• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's what I wore to my Master's degree admission interview. By fear of 'out-dressing' the interviewing staff, I opted out of the navy suit/white shirt/solid navy tie/black shoes attire I initially had planned out. I opted to dress slightly more casual but still look the part, which I hope I did (I still out-dressed the interviewers but I don't think they took offense).

Keep in mind I'm in the beginning of my quest to become a better dresser, but I still have some weight to lose before I want to start really investing in some better quality garments.

I know there are some pretty important things I need to address regarding this fit:

- It is imperative I start to look for trousers (both in wool and cotton) that fits correctly - I have wide hips, a flat ass and big thighs from weight lifting and cycling. I need to get Luxire on the task ASAP.

- This SuSu's Havana jacket has pretty slim (read: tight) sleeves and I am some pretty big arms and prominent shoulders. Thus, the sleeve rides up on the arm during the day and I get some ripples near the shoulders, almost like divots - they go away when I thug down the sleeves but it get tiresome.

- I need better (and larger) ties. This one is by PRL (thrifted), and although I love the colors, it ties a terrible knot and is too slim (around 3,1") for my build.

- I know I have a dropped left shoulder. Unless I go bespoke, I don't think there's much I can do for that, right?

- I still need to loose a couple of pounds that's for sure!

Anything I am missing? Fortunately, the back of the jacket is pretty good fitting, there is only still a small amount of pulling between the shoulder blades - I will have to take it back to the tailor to further let out the center seam. I might try a new tailor, this one doesn't really listen to what I would like (sleeve length and such) and I always have to go back for further adjustments.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't wear pants during one of my interviews. It was over Skype.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't wear pants during one of my interviews. It was over Skype.

In my line of work, I don't have much occasion to dress up (hence my lack of proper CM clothes). So I'm glad it was in person - although my fit is far from perfect, it gave me an occasion to dress the part with the few pieces I have (and get you guys opinion in the same occasion, to get better with time).

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Most of the fits posted here, really swell. Besides it takes balls.
The presentation tho, sometimes not so much. Odd too; no balls needed.
But there are times they both come together. The below pic may be the best example ever of that. Magazines, internet, tv, you name it. I've got two thumbs so how come I can't give it two thumbs?

is there a SF approved way to take fit pics? like height, distance, camera equipment...I have a decent camera, but no idea what else I should do 
shog%5B1%5D.gif

I noticed your question came right after Justin Kapur's latest pic. Big bucks for an Isia, then the worst picture possible. It's a selfie probably, sans tripod using both arms so its something large like an iPad and because of the two-arms-as-far-as-I-can-reach pose the shoulders look they they were just sent through a 1910 washer wringer. Justin, favor yourself and us with a real camera with a timer.

So Semper, get a cheap camera and a tripod. And whatever picture you take for posting, for Christ's sake, run it thru software first. Few here do. Software crops, zooms, hghlights, brightens, darkens, etc. How many times have you seen two pics here of the same outfit and one looks gray and the other navy? But you won't be to posting stuff like that. Promise. Whatever pics you take, take 12 all in the same spot, all the same light, all within 5 minutes. Choose three good ones, shoot them thru your software. post and you're silver. Golden if I like them.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ShawnBC I certainly wouldn't fret over the tie. It seems to be a slightly smaller knot than I'd opt for, but it doesn't look like a shoelace in proportion to your dollar.

All in all, looks solid in my book.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ShawnBC I certainly wouldn't fret over the tie. It seems to be a slightly smaller knot than I'd opt for, but it doesn't look like a shoelace in proportion to your dollar.

All in all, looks solid in my book.

Thank you @ericgereghty , I was actually quite anxious to post my first fit pictures because I know critique can be harsh sometimes. But I'll learn! I will probably opt for a DFIH instead of a regular FIH knot next time I use this tie.

I know it's not perfect (the whole look and fit) but you should see where I started!

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you @ericgereghty , I was actually quite anxious to post my first fit pictures because I know critique can be harsh sometimes. But I'll learn! I will probably opt for a DFIH instead of a regular FIH knot next time I use this tie.

I know it's not perfect (the whole look and fit) but you should see where I started!
All in all, seems a perfect opportunity to practice not giving a shite about many of the opinions out there. It would be one thing to provide constructive feedback, but to lambaste a tie for looking a few millimeters too slim would be one I'd file in the "cool story, bro" folder.

The DFIH is (for me, at least) one that requires much practice. I still can't seem to knot one up without it looking silly and intensely elongated vertically, rather than providing the additional heft it is intended to.

doodledoc

Reaction score
Here's what I wore to my Master's degree admission interview. By fear of 'out-dressing' the interviewing staff, I opted out of the navy suit/white shirt/solid navy tie/black shoes attire I initially had planned out. I opted to dress slightly more casual but still look the part, which I hope I did (I still out-dressed the interviewers but I don't think they took offense).

Keep in mind I'm in the beginning of my quest to become a better dresser, but I still have some weight to lose before I want to start really investing in some better quality garments.

I know there are some pretty important things I need to address regarding this fit:

- It is imperative I start to look for trousers (both in wool and cotton) that fits correctly - I have wide hips, a flat ass and big thighs from weight lifting and cycling. I need to get Luxire on the task ASAP.

- This SuSu's Havana jacket has pretty slim (read: tight) sleeves and I am some pretty big arms and prominent shoulders. Thus, the sleeve rides up on the arm during the day and I get some ripples near the shoulders, almost like divots - they go away when I thug down the sleeves but it get tiresome.

- I need better (and larger) ties. This one is by PRL (thrifted), and although I love the colors, it ties a terrible knot and is too slim (around 3,1") for my build.

- I know I have a dropped left shoulder. Unless I go bespoke, I don't think there's much I can do for that, right?

- I still need to loose a couple of pounds that's for sure!

Anything I am missing? Fortunately, the back of the jacket is pretty good fitting, there is only still a small amount of pulling between the shoulder blades - I will have to take it back to the tailor to further let out the center seam. I might try a new tailor, this one doesn't really listen to what I would like (sleeve length and such) and I always have to go back for further adjustments.

I also have a dropped shoulder (right shoulder is lower than my left), which creates problems in the back of my jacket (divots near the back of my collar). A tailor can easily address this issue.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again to those who like my pictures and who post pictures of themselves.

There has been some discussion here recently about bold stripes on shirts and Brooks Brothers BB#1 striped ties. I was out today doing my patriotic duty to stimulate the economy by buying things while wearing a Brooks Brothers blue blazer, PPBD shirt, and tie, Squarextraordinare pocket square, Vineyard Vines pink belt with little blue lobsters and little white lobsters on it, Land's End blue and white seersucker trousers, and Bass white bucs with blue shoelaces.....

...and, as it was Shark Week in Los Angeles, I also had a Vanilla Shark Cupcake.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All you LA people need to organize a meetup soon....@Roycru must be there. I would be there for sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads