• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the thumbs yesterday. I'm very grateful and humble for that. The main contributor is the cutter, the always very kind and a true gentleman, mr Thomas Mahon.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They say it's summer, but we know that is a lie. Still time for tweed and casual saturday.

'

Jacket & shirt - Whitcomb & Shaftesbury, bespoke
Trousers & PS - CT
Shoes - Loake, 1880.

Quite happy with the jacket.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From the FC:

southernstyle

Reaction score
What can brown do for you?

New Hickey Freeman MTM suiting

• Wool/ Linen blend
  • ¼ Lined
  • Crockett & Jones wheels
  • Tie Your Tie 7 fold

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

sorry, @Claghorn
, another half windsor today...

They generally seem a little large for your neck, collar, or tie width, though this one came out alright for whatever reason.

What jacket did you end up deciding to copy?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Code:
On the basis of tailored clothing, I can't agree with this. o/o had his suit looks down pat. (No hate, GMMcL)

I'm glad you qualified with that clause about 'tailored clothing', as O/O was guilty in my view of posting some of the most laughably bad 'casual' fits I've ever seen on the Internet. Just really, really, inexcusably bad. Like leather biker jacket, jorts, white gym socks and flip-flops bad.

I also think his example sorta makes G-Mac's point that as long as you demonstrate SOME level of sartorial knowledge and post often enough, sometimes by sheer force of volume and establishing your SF personality, your weaknesses will be overlooked, and you will be embraced by a sizable enough proportion as to receive 'thumbs' and compliments enough to satisfy the most attention-craving soul. O/O's clothes fitted him horribly IMO but this was always overlooked as it was 'his thing' and despite this he received compliments aplenty. Kinda like AAS and his ridiculous horse bits.

So G-Mac, expecting there to be some kind of fair and balanced objective and empirical rating of applause and commentary from SF is just not gonna happen.

And my two cents on your fits, G-Mac - I might as well put this here as I've been itching to say this for a while now - I always wince when I scroll down your pics as I think your fits are consistently let down by your penchant for wearing grey flannels that drape like a pair of sweat pants. This is made all the more obvious when, as has happened a few times, you are unfortunate enough to post right after Betelgeuse, who seems to have achieved the formula of perfection when it comes to the way his pants fall. Sharp creases, perfectly vertical, no break, unlike the curving, banana shaped creases and folds which are so common in your trou. Just my unsolicited opinion of course, but I reckon if you addressed that you might be in receipt of more thumbs!

Last edited:

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

'Twas a busy day. Better late than never...?

Okay, I had to go look at GMMcL's fit again. I won't comment about double standards, it's a simple fact of life and it's not really useful to discuss fits.
I think I understand why, just based on the pictures posted, the whole look will be better served with oxfords or at best, socks.
1. The jacket even though it is made from a casual fabric, the cut is structured and it has a sharp and clean look which is a bit tricky to pull off with loafers sans socks. If it was deconstructed, it will look more organic with the loafers.
2. The shirt's color. A white shirt with spread collar worn with a jacket that has some structure comes off as a bit formal. I get that the fabric is heavily textured but we are only judging the pics.

Just some thoughts.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

O/O's clothes fitted him horribly IMO but this was always overlooked as it was 'his thing' and despite this he received compliments aplenty.

o/o's fit just wasn't contemporary at all. But his pants draped wonderfully and his jackets fit cleanly and consistently. He always looked like a man of authority who also enjoyed his clothes.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My newest ebay thrift and the fit is very good. It´s more a sportscoat for colder days, so today should be the last day to wear this coat for a longer time.

You're a master at getting decent fits of the ebay. Love the cloth on that jacket

(Once I get past my pet loathing for stiff, pagoda-like shoulders). That tie/suit color combo is awsm. Some combos just look more 'grown-up' than others.

grade

Reaction score

Ring suit on maiden voyage
️Zegna
Drakes on maiden voyage
Rubinacci
Pantherella
Vass

No waiting for the train resulted in a picture inside the train opposed to outside in better light.

But think it calls for a darker, more business-y tie.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But think it calls for a darker, more business-y tie.
I disagree. I think the strong stripes are business-y enough that they need a softening touch, especially given that it's a hard-finished, lightweight worsted. In a flannel, then I could see a darker tie.

Sugarbutch has it right about the cut of O/O's clothes, but Ianiceman has it right about the ludicrous casual stuff he'd post.

Gmm, I think it's a venal sin to go sockless with that navy blazer rig. I think it's a bit vulgar to go sockless in wool trousers (I think I stole that idea from John Tinseth, though maybe not), but it's a rule that has stood me in good stead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads