1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. GMMcL

GMMcL Distinguished Member

Good evening my dudes.
    No fit today but not out of rage. I worked from home and therefore dressed unbefitting this thread's zeitgeist.
    As to my meme, I spend most of my waking day trying to persuade people of one thing or another-- on behalf of clients or superiors, against adversaries or spouses or offspring, or buyers on the fence about that $3000 suit for the outrageous sum of $249.99. I come here to get away from all that noise.
    The good news is that such flagrant deflection will also evade kerfuffle. The bad news is it will leave unsubstantiated and unpersuasive my position that the likes of Spoo (from whom I unabashedly and unapologetically draw inspiration -- no reason not to aim high), Old Dog Old Tricks and countless more current posters I prefer not to name because I don't want to seem like I'm calling them to the matt, which would not be my intention at all, have posted nearly identical sock less fits and all of which met with high acclaim. What I will say is that Spoo routinely deploys the exact same Alden shell full strap loafers sockless with worsted grays and no one says boo. And old dog went sockless in a gray flannel stripe suit with balmoral oxfords. So my patch pocket swelled edge chambray denim slubby wonderland fit seems a minor transgression.
    Ymmv.

Who wants s'mores?

Last edited: May 29, 2015

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Distinguished Member

That would be every state in its own way.

3. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Distinguished Member

No chance as the quality of the photo was sub standard.

FWIW - same cut as my earlier post with wife beside me.

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

So you are agreeing with me

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Distinguished Member

Rare, I know. I understand that my disagreement with you on matters of clothing probably made you feel somewhat attacked, however when I do agree with you I will not hesitate to mention it. The problem with charcoal trousers, however, is still not because they are associated with suits. [​IMG]

6. Pliny

Pliny Distinguished Member

7. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

The reason I wear socks with my loafers is that when someone steps on my toes it doesn't hurt so much.

Also, what's with all the politics? I thought we had another subforum for that.

8. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

propaganda works because some are realities...

9. GMMcL

Such is my humble intention ambition

10. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

On the basis of tailored clothing, I can't agree with this. o/o had his suit looks down pat. (No hate, GMMcL)

12. GMMcL

So.... S'mores?

13. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

this one is still hanging oddly below the buttoning point. my tailor told me today he thinks the 2nd button (first functional button) was placed slightly off and moving it might fix this weird overlapping quarters problem. I was planning on wearing it to dinner anyway so I didn't leave it with him but will probably do so soon to see if this can be resolved. if anyone here has thoughts, hit me with them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry, @Claghorn , another half windsor today...

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Distinguished Member

I certainly am bigoted in various ways, although I try not to be.

Jaywhyy was correct in identifying the fact that I made at least one generalisation in my little opinion piece. I felt it was justifiable - it really is difficult to find anyone under the age of thirty in China who doesn't hate the Japanese, at least from my own experience. To learn anything at all, one occasionally has to extrapolate from what one observes. Of course, I could be wrong - indeed I wish I were wrong - and I'd welcome Jaywhyy's considered rebuttal of my conclusions.

Caustic Man also made an ironic point about something which I didn't spell out: it's the Chinese Communist Party which has over the past two decades calculatedly fomented anti-Japanese sentiment in its own people, presumably to distract them from various near-intractable problems at home.

And to be sure, it's not like this doesn't go on in the West. I'd be very surprised if there were not an alternative, more measured narrative about Islamic State than the one we get force-fed by our own media. It's glaringly obvious that Mr Murdoch and his ilk feel we should be getting involved in Syria. Why not Somalia then? Or Chad? Or Libya? Or any number of the other dozens of places around the world where unspeakable events are taking place? But in Australia at least, all we ever hear about is "terrorists" and "radicalisation". If we really wanted to prevent another Lindt Café Siege, what would be more cost-effective: a billion-dollar war in the Levant, or decent funding for schizophrenia treatments? The latter, of course - but that surely doesn't suit the agendas of people with their hands on the wheels of power.

15. Pliny

Pliny Distinguished Member

Last edited: May 30, 2015