. DiplomaticTies

Well, I dont know about that. Scandinavians are probably more fiercely private than anyone else. But that's mostly IRL, less so online.

9. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Armoury dude. The redhead with the painfully awful (though perhaps that his sprezz lol) posture and rounded shoulders.

Note: I really dig his style, but looking at his pics hurt my spine.

1 person likes this.
  10. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Rubbish, Australia has this...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. gs77

gs77 Senior member

This forum is VERY Anglo oriented, in the sense of taste that is regarded positively.
    And, for the purposes of classic menswear style, and all other purposes IMHO, Canada is another Anglo region.

12. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

Off to worship - the God I don't know if exist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14 people like this.
  13. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Those are just your style icons, not mine. I think Liverano makes great garments, but those guys do nothing for me and many others. And the BNTailor imitation strikes me as charmless and boring even if technically serviceable. Here is what I see living in NY: there are a lot of well-dressed people out there who aren't posting on bulletin boards and aren't reading blogs. And they don't sell clothes. They aren't playing dress up and they aren't wearing what they wear to get thumbs up from their buddies on Styleforum. They do however work in jobs where appearance matters and so they dress in certain ways for certain circumstances. And they look great. They've never heard of any of the people that you mention. They just took hints from others senior to them in the same circumstance. Again - your just extrapolating from your own experience. Anyone wearing a Neapolitan suit with spalla camicia looks out of place on Wall Street or in any other business capital outside of Italy. So from my perspective of someone who dresses in a certain way because the context demands it and not just for kicks, anyone in a garment like that isn't a style icon. Those are guys on the internet trying to sell the latest fad.

2 people like this.
  14. Claghorn

Not necessarily my icons, just those who I see most often in blogs/tumblrs/grams and other online mediums run by people from all over the world.

The people who you see in real life are totally irrelevant to this discussion. From the outset, I was wondering about (and specified) iGents. People with online presences focused on tailored clothing. That's all this discussion has been about. Why there are few, if any, Anglophone (but amended to American and maybe Canadian) iGents with significant presence.

15. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

You seemed to question whether Americans were too fat and lazy to have the requisite style to be style icons. That is what I was responding to. And how does someone with as many posts as you miss the ejaculatory celebration everytime Vox says "tini time", or Mafoofan bashes someone's pocket square, or spoopoker puts on a thrifted kiton jacket? I could go on and on but if you can't see that your premise is nonsense then you're just being stubborn and I'm never going to be able to convince you.

16. mountainstyle

mountainstyle Member

The only iGents I know are the folks who post in WAYWRN.

:)

1 person likes this.
  17. Claghorn

Yeah, but none of us are iconic :)

1 person likes this.
  18. DiplomaticTies

I actually you think you are extrapolating from your own experience. In my experience a Neapolitan style suit, perhaps excluding the most fashion forward ones, would work perfectly well in almost all business capitals in the world apart from the US. And do you really see a lot of well dressed people on Wall Street? I dont live in NY but I am there on a fairly regular basis and most business people there are dressed in whatever luxury brand they can find at an airport. I have never seen so many Zegna suits in my life as I do in NY. Nothing wrong with that, but whenever I see great dressed people in NY its usually not business people.

3 people like this.
  19. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

never seen spalla camicia on a business suit in London or NY. Where else matters?

20. DiplomaticTies

Well, I have certainly seen it in London. And Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai, Singapore. You know, the business centers that already are or soon will be bigger than London or NY...

Not saying that those places are crawling with neapolitan style suits, but you can certainly find them and I don't think people will regard them as out of place.