• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does a British or Neapolitan cut flatter different physiques better, or is it really just personal preference?

These days one really needs to define those terms. There’s now an immense variety of cuts available, at least in principle, and many combine aspects of these originally distinct Ur-styles (and indeed, traditional 'British' isn't really a single cut but two: city and country). It's best, I would argue, to ask the question not about these increasingly ill-defined national stereotypes but about individual design characteristics: buttoning point, lapel width, vents, shoulder expression, etc.

There’s some information on this question to be found in the tailoring thread, but since the purpose of that thread is to help with individual cases and not with general principles it’s scattered and not easy to find. Searching for Despos’s postings is one way to start.

But SF could really use a thread devoted to this question.

It’s a more complicated question than it would have been a century ago, however, since there’s no longer a consensus definition of ‘flattering’. People who are consciously pursuing a ‘relaxed’ or ‘casual’ look, for example, might answer slightly differently than those who aren’t.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those suits shoulders look great. Those are the Sartorios?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but actually I don't think they look great. In fact, every time I see one of @The_Foxx 's fits I feel like tugging down on his jacket sleeves to smooth out the upper arms, which seem to bunch up too much, leading to ripples in the cloth.

I suspect this might be because he has very muscular shoulders and/or upper arms. Perhaps a slightly looser fit could fix this problem and lead to a more flattering overall silhouette?

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm missing something, but actually I don't think they look great. In fact, every time I see one of @The_Foxx 's fits I feel like tugging down on his jacket sleeves to smooth out the upper arms, which seem to bunch up too much, leading to ripples in the cloth.

I suspect this might be because he has very muscular shoulders and/or upper arms. Perhaps a slightly looser fit could fix this problem and lead to a more flattering overall silhouette?

+1, just look at his post from a few days ago of an Attolini suit. Looks a lot better. Remarkably, when I commented on that, @The_Foxx replied he actually prefers the fit of his Sartorio suits.
confused.gif

Edit: I may have misread his comment, BTW.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In both pics, he is holding his arms forward, not a typical robo-pose. I was more talking about the overall silhouette from the collar to th shoulder seam, not below

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I completely agree-- if only I could get true bespoke to account for my forward pitched arms which often bunch and wrinkle my sleeves, yet give me the same shoulder as my current rtw and mtm suits! The Cesare Attolini was obscenely expensive, purchased while making more $$ working overseas-- I've heard Attolini referred to as the "Ferrarai of Italian suits," and perhaps first for good reason

Perhaps I'm missing something, but actually I don't think they look great. In fact, every time I see one of @The_Foxx
's fits I feel like tugging down on his jacket sleeves to smooth out the upper arms, which seem to bunch up too much, leading to ripples in the cloth.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's attire, with the addition of new boots (courtesy of the sale at Paul Stuart).

Suit - BB Regent
Shirt - BB MTM
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - New & Lingwood
Boots - Paul Stuart house brand

colco

Reaction score
first appearance of kid, last appearance of a tie (at least for the week) as it's hotter than hell in NYC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads