1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

The tags are still on this jacket as I'm unsure that it's long enough to keep. This was actually taken very quickly for 'display' purposes in the GNAT but I figured I'd drop it in here also as I so rarely have occasion to post a fit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    7 people like this.
  2. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

Sure. I went in last week to try on the coat before the buttonholes were cut. Chris asked if I thought the center button should come up a bit from where it was. I said that he knew better than I. He decided to move it up about a quarter inch. I asked if it was to align the button with the waist or something like that. He said no, he just looks and goes with what feels right. So this is what he saw as looking best for this coat.

3. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

[​IMG]

Zegna
    Boss
    Henry Carter
    Drakes
    Epaulet

18 people like this.
  4. SYCSYC

SYCSYC Senior member

WIWT and FC submission:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  5. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

@SYCSYC happy belated birthday. I really like your outfits most of the days but the shoes are too "pointy" for me... I like shoes much rounder... maybe because I have big feet and yours would not work for me at all.

@JHT652 Congratulations... you are very lucky, both looking great.

@upr_crust Nice picture there. I really like the gardens in Versailles and what it has... much more than the palace itself... Le Petit and Le Grand Trianon, the farm, tha fountains... The palace is too excessive for my taste... I like other palaces across Europe much more than Versailles but I understand what it represents and its iconic status. That said, I have been there three times already hahaha. Sorry for the off topic.

2 people like this.
  6. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Senior member

The beard is enviable and the bride is beautiful. Well done on both fronts.

2 people like this.
  7. Sander

Sander Senior member

I see, thanks for the insight. I ask because different tailors have very different views on this subject. Some say buttom button and pockets should always be on the same height (also my preference, although I'm not a tailor), others just go with what feels right, others have elaborate mathematical formulas (I'm not kidding) to determine the height.

8. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I can't imagine being "on call" while vacationing in Versailles (or anywhere else, for that matter). Vacation is vacation.

And somehow, I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one stepping down the formality a notch when traveling - I usually reach for shorts in classic colors (stone, cream, beige) and plain short sleeves polos, instead of chinos and long sleeve shirts.

Very lovely ensemble @TweedyProf , I find myself browsing thru your Instagram recently for inspiration!

1 person likes this.
  9. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I prefer it as well myself, but you can imagine that someone might (a) want a certain length in the coat; (b) want the button stance to be at a certain point but (c) demand a conventional placement of pocket relative to hem. These three conditions might push the button to not align with the pocket.

It's interesting about some great tailors: they go with what looks right where this might reflect something you might make explicit as a "rule", say the middle button at one's "natural waist" which appears to be the case with PatrickR's coat. This is the point about dressing/tailoring as an acquired skill, a way of looking at things that only comes with lots of experience.

10. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I think a really good tailor will be guided by one question which will override all others: “What looks most flattering on this person?” That question obviously cannot be answered on the basis of the jacket’s geometry alone.

Cheers,

Ac

2 people like this.
  11. bienluienapris

bienluienapris Senior member

For Friday Challenge.
    A chilly day, lot of rain until 2pm and sunshine after 4pm, it's autumn [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32 people like this.
  12. colco

colco Senior member

Was going to say a thread with fit pic outtakes would be fun.

13. colco

colco Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  14. SYCSYC

SYCSYC Senior member

Nope. It is because I have bad french taste in shoes, and you are probably not a frenchie ;-)

15. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

Haha I am your southern neighbor :)

16. SYCSYC

SYCSYC Senior member

@Chulillo do you have an opinion on Meermin shoes?

17. Top Change

Top Change Well-Known Member

Great colour progressions mate. Where's that square from? It really brings that look to the next level.

18. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Fall colors and summer fabrics. Linen jacket, white seersucker shirt, and cotton tie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18 people like this.
  19. wetogether

wetogether Active Member

Anybody else who can give me suggestion, what color of pant fabric to match my blazer fabric below?
    [​IMG]

20. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Find another blazer fabric.^

7 people like this.