• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is objectively too large. I do know about proportion and balance (rule of thirds/golden ratio/etc.). That hat is too big for your head. If you just like that aesthetic, fair enough, but it makes you look much shorter than you are, because it swamps your body, and it takes far too much attention away from you overall.

'Both of the gentleman could wear a fedora much taller and straighter giving a more formal appearance, or [you] could go smaller giving a more casual look. It is, usually, simply a case of the aesthetic style each gentleman wants to express.'

Yes and no.

Last edited:

FelixTheFinn

Reaction score
fight[1].gif
lurker[1].gif
lurker[1].gif

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer to no longer have this conversation, as I find it tiresome, and a waste of our time. I have been told countless times to ignore comments relating to this particular subject, although many times the urge to share my knowledge takes over.

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@EFV DTO's @Braddock

@Tibor I appreciate your explanation, though I'm afraid you lost me with all those block numbers.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice Tibor.. I will follow up with this..Seen this before.. I know.. but I am in love with this suit.. what can I say.. What I wore today...
Very cool, as always. Have you ever talked about what you do for a living? I'm wondering because my impression was that this is pretty formal for the US. But I like to think that your job involves a lot of ass-kicking, like police commissioner or so. :lol:

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@EFV DTO's @Braddock

@Tibor I appreciate your explanation, though I'm afraid you lost me with all those block numbers.

Just wait until I get into the flange numbers. ;)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is objectively too large. I do know about proportion and balance (rule of thirds/golden ratio/etc.). That hat is too big for your head. If you just like that aesthetic, fair enough, but it makes you look much shorter than you are, because it swamps your body, and it takes far too much attention away from you overall.

I suspect that it is subjective, in that it's a matter of fashion.

Decades ago, men used to wear larger hats and they were simply accepted as the fashion of the times. Nowadays, hats tend to be smaller and thus a hat with a taller crown, as worn in the 1930s (perhaps - if I'm wrong, I'm sure Tibor can correct me) looks out of place.

Look at top hats - they were considerably larger than Tibor's fedora and yet they were relatively common at one time.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a
Very cool, as always. Have you ever talked about what you do for a living? I'm wondering because my impression was that this is pretty formal for the US. But I like to think that your job involves a lot of ass-kicking, like police commissioner or so. :lol:

I would love to kiss some ass, but with all the youtube videos Internal affairs is all tied up. I was a police cadet which is very similar to a police explorer, and worked as a Calfornia Public State Officer, and of course your run of a mill average private security guard. Upon completing police cadets I was recruited by a few local police departments to join the academy which is a regional police academy in San Diego County. I decided to enter into the world of hattery first, and recently started my own hat company. I keep close contacts in local & federal law enforcment as I hope to enter the Academy before my mid 30's. Until then I will pursue my passion in hattery.

Last edited:

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not a
I would love to kiss some ass, but with all the youtube videos Internal affairs is all tied up. I was a police cadet which is very similar to a police explorer, and worked as a Calfornia Public State Officer, and of course your run of a mill average private security guard. Upon completing police cadets I was recruited by a few local police departments to join the academy which is a regional police academy in San Diego County. I decided to enter into the world of hattery first, and recently started my own hat company. I keep close contacts in local & federal law enforcment as I hope to enter the Academy before my mid 30's. Until then I will pursue my passion in hattery.

I always knew you were secretly a part of The Untouchables. :lol:

But I meant to ask chocsosa, and you're right, that wasn't clear.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suspect that it is subjective, in that it's a matter of fashion. 

Decades ago, men used to wear larger hats and they were simply accepted as the fashion of the times. Nowadays, hats tend to be smaller and thus a hat with a taller crown, as worn in the 1930s (perhaps - if I'm wrong, I'm sure Tibor can correct me) looks out of place. 

Look at top hats - they were considerably larger than Tibor's fedora and yet they were relatively common at one time. 

Exactly. Well said & thank you. There were countless styles huge, small, and everything in between, very fashionable in the early part of the war, and especially so before. Although it existed well before the the mid 30's the fedora style I wear hit the mainstream fashion world in 1934. Later in the in late 1940's, but really starting in mass in the mid 1950's the more generic factory styles of fedoras became mainstream. We have been plagued by cookie cutter versions of fedoras ever since.

Last edited:

FelixTheFinn

Reaction score
I think Sander was asking @chocsosa but it's always interesting to find out what everyone on SF does from 9-5. Thanks for your input @Tibor and it sounds like you know what you're doing with regards to hats.
worship.gif

Felix

Last edited:

bienluienapris

Reaction score
I am not a
That's should be your job : http://croquissartoriaux.tumblr.com/search/police

I have heard there is a Hat squad in San Antonio (SAPD), when a detectives investigate on a difficult murder and capture the kille, he receives a Fedora and become a member of the Hat Squad.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.2%

Forum statistics

Threads