1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sander

Sander Senior member

Hell yes, same here. It hailed on me TWICE yesterday.

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

3. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

"I love yeller trousers. Seriously. I think it was @SpooPoker who posted a fit with a navy blazer and yellow trousers a while back that I have been trying (and failing) to emulate ever since."

Yeah, that was c. 2010, with the old Spoo pose where he was sitting down. Inspired by that pic, I in fact purchased a pair of yellow Borrelli cotton trou fom Spoo himself. Haven't really worn them, though, as the navy jacket / colorful pents has become so common here.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  4. AlexRamius

AlexRamius Senior member

5. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Great look. Love the fit of the jacket. What color are the socks? Look kind of out of place with all the neutrals.

6. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

You gotta be different, huh? [​IMG]

7. Luger

Luger Senior member

[​IMG]
    :)

6 people like this.
  8. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I'm commissioning a pair of 'mustard' cords for winter. I'd like to get a mustard linen too.

1 person likes this.
  9. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

From a design standpoint this is a superior deployment of complementary colours, in this case orange and its opposite across the colour wheel blue. Here's why:
    • Colours used sparingly, combined with neutrals.
    • Warm colour against cool.
    • The colours with the most visual weight due to luminosity and saturation -- here the burnt orange and the medium blue -- are used in the smallest elements (necktie and socks).
    • Strong element (tie) juxtaposed with pale, desaturated complement (shirt).
    • Jacket incorporates hints of warm colour from tie; necktie incorporates neutrals from jacket.
    • Neutrals that are similar in hue made visually distinct by pairing a texture/pattern against a solid (jacket / pants).
    At this point it might sound like I have a man-crush on this guy, but I actually kind of resent him and his perfect goddamn hair.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

"You gotta be different, huh? :D"

Different from the great unwashed, DTOing my StyFo bros :embar:

11. Anden

Anden Senior member

I must say that it's by far the best review I have ever got for an outfit. Some outfits has resulted in 50 or so thumbs but this is a great compliment with a lot of thought behind it. Thank you!

3 people like this.
  12. Anden

Anden Senior member

Thank you. The jacket is a favourite of mine.

The socks are royalblue/lightblue herringbone which probably looks fairly solid from a few meters away. I wanted to have a darker shoe and thus went for slighty dark socks. The light blue part of the socks are similar to the shirt. A lighter shoe/soc combo might have looked better but I wanted to ground the outfit with a dark shoe.

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Burn the tie and just swap in a light grey grenadine tie.

1 person likes this.
  14. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

@blekit this is harsh but, I think, good advice. The suit looks like it fits you well, and the shirt and the wholecuts are nice in combination with it. A bold windowpane suit like that almost always needs to be the loudest element in an ensemble, and a solid grenadine or subdued neat tie would complement the rest of your items perfectly.

2 people like this.
  15. Sander

Sander Senior member

Agree on the burning (sorry, Blekit); light grey grenadine certainly would work, but would also result in a decidedly festive look. I don't know if that's what he is going for here.

In fact you could swap the tie for almost any not-too-informal tie. Stripes in general might be too informal, but almost any neat print would work wonderfully, navy suit and white shirt is quite the blank canvas.

1 person likes this.
  16. TheoProf

TheoProf Senior member

The suit is navy and tie is brown ancient madder. Dealing with lighting problems today as I work to upgrade the quality of my pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15 people like this.
  17. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I wasn't trying to be mean at all. Let the suit shine and keep the shirt and the tie conservative. I like the suit and the fit.
    I wanted to suggest something like this...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    6 people like this.
  18. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Yes, that's a good idea. There were lots of cookies left after I got mine although one might hope that there wouldn't be any bizarre comments about how the color of one's cookie clashes with the color of one's pocket square, particularly since colors don't always look the same in pictures posted online as they do in person.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. blekit

blekit Senior member

Quote:
    I hear you guys and I must agree that this combination didn't work out well. I originally had two different choices in mind (light grey shantung in small white polka dot pattern and chocolate grenadine) but I have worn both of them recently and decided to go with this one, which hasn't been in use for quite some time. Well, I guess it was for a reason and I obviously made a wrong decision. Live and learn :)
    Nice one @The Noodles , I'm not fan of light grey ties but in this outfit it works really well.

1 person likes this.
  20. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

@Cleav Awesome city fit!

3 people like this.