• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They do match (sort of) on the right arm. That said, on the gorge it's the opposite: left side matches, right side doesn't... I'm not a tailor, but can it be that these broader stripes are more difficult to line up?

Maybe they are playing. One gorge sorta lined up and the opposite sleeve the same. You could say, an odd balance.

Is it higher quality if the sleeves match? Do the stripes of center back match in back? Then the collar stripes should match that. From point 1 (center of back) to point A and B (each side of the collar) is harder to match. Changing the slope of the gorge could help. If the person is not symmetrical, left and right, then it maybe harder to match? If uneven shoulder slopes then the foundation (undercollar), left and right, each side needs to be shaped differently with iron. Now you got to deal with the top collar. People think making clothing is easy. And, indeed it is. Now if you start adding details of qualities... $$$$.

doodledoc

Reaction score
NEW SUIT! purchased this with the pinstripe one a couple months ago and just got it back.. the remarkable thing is that this suit was just the wrong size. Atleast two sizes to big..the tailor had to completely re-cut the suit... the took in the sides considerably being that it ballooned out so much...they had to take out the pockets on the jacket to recut it and then re-attach it..they also had to re-cut the sleeves and rotate them. The pants were also so big on me.. makes sense because I am a drop nine. Being that my tailors had to take in the pants by 4 inches they had to take out all four pockets and re-cut the pants as well... I should have taken a before picture.. its amazing what they have done.. simply put these guys are amazing..all this was done for a little over $300..crazy right..sad news is the husband of the husband/wife team/tandem retires next fall... the wife is just as good but he handles my stuff.. just trying to get it in before he does retire..also do not have a true hard button suit so getting used to it..This was worn yesterday for church..

This was worn a couple of weekends ago..date night with my wife..

Excellent as always. Who makes the suit?

SYCSYC

Reaction score
What I wore today, and some shocking photos in spoiler

Suit: SuitSupply
Shirt: TM Lewin
Tie: "greenwoods" from a vintage pack from Ebay
PS: Marks & Spencer
Shoes: Bexley

Last edited:

gavspen

Reaction score

NEW SUIT! purchased this with the pinstripe one a couple months ago and just got it back.. the remarkable thing is that this suit was just the wrong size. Atleast two sizes to big..the tailor had to completely re-cut the suit...

I dont quite understand. Why did you buy a suit two sizes too big? Was it just a great price and the knowledge that your tailor could fix it? Because fix it he did. Looks lovely.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I dont quite understand. Why did you buy a suit two sizes too big? Was it just a great price and the knowledge that your tailor could fix it? Because fix it he did. Looks lovely.

Chocosa is a very tall man. I'd guess this is his only option if he buys RTW.

Agree about it looking lovely!

Last edited:

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Thank You for posting as often as you do, If it weren't for people posting I'd be without my standard "just got home from work, plunked down on my den chair and turned on the computer" lite reading material. That being said, in more than one of these pics, the jacket and pants look to be slightly different shades of blue from each other... ?

Last edited:

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chocosa is a very tall man. I'd guess this is his only option if he buys RTW.

Agree about it looking lovely!

This among other things..the suit is technically my size.. but the body was just enormous..The shoulders fit.. but that was about all...there is no way of knowing that unless you try it on which is impossible when buying online..I knew Brioni was cut generously but the original pattern was made for a real portly type of person...I know from now on to size down if I ever want to buy Brioni again. Coupled with my height (6"9) there are not a lot of options out there.. so thank goodness for my tailor!

SYCSYC

Reaction score
Thank You for posting as often as you do, If it weren't for people posting I'd be without my standard "just got home from work, plunked down on my den chair and turned on the computer" lite reading material. That being said, in more than one of these pics, the jacket and pants look to be slightly different shades of blue from each other... ?

I think it comes from the pictures: jacket and trousers are both part of a SuSu Havana

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I purchased this tie in the spring and forgot that I had it.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NEW SUIT! purchased this with the pinstripe one a couple months ago and just got it back.. the remarkable thing is that this suit was just the wrong size. Atleast two sizes to big..the tailor had to completely re-cut the suit... the took in the sides considerably being that it ballooned out so much...they had to take out the pockets on the jacket to recut it and then re-attach it..they also had to re-cut the sleeves and rotate them. The pants were also so big on me.. makes sense because I am a drop nine. Being that my tailors had to take in the pants by 4 inches they had to take out all four pockets and re-cut the pants as well... I should have taken a before picture.. its amazing what they have done.. simply put these guys are amazing..all this was done for a little over $300..crazy right..sad news is the husband of the husband/wife team/tandem retires next fall... the wife is just as good but he handles my stuff.. just trying to get it in before he does retire..also do not have a true hard 3 button suit so getting used to it..This was worn yesterday for church..
This was worn a couple of weekends ago..date night with my wife..
Trim and dashing as always. Especially, I like the choice of shirt which serves as a perfect foil to the pattern in the suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads