• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really nice stuff, Cox. I like every element and the formality balance across them all.

To my eye, one less pattern up top might have served you better; the square or shirt being easiest to pull back on. And something about the tie/jacket combo isn't resolving quite right to me - potentially the tie stripes are too close in scale to the jacket pattern? I dunno, can't put my finger on it.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Incorrect. The "style" in the blazer pic is undoubtedly ill fitting.

Interesting point this, as there's probably a continuum: where does deviation from the current 'norm' end being a stylistic choice and starts to be ill fitting?
For me SVB's blazer fit is right at the edge. Not really ill fitting perhaps, but it looks dated to me.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

What a well dressed pirate.

Arrggggggh matey!!!!!!!! Shiver me timbers, avast ye scurvy dogs, etc.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting point this, as there's probably a continuum: where does deviation from the current 'norm' end being a stylistic choice and starts to be ill fitting?
For me SVB's blazer fit is right at the edge. Not really ill fitting perhaps, but it looks dated to me.

Observe how the blazer's shoulders sit v. the suit. The vertical line created by the blazer's shoulder along with the fact that it extends far beyond the natural shoulder gives his neck an elongated appearance. For someone of SVB's body type this elongation makes his proportions look very peculiar. It definitely looks dated, but it would be ill fitting in any era.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Real talk, @StanleyVanBuren , I think that navy jacket is like a half-size big – there's not a crazy amount of drape/shoulder extension, but there's more than I think works for that cut. If you look at how the YSL wore suits in the '70s, they were extremely clean in the chest, and had narrow-but-strong/square shoulders.

I think that creates a different silhouette than most on here are used to seeing, with the flares. It's almost anti-Neapolitan: while that cut is skinny trousers that narrow you from the waist but a broadening jacket, doing a close-cut jacket with flared pants makes you narrower up top and wider down below. But since this has a touch too much drape, it makes you look a little wide in combination with the flares. So you're getting a signal-to-noise ratio here: you're doing a look that isn't really ascendant on this board, and getting "but it's not Neapolitan though," but I also think there's a useful note in some of what folks are saying.

Also, I'm not sure about the spread collar with the disco cues – I think a narrower spread with longer points would be more coherent, yeah? That, or the gorge height is a touch low on you.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did he say that, or are you referring to this?

It's a reference to many conversations in the past. If he is interested in advice now, and I don't know it, then great. However in the past he has said that CM people "don't know what they are talking about". This was in reference to more than just me.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, and without wishing to cast any aspersions or engender any ill feeling, I really do prefer the first fit of SVB's. Everything about it is "on the money".

I don't like the elongated blazer and flared pants of the second fit. It's not egregiously bad, but it just doesn't work anywhere near as well as the suit.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a reference to many conversations in the past. If he is interested in advice now, and I don't know it, then great. However in the past he has said that CM people "don't know what they are talking about". This was in reference to more than just me.
Let's say this was a sauce forum, with two boards on it: one where people make all kinds of sauces, and one where people only make tomato-based sauces – and the tomato sauce forum was really on a Bolognese kick. So if you came into "What Sauce Are You Cooking Today" talking about a Marinara sauce, you might get lots of advice on how best to add meat to it – but then it wouldn't be a Marinara anymore, it would be more like a Bolognese. And, yes, if somebody doesn't like anything but Bolognese, that's fine. But if their advice to the guy trying to do something different is "make a nice Bolognese instead," well, how helpful is that, really?

What doesn't help, of course, is that most of the people not making Bolognese sauces are either members who are acknowledged to be old masters, or know-nothing rubes who are microwaving ketchup, and who really are better off being told "make a nice Bolognese instead."

I've been drinking and don't know much about cooking.

Last edited:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
It is refreshing both that there are those that understand and to hear it put in such eloquent terms. I take back anything pejorative that I've said about this side of the forum as a whole.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I agree with that, but the easier parable would be just to say that SWD and MC view suits differently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads