• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chulillo

Reaction score
Spectacular @kulata
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lifetyle, mofos.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Koala-T, I think you've solved it. Wear your jacket open, and no more robo-pose!

Dennis Walter

Reaction score

Koala-T, I think you've solved it. Wear your jacket open, and no more robo-pose!

That's certainly one aspect - but I recommend not to put your smartphone in your Trou pockets, if the pants are rather skinny...I suppose it to is a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...]

Do you wear ties casually/out on the town? You look very... Appropriate in this picture, but I can't imagine wearing a tie on the weekend and feeling comfortable. I would LOVE to get more wear out of my ties, though. Especially my more casual knits.

Really? I do lots on things on weekends where a tie is appropriate and in some cases even necessary.

Cheers,

Ac

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes (though I’m not sure the jacket really could be buttoned–in the photo it looks pretty small in the waist).

The strongly contrasting sweater (?) also helps, I think, by so clearly dividing the body above the problematic hips and directing the eye away from them:

Cheers,

Ac

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really?  I do lots on things on weekends where a tie is appropriate and in some cases even necessary.

Cheers,

Ac

I can safely say there is NOTHING, aside from black tie events or weddings, in my weekends that make ties necessary or even mandated, and black tie obviously renders a necktie useless.

That said, it's (the weekend) never stopped me from wearing ties before. I'll wear them out with friends, be it a bar, dinner, or whatever else...having over 200 ties at present, I find being slightly overdressed preferable to not being allowed to wear a tie nearly 30% of my daily life!

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Yes, clearly it’s lifestyle-dependent, which is why I was puzzled by the original poster’s question.

Off the top of my head, here’re four weekend contexts in which I routinely wear ties: symphony or chamber music concert, opera, art gallery, restaurant.

Cheers,

Ac

CaptainTohm

Reaction score

Yes, clearly it’s lifestyle-dependent, which is why I was puzzled by the original poster’s question.

Off the top of my head, here’re four weekend contexts in which I routinely wear ties:  symphony or chamber music concert, opera, art gallery, restaurant.

Cheers,

Ac

To clarify I live in Kentucky, not exactly the fashion capital of the world. I wear a jacket to dinner or beers with friends, but I've never seen anyone in real life wear a tie if they weren't in a business situation or going to the theater (in KY at least).

Perhaps I'll be a trendsetter. I really love all my Kent Wang ties...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads