HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. AJL

AJL Senior member

This. You've put together a very well curated look, which is half the battle. To win the war, you've got to dial in the fit.

Still prob. better than 95% of what's out there in the "real world" (the world that exists beyond the virtual borders of SF...)

2. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

@luv2breformed I'll add my 2 cents. It seems to me your fit issues are caused by your sloped shoulders. Seems the jacket hangs down from your neck, and as a result the shoulders sit too high, the jacket looks too short and button point is too high. I'm not a tailor, but perhaps it can be altered in the neck so that it sits on your shoulders properly.
    Fit is snug, but I wouldn't say it's too tight. As long as your movements are not restricted it should be OK.
    Love the styling, colour and cloth of the jacket.
    Not a fan of the grey shirt, TBH.

3. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Inaugural Proper cloth shirt wearing today

J.Crew wool Bowery pant
    Alden for BB loafs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Great shirt. Good fit. On the loose side, but nice. Is that the soft ivy button down? Thoughts?

5. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Thanks! If it were any tighter I probably wouldn't be able to sit down comfortably.

Also I just lost 20 pounds so I'm not used to being this skinny again yet (and am not sure whether I can trust myself to maintain this yet either).

Anyway, yes it's the soft Ivy.

Not worth the price. Kamakura's collar is the same essentially. It's cool to customize the fit but it seems like luxire would give you a better value and let you get closer to the perfect shirt (for me, that would mean the full 3.5" collar points like a mercer, only with a slim fit).

6. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

So homeys...I have a wedding question....I know this isn't the normal forum for that, but figured I'd ask real quick..

This weekend I am attending the wedding of a cousin in the rolling hills of south central kentucky (no cousin jokes please). The location is a converted barn that now has events like this. It is located on a horse farm. I was told "casual" is the requested dress. Food is going to be BBQ and miller lite. I have only met the groom about a half a dozen times, and have never seen him without a Cubs or Tractor Supply hat. Other family members are saying to dress like a pro golfer, or otherwise khakis and a polo. There will probably be cowboy boots in the crowd. The groomsmen are wearing khaki dress pants and white shirts.

I just....can't....get...my...head...around....this. I have never been to a wedding where I didn't wear a suit. Any suggestions how to play this? All I have thought of so far is a pair of light grey cotton dress pants, blue gingham shirt with the sleeves rolled up (high of 86, 4:30 wedding), and loafers. Open to ideas. thanks

(by the way I don't have dress khakis, just very casual, lounge with chukkas version)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  7. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Can you please educate me as to where to look to get to the same conclusions as you guys? Clearly, I see what you mean about the shortness of the jacket and the added benefits of a lower buttoning point. What I don't get is the chest tightness part - I don't see any pulling nor lapel bowing (unless it's really minimal, of course). I thought I was getting better regarding assessment of fit but clearly I still have lots to learn - this jacket, except for the shortness, was (ok, maybe not perfect) but damn good in my eyes.

8. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I would recommend a casual button down shirt, chinos and maybe loafers.Ive had a couple of those kind of weddings to attend out here and wearing a jacket will make you stick out big time..I had a wedding like that two months ago in a barn as well and thats what I went with. I was still better dressed than most there but not too the point that I was overdressed..hope this helps cousinsD

9. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Agreed. You certainly don't want to overdress the groom. Even if you go wearing the casual-est of suits, chances are you'd still stick out like a sore thumb. What about some linen or linen blend trousers?

10. An Acute Style

Shoulders should be straight. The shoulders here are concave upward. Look at the jacket where it's buttoned. It's not laying flat. It's turned outward. That's because it's too tight. Look at the first picture right under the armpits. He has a pronounced chest. You can see the outline of his pectoral muscles. Or at least I think that is what that is. I could be wrong. There are diagonal lines running from his lapels down to his ribs right above his pockets. I'm not an expert at all, but these things don't look right to me. They're not the end of the world though.

11. An Acute Style

Really, it doesn't look tight at all. I like Proper Cloths fabrics more than Luxire's. They have a nice selection of gingham and oxfords for $85 that look uniform. They seem like they'd be more stable than Luxire as well. Better customer service, etc. Kamakura's don't fit me well. I'm thinking about giving Proper Cloth a try.

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

@Cotton Dockers , I was going to suggest linen pants and a polo shirt as well. Or perhaps seersucker pants.

Just relax. Hell, break out your denim jacket. You'll fit right in :p

13. AJL

AJL Senior member

nvm

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I like your plan. You will probably be "over" dressed, but no so much that anyone would beef with you. Enjoy looking nicer than everyone else.

idk, it just looks snug. it does not have that smooth look of a properly fitting jacket. it does not look comfy. even a curvaceous jacket will look smooth and cool when properly fitted. again, it does not look bad, but it could look better, and i know l2b wants to get his game as high as he can.

15. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I agree the fit is not the best. Shoulders need some help (Elio I think you are 100% correct here). It is about .5" too short, and the buttoning point is definitely too high. I do not agree that the jacket is too tight. At least, it doesn't feel too tight. I have posted tighter jackets that got nothing but thumbs. That said, the jacket doesn't fit right, which may be contributing to it appearing too tight. Slowly getting fed up with RTW. I will take it to a competent tailor and see if what Elio suggested is something he can do.

Shoes are meermin, AAS. :)