1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mc2k

mc2k Well-Known Member

@Murlsquirl
    I have that same tie, except mine has 'Barrister' as the maker. I wore it for the first time a few weeks back with linen-silk-wool blend light red jacket + tan pants. I'm afraid I may have utilized mine more horribly [​IMG] I'll see if I can find that photo. Cheers[​IMG]

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Six has a jacket in an almost identical cloth and last time I saw him in SF he was wearing it with a rust patterned (large scale neat or madder?) and it looked great. He can confirm the tie.

Moss has also worn it with a large medallion madder that I thought looked really good.

Thanks, man. Tie is much more of a wine/burgundy IRL.

3. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

... which illustrates a flaw in trying to intellectualize aesthetics. It can never be 100% objective.

To my eye, the tie and jacket patterns here are based on the same grid, which is easily confirmed if you superimpose the tie over the lapel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Sounds llke a good topic to bring up on the new "Menswear advice" forum! (unless i'm totally wrong and its not new at all)

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Thanks :) This is a very light Donegal fabric by Ariston so I'm comfortable wearing it on cooler days. I'm really glad I got it.

6. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

There's a lot of dead space in Murl's tie. There is practically none in his jacket. A solid tie might be better depending on one's taste, but the current one certainly isn't worse.

5 people like this.
  7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Yes, I well remember that now that you mention it. :)

Peoples eyes view patterns different especially so in these cases where the pattern is not actually drawn, our eyes are drawing it, in this by connecting the dots (medallions) on Murls tie.

That said, although one could connect the medallions in such a fashion that it would make squares similar in scale to the blue overcheck, think the combo looks good, and had no one said anything I never would have given it a second thought. My minds eye saw it the way UC did, above. I made no scale connection as the jacket is busy and the tie is not. A+, Murl.

2 people like this.
  8. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I wore my similar jacket with the burgundy Cappelli madder in the spoilered photo below. I included the jacket and a striped tie in spoilers. I think a wide block stripe tie also works; I included an example of a different but similar jacket in spoilers. Neats are tricky, though, and I'm keeping my eye out for something else that would work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Just FYI, AAS didn't mention anything about the scales being too similar, nor was that the problem IMO. He said it was "too busy" for the jacket, which I agree with. Jackets with patterns that dense require extra contrast in pattern as far as I'm concerned. Interesting conversation in any case. Also, @in stitches , where you been, bro!?!?

1 person likes this.
  10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

In the shadows. Or working. Whatever sounds cooler.

1 person likes this.
  11. Caustic Man

No time for StyFo? Obviously this job isn't worth it. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fallan & Harvey (respoke)
    Bespoke
    Calabrese
    Vanda
    Allen Edmonds

33 people like this.
  13. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

SF word of 2016 - 'respoke' ?

4 people like this.
  14. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

Great fit, among your very best. But as a fellow Swede I am surprised by your unfounded optimism. You know very well that there will be a week of snow and cold weather in April!

3 people like this.
  15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

AAS did not, but mcfox did.

16. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Scale definitely plays into perceived "busy-ness," though. So whether or not it's stated, it's a factor.

If I wanted to play the role of art professor, I wouldn't let a student call something "busy" without explaining what makes it busy. It's a nebulous word.

17. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Unexpected rain shall not deter me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suit: Bespoke Hemrajani
    Shirt: Proper Cloth
    Tie: Sam Hober
    Square: Rubinacci
    Shoes; Edward Green

29 people like this.
  18. Caustic Man

That's true but the implication in my mind wasn't that scale (or density as well) wasn't a factor, but rather that they could still be different between the jacket and the tie and not mesh quite right. There would need to be still more difference for it took look right to me. Completely agreed that "busy" is a nebulous word and I'm not even sure that I am capturing AAS's meaning, but it is certainly how I took it.

@Andy57 that jacket looks weirdly long. Love your stylistic choices, though.

1 person likes this.
  19. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Agreed with Caustic, though everything else is exceptional, and I generally dislike repp striped grenadines.

20. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, dropped in and saw a nice productive discussion going on. Very nice!

Thought I would post some data, since it's good to have a set of fits to take apart. So by all means carry on on Mursquirl's fit here (don't want to co-opt that discussion) , but see this

http://www.styleforum.net/t/428478/classic-menswear-lounge/3000#post_8373911

For data points to consider/discuss on the issue of business, density, repetition and so forth.