• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Graduation. Note to self: don't hug female students. A firm headshake will never result in a trip to the dry cleaner. The dry cleaner didn't even seem confident he could get it out. It's just makeup. I hope this crap comes out. Maybe I should have looked up solutions on the internet. :dozingoff: [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
You fox you AAS! The old "It was graduation my dear and they wanted to thank me with a hug, oh well not to worry off to the dry cleaners"! line. What a man!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Graduation.  Note to self: don't hug female students.  A firm headshake will never result in a trip to the dry cleaner.  The dry cleaner didn't even seem confident he could get it out.  It's just makeup.  I hope this crap comes out.  Maybe I should have looked up solutions on the internet.  :dozingoff:

i can think of better reasons not to hug female students of HS age or older.

nice fit, btw. dont love the shirt there, but the tassel loafers are much more enjoyable for me than the bit loafers, so i will call that wash and have issued a thumb.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@Claghorn , that jacket is lovely, but I really wish you were not wearing a windowpane shirt (don't really like that shirt much, regardless of the pairing) and square with it. no h8.

Agree on shirt. Disagree with square. But the shirt is a nice shade of light blue and the windowpane is invisible beyond about a foot.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have found that patterns that do not seem to work up close, but fade after a foot, are best left to distance shots only, if only to avoid comments like mine. :)

fair enough on the square. alone, i guess i would not have thought twice, but together with the jacket and shirt, 3 x windowpane seemed a bit much. i mean, what crazy person would triple up on a pattern. amirite?

arnathor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This guy is my hero….
crackup[1].gif
rotflmao.gif
If people know who this guy actually is, does anyone actually take him seriously?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the loudest jacket I will ever own. But the fabric was just too beautiful to turn down. Got a good rate on it as well, as B&T had ordered some for one of their display jackets and had enough left over for another jacket. H&S linen.

Cool jacket. File under Exhibit A demonstrating that "no patterned linens" is utter tripe.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just posted this shirt with this coat not that long ago, but yolo or something I guess.

Feedback is invited: I think this tie with this square is a keeper, but my concern with this is that there's a bit too much going on: feel like the same thing with a navy blazer could have worked, or with a plain blue OCBD.

Worn with stone chinos and tan bal wingtips.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feedback is invited: I think this tie with this square is a keeper, but my concern with this is that there's a bit too much going on: feel like the same thing with a navy blazer could have worked, or with a plain blue OCBD.

I feel like if you are going to wear that tie, everything else needs to be toned waaay down. Could probably keep the shirt, but I agree with you that if it is going to work it has to be paired with a navy blazer or something similarly soporific.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel like if you are going to wear that tie, everything else needs to be toned waaay down. Could probably keep the shirt, but I agree with you that if it is going to work it has to be paired with a navy blazer or something similarly soporific.

I agree, keep it simple. BD could use a sprezzier collar roll, which is the house preference (though whether BD is preferred at all is an ongoing debate; see next week's proposals for Friday Challenge for the latest contretemps)

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking good, @mossrockss . I feel like a non-green square might have worked better, but of course I have no actual suggestions.

Today:

Graduation. Note to self: don't hug female students. A firm headshake will never result in a trip to the dry cleaner. The dry cleaner didn't even seem confident he could get it out. It's just makeup. I hope this crap comes out. Maybe I should have looked up solutions on the internet.
dozingoff.gif

To Sir with Love ?

I like the square a lot. IMO the jacket is really very loud with a strong 'pattern' and it's rustic... so it wants to be paired with sedate, countrified partners. A smoothish tie, say a solid repp for a little bit of contrast with the SC rather than that rainbow (bordering on) novelty tie, or no tie at all, and a solid shirt in a darker blue or even a yellow.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Do I detect a hint of Jeeves-ish commentary on the tie ("If you must wear that...")?

Not that I object -- it's a rather bold tie. I think if I relate the green to something else I have on, it will feel more at home: the other colors aren't that far out.

I agree, keep it simple. BD could use a sprezzier collar roll, which is the house preference (though whether BD is preferred at all is an ongoing debate; see next week's proposals for Friday Challenge for the latest contretemps)
Thanks. I can sort of fiddle with the collar for a better roll, but it should really do it on its own.
I like the square a lot. IMO the jacket is really very loud with a strong 'pattern' and it's rustic... so it wants to be paired with sedate, countrified partners. A smoothish tie, say a solid repp for a little bit of contrast with the SC rather than that rainbow (bordering on) novelty tie, or no tie at all, and a solid shirt in a darker blue or even a yellow.
Thank you. The problem I run into with this coat is that it's a summer coat, and I've had trouble trying to do sedate and countryish without lapsing into an unseasonably autumnal palette.

It's a 1966 or 1977 calendar. Don't worry, I won't wear the giraffe tie with this coat.

Last edited:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great fit, looooove the square. Drakes?

Thanks, Pliny! Kenzo, actually.

Thanks.

Do I detect a hint of Jeeves-ish commentary on the tie ("If you must wear that...")?

Not that I object -- it's a rather bold tie. I think if I relate the green to something else I have on, it will feel more at home: the other colors aren't that far out.

Sorry, had a long post and it got erased. Essentially - I think that tie is a "fun" item, and I'm certainly not against incorporating those items into an outfit (i.e. - Master's green jacket), especially in the Spring/Summer months, I just think the rest should be toned down. Just my two shekels.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i can think of better reasons not to hug female students of HS age or older.

nice fit, btw. dont love the shirt there, but the tassel loafers are much more enjoyable for me than the bit loafers, so i will call that wash and have issued a thumb.

I have a strict student-student and student-teacher no touching policy during the school year. Graduation is the only time I hug students. Male or female. I think I may revert to the air high five next year.

Thanks. The shirt is purple, but I wish it was more purple. It looks white from a distance. Yea, tassels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics