• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cakv you'll get no argument from me regarding from whom my children get their looks. Shoes are AE Mora.

@Maximus Rex the bride's mother wanted morning dress, but the groom refused because he didn't want to wear a top hat. My wife is related to the groom.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of flannel... revisiting the first suit I ever had made, which I rarely reach for because of the stripes and what feels (but doesn't seem to look in pics as much) like overly-structured shoulders. Length is 1" longer than my other suits and lapels are a bit wider - a good thing, I know. :satisfied:

Work it back into the rotation?

Now that's a true robo pose.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case, this wedding would pay for one average Australian wedding per week....for a year!!

As I said, insanely opulent. I cant really wrap my head around it, to be honest. The one consolation I can take from it is that all that money now enters the economy (oh, and that I got to experience it).
Quote:

re the comment about shoulders- I have some soft shouldered KW suits and get similar feedback from time to time. You get the naked truth with a soft shoulder. They're not forgiving to a small drop, but part of the big head effect is the pic itself imo.
If the pic was taken from across the other side of the street the photographer would avoid the perspective distortion that makes your body look smaller in proportion to your head.
teacha.gif

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

SF Family:
Post-Imperial
Howard Yount
Meermin

One of my least Claggish fits (and another shirt, actually the twin from a few days ago, whose sleeves are too short, though at this point in the day, they've been somewhat revealed as the linen in the jacket has caused the jacket sleeves to shorten, via wrinkling, with wear).

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Late to the game but wanted to echo the love on that Helden jacket.

Great rig, CD.

SeaJen, baller wedding.

Seamaster, v nice. PS deets?

Last edited:

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SF Family:
Post-Imperial
Howard Yount
Meermin

One of my least Claggish fits (and another shirt, actually the twin from a few days ago, whose sleeves are too short, though at this point in the day, they've been somewhat revealed as the linen in the jacket has caused the jacket sleeves to shorten, via wrinkling, with wear).

Awesome jacket and fit - who is the maker? What kind of fabric is it?

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...]

So I thought the shoulders were NOT structured.

[...]

The shoulder is still very soft with minimal padding but the seam allowances inside the sleevehead are pressed open to give a slight bit of volume.

Apparently there is some structure ('minimal padding'), but I think it's the pressed open seam at the sleevehead that's key here.

To me, Formosa shoulders always looked very...horizontal--like they'd be a poor fit for sloped shoulders. Not sure if that has anything to do with padding, or lack thereof, just an observation.

Yeah, you're probably right, though that horizontal-like line may be caused by the sleevehead, see above.

BTW, that blue suit you posted recently (yesterday?) is absolutely spot on. Unlike all the big name Italian and English bespoke tailors, I have yet to see anything by @Despos that I didn't like. There are many examples here on SF, even from very famous tailors commisioned by very experienced members, whose bespoke projects have had disappointing results. But it seems Chris Despos always delivers. If only Chicago weren't so far away from Jakarta (I doubt one can get much further on this globe...)

@SeaJen that wedding budget is... decadent.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you guys mean by "horizontal" shoulders? I'm confused

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Help me here. What are we looking at? The slope of the shoulders? The shoulder expression?

It's a mannequin, you know.

Last edited:

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SF Family:
Post-Imperial
Howard Yount
Meermin

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Greg, is that flannel in the swatch books? because I don't see it online. At least not in the 8/9 oz range

Last edited:

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's on special cards. Not in the regular books

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads