• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well if you don't need tie feel free send my way... I do wear tie "casually (oxymoron?)" on the weekend though...

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To clarify I live in Kentucky, not exactly the fashion capital of the world. I wear a jacket to dinner or beers with friends, but I've never seen anyone in real life wear a tie if they weren't in a business situation or going to the theater (in KY at least).

Perhaps I'll be a trendsetter. I really love all my Kent Wang ties...

Just give it a go. I find that the worst case scenario of being overdressed is that random strangers compliment you.

Note: this assumes you're not considering wearing a tux to morning coffee lol...

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I wore these pants and shoes together, it was generally agreed that I needed more color up top to account for the lighter shoes.

So although the overall color balance now seems ok to me, I feel like I went astray by doing cool colors up top and warm on the bottom; plus the top is hopsack and shantung (S/S) and the bottom is flannel and suede (F/W). I offer it up here for education purposes as I think I missed the mark again, but what says the jury? Too many clashes? I'm guessing I'll need some light grey pants to go with this jacket.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd prefer a light blue shirt, but I still think it looks fine. The slub is awful, of course...but that goes without saying
smile.gif

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd prefer a light blue shirt, but I still think it looks fine.  The slub is awful, of course...but that goes without saying :)

Oh yes, quite right, Murl - without saying. But I didn't want Butch to accidentally like my post and prove to everyone that liking AAS' wasn't a fluke.

Light blue shirt would clearly work. Pink seemed like it would be worth a shot with the green tie.

I feel your hair pain. So very much. Great look though!

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Iphone 6, and yeah, normally, I wouldn't but sometimes it slips in there without me even thinking about it. Damn thing's got a mind of its own. And I don't have a good small murse that would go with this fit. All my bags are mostly very utilitarian and from my former, less formal life. Need to right that. In any case, I was away for the weekend with my wife and we were walking around this little town, shopping, and stuff, and the damn thing was just crawling all over me, getting into all sorts of pockets. Little SOB.

Quote:
Do you wear ties casually/out on the town? You look very... Appropriate in this picture, but I can't imagine wearing a tie on the weekend and feeling comfortable. I would LOVE to get more wear out of my ties, though. Especially my more casual knits.
I love wearing ties. I don't have to wear one during the week either, but I do. But sometimes I do skip them on the weekends.

Quote:
Cheers,

Ac
Actually, that jacket has plenty of room for buttoning, but I do think your point about clearly separating the top and bottom with contrast has a good deal of merit.

Last edited:

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So although the overall color balance now seems ok to me, I feel like I went astray by doing cool colors up top and warm on the bottom; plus the top is hopsack and shantung (S/S) and the bottom is flannel and suede (F/W). I offer it up here for education purposes as I think I missed the mark again, but what says the jury? Too many clashes? I'm guessing I'll need some light grey pants to go with this jacket.

Looks pretty good (trouser/jacket fit is top notch), but if you want to keep the shirt, I think cooler, mid-gray twill trousers for balance would help. Otherwise you've got two close, non-complimentary warm tones paired with that blue jacket. I think if any one of the following changes happens (shirt is blue, trousers are gray, tie is something not so summery--burgundy neat?), you'd turn a pretty good fit into an excellent one.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The strongly contrasting sweater (?) also helps, I think, by so clearly dividing the body above the problematic hips and directing the eye away from them:

Funny, as this is exactly opposite to the advice of others here who urged KT to wear suits. So much for us SF 'experts'
wink.gif

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Funny, as this is exactly opposite to the advice of others here who urged KT to wear suits. So much for us SF 'experts'
wink.gif

Not opposite. I still agree that a suit is the best option (assuming it's properly fit and proportioned). My comment was focusing on the question of why this particular outfit is an improvement over some of his others.

The psychological trick is the same in both cases: distract the eye from the hips.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another day another navy blazer. This is polo classic navy doeskin .

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't have a full shot. Maybe next time, but its a great pattern for odd jackets

FWIW, I like your new (@sugarbutch ?) style of pics: we already know from previous posts that your stuff always fits perfectly, but these in-car shots better reveal the details.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads