1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. doomx

doomx Senior member

I my tailor charges $40-50 for sleeve shortening from the shoulder.

2. mcobinad

mcobinad Senior member

Today's outfit. I would be in Geneva, Switzerland on monday for a conference meeting. Anyone from Geneva fancy a catchup? You could inbox me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

36 people like this.
  3. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Is your avatar a GPOY?

4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I don't know what that means.

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

@mcobinad , one of your best. Exceptionally good colour coordination.

What is that suit? Looks to have some cotton in it.

Shoes are nice too.

6. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

For someone like me who comes to this thread to learn things, that wasn't constructive at all.

The jacket length seems to be alright, yes? I believe I've seen shorter here....Is it just the sleeves that are perhaps too short?

7. Caustic Man

No.

8. mcobinad

mcobinad Senior member

Sir,

Let me elaborate a little further. It doesn't matter if we have met before. I believe it is a question of approach. You don't just condemn an entire outfit simply because a gentleman is wearing a short jacket. I believe the ensemble is nice and the slight issue of short jacket is only a minute detail that in my subjective opinion can be overlooked and as a result less emphasis should be attributed to it. The overall coordination is good and the ancillary issue in relation to the short jacket could be pinpointed mildly albeit without resorting to a derogatory comment. An honourable member under the name of Coxsackie, addressed an issue in relation to this gentleman's outfit about three days ago and objectively addressed a slight issue to an otherwise good outfit without condemning the overall presentation. I hope you understand from what perspective I'm coming from. If you don't, then sorry, we could forget about it and move on.

16 people like this.
  9. TheoProf

TheoProf Senior member

[​IMG]

14 people like this.
  10. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Funny! That was a bit...caustic, though. The jacket is short but not criminally so.

1 person likes this.
  11. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

This thread is getting weird again.

1 person likes this.
  12. Caustic Man

@mcobinad , I knew what you were getting at. My point is that this is what you get with me. I feel no compelling desire to change and indeed I feel quite at home being the way I am. You are fully free to critique my approach however I have been this way for a long time and I will continue to be this way despite anything you say. You might as well try and convince @Andy57 to wear shorter jackets or @Tibor not to wear hats.

That's all.

That's it.

That's the end.

4 people like this.
  13. metranger8694

In the same light, if I may ask you a question.

I bought this 100% linen Eleventy blazer from Khaki's of Carmel. I asked the president of K.o.C. about the length and fit and he said he thought it was spot on and that is the style.

I went with the same size(40) as all my other blazers.

As far as the bump on my right shoulder, I neglected to smooth out the shoulder liner.

Thanks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. Caustic Man

15. metranger8694

Then I'm stuck as a 42 would probably be too wide in the shoulders. Maybe too big in the chest too.

The sleeve buttons aren't functional as I'd have to shorten the sleeves.

1 person likes this.
  16. Caustic Man

It's partly about finding the right brand for you. Maybe this simply isn't your best choice. On the other hand these are things that may be able to be reasonably altered. You never know until you try it on.

17. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

He's right in the sense that it is, for better or worse, the current style. Personally I think the overall length is not a problem. The sleeves, on the other hand...

18. metranger8694

It was an online purchase. I asked the prez. and staff if I should go up to a 42 and I was told no. That was the intended style.

It is such a nice fit otherwise I'm wondering if anyone down here would even notice.

If others agree with you, maybe I could revisit things with K.o.C.

Thanks for your thoughts.

19. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

My advice is go to a store with a wide range of size choices and find the right length and cut. Brooks Brothers is a great place to start. Their larger stores will have multiple fits (Madison, Fitzgerald, Regent, Milano) in regular and long sizes. Experiment a little and see what works. Then apply what you learn to other vendors.

Also, why buy something that requires alterations from the shoulder? That strikes me as a fairly major tailoring task that not many can do correctly. The shoulder is usually the most intricate and complicated part of a suit.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. Caustic Man

Yes, the intended style with many places that pander to such things is to be shorter. There is, I think, an understanding about such things within the context of this forum and this thread in particular. This understanding is that with fashion there is a built in obsolescence. Taking a balanced approach to fit and proportion simply attempts to transcend that and to facilitate garments that will not look dated 10 years from now. There is nothing inherently wrong with following the trends, it's just that if you allow yourself to indulge in that you must accept that if you plan to keep your clothing for a while by 2025 you will look like the guy who dresses like he's stuck in the 2010s. This isn't to say that there aren't trends that happen here because there are. Dub monks may be an example. Even with the tendency toward wide lapels in this thread, I have attempted to maintain a more balanced approach, neither skinny nor too wide. I believe this is good advice because, as has been mentioned before, skinny lapels and short jackets are already beginning to look dated.

5 people like this.