HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

Thanks! It says Exclusive mohair suiting, woven in England. I actually don't know the make, but my tailor recommended it to me. He has a lot of nice mohair blends with the same feel, and it holds the crease amazingly. Not shiny at all.

Seems to be my tailors standard pleat, but I like it. Haven't cared or thought of changing them [​IMG]

2. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

You shouldn't, they look great. I like that they're forward pleats. I think it's much more flattering than the other way around. Unless you want to look wide around the hips.

3. Layered Player

Layered Player Senior member

4. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Pleats! Yeah!

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

It used to be standard practice for pleats to be stitched-down maybe 5 cm (2") before they opened up. Particular in slightly higher-waisted trousers, it avoids giving the look of a tummy where there might not be one.

6. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

That will be it. Bit high waist on these. Thanks for the information!
    Thank you :)

7. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Yesterday. Too early for this vest? Memorial day is in a week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

The best day for this vest should be one day before the last judgement.

Last edited: May 16, 2015

9. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

There are some who imagine that madras, seersucker, and white shoes should be worn only after Memorial Day and until Labor Day. Others imagine that it's after either Easter or after Confederate Memorial Day and until Labor Day. Still others imagine that any time in a resort area is a good time to wear madras, seersucker, and white shoes. Yet another group imagine that it's never a good time.

I tend to think that your clothes are your clothes and you can wear whatever you want whenever you want, with the one exception that you shouldn't put your pants on over your head because you couldn't see where you were going and your two empty pant legs would hang down like the ears of a droopy eared dog.

(Full disclosure.....I have both patchwork madras pants and a patchwork madras jacket, so I'm probably not the most objective person on the subject of patchwork madras.)

10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Madras and dirty white bucks... The mark of a man.

11. An Acute Style

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, DC.

12. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

You asked for an opinion and you got one. FWIW, I still believe @DonCologne is one day early. You know, fire and brimstone and all that.
    Your love for experimentation sometimes leads to wonderful and inspiring fits. Other times, far less often I should add, there is an occasional train wreck. This is one of them.
    What still surprises me is that on the rare occasion someone says something about that, you tend to get so defensive. I'd have thought you were above that.

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Agreed; something I've never understood given how good natured AAS is and how much fun he seems to have with what he wears.

That being said, his reaction here is likely more a response to the way the criticism was delivered rather than the criticism itself.

In general, criticism meant to be constructive is probably best framed in as boring and snark free a manner as possible. Exceptions, of course, when a preexisting relationship mitigates the snark.

14. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

15. An Acute Style

I've worn this vest many times before and people rarely like it. Many people have said quite directly that they don't like it and I'm fine with that. I just didn't care for DC's delivery given his history here dealing with unkind comments and his reaction to them.

Edit: When I've worn the vest in the past people have mentioned that it was too short (Crusty/SB in particular). I made a point of wearing it with higher waisted pants this time so my belt wasn't visible. I am also only wearing two patterns as requested by many (edmorel in partcular). You can't make all the people happy all the time I guess.

Last edited: May 16, 2015