1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

Definitely not on board here. I don't think they're my go to shoe by any means, but I don't think they're "out," though, if they are or are on the way, I don't think I'll follow suit.

I'm also not too big on split-toes, though there are classic models I do like.

1 person likes this.
  2. smittycl

smittycl Well-Known Member

Double Monks have a 70's vibe to me. Bold, slightly gaudy and not really appropriate for a business wardrobe. Not to be too hard on them but if they look appropriate in a 1970's magazine ad then they're best avoided now. [​IMG]

3. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

From what I've been able to discern from photos of the Noodle and AAS, I believe our little Noodle is not only broader but also a bit taller than AAS, making a potential wardrobe raid rather a sorry affair. Best to not add breaking and entering to your resume, Noodle - as much as I am sure you'd be expert on giving a webinar in such techniques . . .:devil:

3 people like this.
  4. SYCSYC

SYCSYC Well-Known Member

Not so sure with today's blue brown grey combination

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suit & shirt: Charles Tyrwhitt
    Tie: Zegna
    Shoes: Meermin

26 people like this.
  5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

I agree that they are not business appropriate (not all of us exist in the business world though) however I don't take them as particularly 70s. Even if they were, a lot of good came out of the 70s (even if the disasters stick out in our minds more than anything else from the decade).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. gs77

gs77 Well-Known Member

...a lot of good...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. Roy Al

Roy Al Well-Known Member

@SYCSYC
    To me this is all fine, but maybe it had been better with a lighter blue shirt; not so much to compliment the tie, but for that suit. (And I know you can do better PS than this.)

1 person likes this.
  8. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

This is probably a bit TOO overarching for me, unless we're talking about the CBD business world. My company's policy skews on the casual side of business attire, so I may not have the best perspective, but I couldn't imagine ever feeling inappropriate (even meeting with clients) in a pair of double monks. That said, anything explicitly formal, like an interview of some sort, I would feel a bit "off" wearing them.

Note: I'm honored and humbled I made your quotes/comment section [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Actually I think the shirt is fine here. Your problem lies in the PS, which appears too similar to the shirt. Either a plain white linen TV fold, or even better, a square which references the brown of the tie, would have anchored the fit beautifully.

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I liked the whole thing, Cox. (EDIT: I'm talking about your deep pink shirt)

1 person likes this.
  11. pravda

pravda Well-Known Member

@sycsyc I know you responded to feedback regarding polishing your shoes. But now I think they are too shiny and make your great fits look too
    planned. I suggest a matte finish. Your fits are awesome btw

12. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

If you are going to shine the toe it should be shiny. Mirror shine. Perhaps another of the recently mentioned military affectations.

1 person likes this.
  13. Epicure

Epicure Well-Known Member

Just my two cents:

I thought I liked double monks until I bought a pair. Whether dressing for business or pleasure, they're the pair of shoes that continually get passed by in my shoe rotation. It just seems there is almost always a better choice.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

15. Epicure

This has me lusting to add some DB goodness to my wardrobe. :nodding:

3 people like this.
  16. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

Is that coral in your pocket @sugarbutch?

17. Epicure

What a find. :)

4 people like this.
  18. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

Interesting to hear a lot of feedback to this extent. I have found the exact opposite to be the case. I have to stop myself from overwearing them and make sure I use my other shoes.

I think a lot of this has to do with levels of formality expected in the social situations we each find ourselves in. For myself, I dress well because I want to and I am overdressed fairly frequently. If I wanted to I could get by wearing no ties all year and not have any problems. I find monks to be a happy medium between loafers and lace-ups and really enjoy wearing them.

19. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Love your style Gerry. Your clothes look 'lived in'

Classic Crusty. [​IMG]

I prefer the cuff-less (and pleat-less) look. It's cleaner, less fussy & more contemporary imo, but in practice I generally go for cuffs because the extra weight helps drape. In heavier cloths I go without, but for some cuffed odd trews I reserve for balancing gunboats.

The DM and the Norweger are two of the half-dozen or so classic men's shoe styles, so so I don't think either's going to disappear. There's a pic of Lawrence (of Arabia) at leisure in an English drawing room wearing a pair of DMs back in about 1910 and the William (DM) is Lobb's signature shoe, just like the Dover (Norweger) is EG's and the Demi-Chasse (Norweger) is JM Weston's.

4 people like this.
  20. Epicure

I think there is a good deal of merit in the points you make. Maybe this is what is happening on a subconscious level for me.

Like you, I tend to be overdressed, and always feel comfortable with this. But then, I can achieve this in a well fitting jacket with or without PS (with is my default), a pair of English loafers, and no tie. Far from a formal fit, but considered "dressy" in my non-sartorially inclined locale.

I specify loafers, because I'm far fonder of these most casual of dress shoes than my lone pair of double monks. I concede double monks could receive more love from me if I'd purchased suede rather than calf, and as such I may trial a suede pair in future to see if that does change my mind.

If I'm not in loafers, I most often reach for wing tips in calf (oxford or derby), suede semi-brogue oxfords, or suede chukkas, unless a calf oxford cap seems or actually is required.

1 person likes this.