• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First attempt in this thread. Advice on fit and coordination is encouraged.

The tie looks too bold for my liking, a real grenadine would have been better and dissolved some of the sheen.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok guys-- I'll try that starting...tomorrow. But in the meantime, wearing as Ralph Lauren prob wants it, out dere for the world

Move it a bit lower, so you can hardly see it. Slightly above the buttoning point should do the trick.

A few drinks, listening to dean and frank; decided to pinstripe up for tonite. Signore Bontoni, Isaia, and Sartorio present for duty.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The wider lapels are wayyyyy better. Still think you'd benefit from a wider tie for the same reason I do. Big heads.
cheers.gif

Also, are the shoulders a bit wider than the last time I made a similar comment? Regardless, seems like its much better proportioned.

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather than cross posting from the FRIDAY CHALLENGE: ART INSPIRED thread, now, for something completely different, I am posting the Art Inspired pictures that I didn't post.

Anyone who wants to see what I did post can pop over to the FRIDAY CHALLENGE:ART INSPIRED thread and see it........

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prom - Suitsupply and TM Lewin. Criticisms welcome (don't be too savage this time Claghorn ;) ).
Where's the "Handsome Devil" button, or was that exclusive to bday gala? I found it amusing, if slightly immodest. That said, not a bad fit at all. I have a hard time getting over how young you are for the way you are dressing, though I suppose that's ageist of me (slightly envious old guy that I am).

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At times, baggy trousers, such as "Oxford Bags" have been more popular than at other times.......

This style looks like a cross-decade collaboration between Thom Browne and Giorgio Armani.

Fail.

SpitShine

Reaction score
Where's the "Handsome Devil" button, or was that exclusive to bday gala? I found it amusing, if slightly immodest.

That said, not a bad fit at all. I have a hard time getting over how young you are for the way you are dressing, though I suppose that's ageist of me (slightly envious old guy that I am).

The button came attatched to a birthday card, it's not the kind of thing I wear regularly. This is what a childhood of James Bond films will do to a man, my parents have to tell me to dress down occasionally.

Claghorn, I've definitely come round to wider ties and lapels recently, but my surroundings are usually too casual to leave fashionable concessions entirely behind. I normally hover around a three-inch tie these days.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nitpicking about tie widths and proportions aside, I think you look absolutely spiffing, @SpitShine ! When I was your age I was wearing double pleated jeans with New Balance tennis shoes. (I leave you to infer how old I am...
wink.gif
)

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spit-Shine: I know what they say about guys with big feet, but I think trousers that skinny push the issue a bit.
rimshot.gif

I have a few pairs of trousers that need to be slimmed down, and I'm leaning towards having them hit at about the second-to-last set of shoe laces, rather than quite that close to the ankle. I mean, we're young, we can do that, but it doesn't appeal to my sense of proportion (and really limits you to only the slimmest jackets, if you want things to remain in proportion).

SchmidtD, welcome. It's not a bad effort: You have a handle on how to wear shoes of that color with a suit. I love the PS, like the watch and the pattern of the suit. The suit's fit is not perfect, but I don't think it's glaringly bad.

That said, the tie is simply too bright. Green is not a bad idea, with the purple in the square, but anything this bright is gonna be tough. The shirt collar is unexceptional. The points are a bit short, and there's not enough spread/length period, especially for a windsor knot.

It also needs stays or something to cure the curl.

I'm not sure about doing a white shirt with tan shoes and a light suit like that -- sure, a light blue shirt would sacrifice some contrast, but it would be more at home with the formality of the whole thing, and it could pick up on the blue in the suit (which you're already matching to the blue in the square, you sly doge you).

If you were to swap in a good light blue shirt with a spread collar, and wear a forest green tie, you could deliver on the promise of what you have going on here. I would also seriously think about wearing darker brown shoes -- again, the tan isn't bad, but I like dark brown calf quite a bit, and tend to wear it whenever possible.

Foxx, Dino and Frank probably would have been rude to you about the tie bar -- though that's assuming they'd have spoken to you at all, wearing brown shoes in the evening.
nest.gif

That said, I think the aggressiveness of the pinstripes works for the way you dress.

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SchmidtD, welcome. It's not a bad effort: You have a handle on how to wear shoes of that color with a suit. I love the PS, like the watch and the pattern of the suit. The suit's fit is not perfect, but I don't think it's glaringly bad.

That said, the tie is simply too bright. Green is not a bad idea, with the purple in the square, but anything this bright is gonna be tough. The shirt collar is unexceptional. The points are a bit short, and there's not enough spread/length period, especially for a windsor knot.

It also needs stays or something to cure the curl.

I'm not sure about doing a white shirt with tan shoes and a light suit like that -- sure, a light blue shirt would sacrifice some contrast, but it would be more at home with the formality of the whole thing, and it could pick up on the blue in the suit (which you're already matching to the blue in the square, you sly doge you).

If you were to swap in a good light blue shirt with a spread collar, and wear a forest green tie, you could deliver on the promise of what you have going on here. I would also seriously think about wearing darker brown shoes -- again, the tan isn't bad, but I like dark brown calf quite a bit, and tend to wear it whenever possible.

Thank you for your detailed reply. You made great points. And FWIW, I regretted the tie as soon as I saw how it had shown up in pictures (looks much darker in person), but still wanted to post something. Not making excuses, just trying to shed light on my thought process.

I'll be back soon enough with another attempt.

Edit: also, lol at your doge reference

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spit-Shine: I know what they say about guys with big feet, but I think trousers that skinny push the issue a bit.

Agreed - looks like a golf putter. But I also really dislike SS and their too short pants as is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads