1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. fieldofdreams

fieldofdreams Senior member

AAS has a very unique style. I think styles like his are probably the ones that keep casual SF lurkers coming back. I don't know what percent of views come from people that don't post, but I bet it's high. As great as someone like @Claghorn 's style is, it is subdued and very SF. The detail to which he has polished his style, in a very SF approved way, keeps the locals happy. I would guess that posters like AAS are equally, if not more valuable, to the site and it's ability to create revenue. People who have styles that are outside the SF box are going to be of interest to many that would not be interested in more traditional style. I'm glad that we have a variety of looks on here, as long as they're not GQ looks. I think AAS does what he does and does it well. When I was first perusing the site, I was always interested to see what he was wearing, and I still am.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    6 people like this.
  2. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
    Batman Peak Lapels.

3. Seamless

Seamless Senior member

I am the knight.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

arooooo!

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Just caught up with the last twenty or so pages.

I like the way @PCK1 lays down a highly trenchant and more-than-a-little controversial critique, defends it with all guns blazing, and then silences everyone with an ultra-awesome fit.

That, gentlemen, is how it's done. The best way to garner respect around here is to post devastating fits. After that, you can pretty much say what you like.

I must try this one day.

5 people like this.
  6. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
    I still think your 2001 Space Odyssey post was legendary but most people here have a lame banter-drive.

1 person likes this.
  7. fieldofdreams

You have the right, no matter how good you are, to ridicule someone for doing something differently than you would. It still makes you an asshole. I like some of his fits. The last one I didn't think was so great. They are all a little boxy for my taste or he is just overweight. I'm not sure which is the case, but both make his fits looks less aesthetically pleasing. If it is that he is overweight I'm not going to ridicule him for it and then post a shirtless pic to validate my claim. Either way he is no where near the top 10 of posters on here.

Regardless, he has ever right to say what he wants. I just don't think anyone that he criticizes is taking it constructively. He is not doing it for them. It is all just him feeding his ego.

2 people like this.
  8. colco

colco Senior member

+1.

Stunning shoes. Pretty fabric. Great tie and shirt collar. Tailoring however was very.....uninspired. Really surprised at the fanboying over what I see as a middling fit (that probably cost $1000's).

1 person likes this.
  9. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I have no need to defend my fit. The enormous amount of compliments from well regarded members as well as the high number of pm's with questions and further compliments speaks for itself.

In regards to me being overweight. I'm 213 lbs. Call it what you want. I don't think that qualifies as overweight...but I'm not a medical doctor so I'm not sure. Perhaps the mirror selfie lends to the boxiness...but I'm also not a professional photographer...so I can't say.

Am I an asshole? If you say so...but calling someone out on being overweight...and then pretending that you aren't going to ridicule someone for it after you've already brought it up...its a real bullshit way to go about things...really slimy.

And most importantly...I never personally attacked anyone on this forum. I attacked a shirt. A material object. Not a sentient being. My comments were about the utility of a particular shirt within several examples of outfits and how the shirt would not work.

Your comments about my weight are a personal attack on me. Who's the asshole? You...

Please do tell...what is "inspired tailoring"?

I think my tailor would be very amused to know that his decades of experience have been for naught.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    5 people like this.
  10. Seamless

Seamless Senior member

I liked the fabric as well. Maybe it's just the picture but I wasn't a huge fan of the fit. I'm sure it looks better in person. It's really difficult to take a flattering photo without a tripod and such.

1 person likes this.
  11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Oops - I feel responsible now for prodding the wasp nest.

On this occasion I agree with @PCK1 - his comments on the shirt, forceful though they undoubtedly were, were about a shirt. They did not constitute a personal attack.

Gentlemen, let's stop calling each other assholes. Adverse comments about peoples' physiques are also unlikely to be helpful in any way.

1 person likes this.
  12. colco

colco Senior member

@PCK1 I shared my thoughts (I was the first person to comment on your fit). I felt the jacket appeared long (could be photography) and is quite shapeless (similar to @fieldofdreams comments). As you say, no need for you to defend it if you are happy with it.

EDIT: I only commented about the clothes. We are the exact same weight fwiw.

13. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

You have no need to feel responsible.

While my comments and apparently my outfit were very polarizing...I do believe that this sort of debate is good from time to time.

3 people like this.
  14. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I will wear the suit again after Christmas and I'll get a full shot then. Perhaps that will give a better perspective.

15. colco

colco Senior member

Agreed. If this board (and thread in particular) were more spirited it'd be much better.

16. fieldofdreams

@PCK1 You're mean spirited comments (I don't think I'm the only one that views them as such) could be viewed as a personal attack by someone that put a lot of effort into a look that you disapproved of. Honestly, I don't care about your weight. You could spend your remaining days on a hamburger and whiskey diet and I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep.

The point is that when I commented on something about you, it struck a nerve. I'm sure half of your posts strike a nerve with someone. You could be more kind and get your point across. No one expects Mother Theresa. But you might want to consider that the people whose looks your insulting probably put a lot of effort into the clothes that the proudly posted before being taken down a notch by you.

Whether or not an attack is personal is in the eyes of those who are perceived as being attacked.

EDIT: I'm not saying that you shouldn't be critical. I'm saying that maybe a little couth could go a long way.

17. colco

colco Senior member

Edit: Wrong thread

1 person likes this.
  18. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Actually I disagree.

Opinions and critique regarding clothes and attire cannot be regarded as "personal" when we are on a clothes and attire forum.

The first fit I ever posted on SF received a response along the lines of "the suit might possibly be acceptable, although it's hard to tell from this photo. Burn everything else. With fire."

Too harsh? Unhelpful? A personal attack? None of the above. It was a bad fit, fully deserving of the opprobrium. Yes, I felt somewhat insulted. But I was also motivated by it to try and lift my game.

Anyone who posts outfits on this board is, by doing so, inviting criticism of what they've posted.

4 people like this.
  19. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I believe exactly the opposite. Indeed we are on a clothing forum where men obsess about the finest details of their dress. An item of clothing represents a choice, an aesthetic. That is also what is being critiqued and why when PCK1 tells simeone to burn an item of their clothing, it obviously boils the blood. If PCK1 can't understand that, I don't know how I could better explain it so that he would. There is a way to offer criticism without being hnkind. Some people on this forum/thread are very good at it, and others aren't. When I notice a pattern towards the latter in a particular commentor, generally, I stop listening to that person, no matter how well they dress, because really, who wants the stress? I quote Jimmy Stewart from the movie 'Harvey': "I've been smart, and I've been kind. I recommend being kind."

Christmas!!!!! Headed to Indy fir a week with the inlaws.
    [​IMG]
    Going to have to move the buttons on this collar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.