1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

Trust me.. no matter how bad it is.. your country has nothing over the U.S..my cousin visited from Nigeria last year and as I was driving her to around she was really quiet.. suddenly she turned to me and said.."I find it fascinating that the homeless people you have around are so overweight." I thought the remark was disparaging but still rather insightful...the portions served at some restaurants out here are astronomical it makes no sense..

1 person likes this.
  2. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

Haha, I know. I have lived there... but we have, or used to have, a Mediterrean diet which is not so greasy and fatty as other countries and people usually have not been that fat, at least not in younger years but what I see now saddens me.

Maybe it is because I was very active and athletic from the start and my school was very pushy to involve everyone in sports which was a very good thing, but now I guess young people have other priorities (twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp...)...

3. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

It's a mix, along with the added in factor of children simply not being allowed to be active. We've become (only speaking for America) such a paranoid society that it's become an odd sight for children of a reasonable age to be given the freedom to just "play," for lack of a better word.

During summers way back, I'd come home from camps and basically head off with my friends on bikes, and usually wouldn't come back until it was dark. Whether it was riding bikes, playing sports, or just moving, that was the "norm," something which I feel rarely exists anymore today...

1 person likes this.
  4. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

Perhaps, this should be renamed 'What are you weighing today'?

Speaking from the smug lofty heights of my 8% BF

2 people like this.
  5. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

That reminds me of the title of a collection of cartoons by Nicole Hollander - "I'm Always the Perfect Weight for My Height, Which Varies".

1 person likes this.
  6. deluxea

deluxea Member

Give me pointers, I know my pants are a bit wrinkled. Had to give a small casual presentation today.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

Humble musings:

1. Don't wear a tie with that look; it's too casual.
    2. Roll the sleeves up a little.
    3. Wear a brown belt.
    4. Shoes are baller.

1 person likes this.
  8. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Those aren't braces - that's a backpack. I'm sure that there's a belt underneath the OP's left arm. Shoes are baller - agreed on that point.

9. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

Absolutely... same here...

End of the off topic, apologies.

1 person likes this.
  10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's good to see that Bond, James Bond is back in suits that fit.

3 people like this.
  12. deluxea

deluxea Member

Fair assessment I'll keep those in mind, thanks! My belt is brown it is slightly darker than my boots so I do want a lighter one.

13. sugarbutch

Despite appearances, this jacket is not at all tight in the chest or waist. DBs just may not be my thing...

[​IMG]

14 people like this.
  14. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

@sugarbutch while pictures at a greater distance would better highlight the fit (in my opinion), I think you look quite good in that DB.

I'm not tremendously keen on the lapels, but that's hardly a fit issue.

1 person likes this.
  15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Lo! Rejoice!

Cheers,

Ac

[​IMG]

25 people like this.
  16. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I have the sartorial equivalent of limitless range and no conscience, it's true.

3 people like this.
  17. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

OK, I have been asked to weigh in [[​IMG]] so I will.

Firstly one needs to define the word "normal". Usually this is taken to mean "average" - which could be measured as the mean, the median or the mode. One can also specify standard deviation, which is a measure of the spread around that average. This is an exercise is statistics - gathering and interpreting data about the body fat of individuals in a sample population.

However I suspect that Victor may have been using the word to mean something more like "ideal". This is a much more nebulous concept which may draw partly from health considerations, and partly from aesthetics. The former (health) is arguable - there are many different opinions as to what is an "ideally healthy" body fat percentage, all of which can be supported by argument. The latter (aesthetics) is highly subjective and changes with cultural perspective and time.

Victor's own body shot (and I lulz'ed at his courage in posting that shot - certainly added some zest to this forum!) shows that he has a very well-developed musculature, no doubt from some serious weights work in the gym over several years. I share others' scepticism that he carried 18% body fat for that photo. Here's a well-known pictorial chart of male body fat percentages:

[​IMG]

I would definitely rate Victor's body fat as around 15% in that photo. 16% tops. It would be interesting to know which method he employs to measure his body fat. (More on this below.)

From the health perspective, "ideal" body fat levels vary with age. This reflects that fact that muscle mass can be expected to decline naturally from the age of about 30 onwards. We can't all put aside the time to work out obsessively in order to counter this natural age-related decline, although there are very strong arguments in favour of doing so.

Here's one chart showing how "ideal" body fat percentage can be expected to vary with age:

[​IMG]

I'm guessing that Victor is around late 30s, maybe early 40s. According to the above chart, his "ideal" body fat should therefore be around 13-19%, not 12% as he states. I myself am 55 years old and therefore my "ideal" should be around 19-24%.

There are many ways body fat can be measured, including some very tedious methodologies involving skin pinch tests, calipers, and enormous complex charts bulging with numbers. Fuck that. I measure my body fat using Tanita scales, which measure body impedance via a small electric current passed through from left foot to right foot via the body, and then use a data bank to calculate a result based on previously-inputted data of one's gender and height (and on some models, age).

I have in fact two sets of these scales, one in Melbourne (which is now nearly 20 years old) and another in Sydney, purchased this year. The former generally yields results around 16-18% and the latter shows me at more like 17-19%. There is significant diurnal variation: I generally weigh a couple of kilos more in the evening - presumably due to a higher water content in my body - and hence the body fat percentage is lower, often by up to 2% lower than that same morning.

So I'm actually at the lower end of "ideal", verging on "lean", if the above chart is to be believed. Should it be believed? There is a lot of conflicting evidence about this, but some recent research has shown that extremely lean people tend to be longer-lived. Certainly we know that overweight and obese people have dramatically shorter average life spans and higher incidences of chronic ill-health.

Aesthetic considerations add another layer of obfuscation. Personally I think Victor looks terrific in that photo, and if I looked like that, I'd be happy. I don't look like that. In fact I still have a small pot belly which I'd like to get rid of. My personal goal is to get my body fat down to about 14-16%, which puts me firmly in "lean" territory on the above chart, but would give me a flat tummy and maybe just a tiny hint of rectus abdominis definition, arguably without compromising my health.

As to Victor's main message - which is that sometimes it's better to reshape your body rather than trying to laboriously re-tailor all your ill-fitting clothes... well, he's not the first to state that opinion on this forum. In fact it comes up regularly, and usually provokes a vigorous exchange of views.

Of course in many ways he's absolutely right. But it's just a fact of life that some people are not in a position to do this. They have busy jobs, families to raise, a household budget to adhere to... any number of pressing reasons not to hit the gym five times per week. So while it's fine to offer such advice in good spirit, it's probably not advice which should be pressed too hard on any one individual. In fact, that could be verging on rude. @Koala-T responded very well - basically by not engaging. Well played.

13 people like this.
  18. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I still fondly remember one of Cox's first posts being a good natured suggestion that Butler get Botox. Out of bounds, but given that Cox is a well regarded plastic surgeon, was also well meaning

1 person likes this.
  19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

^ Haha, yes, well I guess every internet forum has its own rules and boundaries. I overstepped them that time.

Actually I don't think Victor overstepped the boundaries on this occasion, but he was certainly balanced directly above them.

20. sugarbutch

Nice of you to say, but the big issue is that I'm short, and being cut in half at crotch level just doesn't do me any favors. I think this jacket is probably as much as an inch too long, but even considering that, I may need to accept reality.