1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

If referring to me, it is a navy blue blazer.

1 person likes this.
  2. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Indeed

Thanks

1 person likes this.
  3. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Just sayin up front, I think I'd go with a different, more reserved tie next time on this fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  4. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Not fall yet, but it cooled down some yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23 people like this.
  5. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

I have those same shoulders, Canta.

6. Lensmaster

Lensmaster Well-Known Member

When was that? I never saw anything like that in the army in the 90s.

7. Cantabrigian

Like Vox said,

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Didn't I buy that bicolor knit from you, Canta? Anyway, now I'm wearing that tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hi, wetogether.

First, congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

So nobody is saying much, so I'll step in and try to be as gentle as possible: there are a lot to dislike in those three fits. You mention you aren't quite sure what makes for a good suit, so I'll try and explain using your examples of what, well, not to do.

* You want a suit to fit. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like any of your suits fit all that well (though it's only really possible to tell conclusively in that last velvet double breasted suit...it looks a size too big and the arms should be shortened). The first jacket looks like it is much too short for you. It also looks like it is from the same place as your second, which doesn't seem too short, so maybe not. All the lines make it sort of hard to tell ^_^

* You also want to choose an appropriate fabric. Assuming the quality is there, the fabrics of the first two are fine if not a bit loud. I don't think they'd be appropriate for a wedding, but different people have different types of wedding. I don't think velvet, however, is an appropriate fabric for a suit. Nor is purple a great color. (Smoking jackets are an exception here. But I don't like smoking jackets either).

* I realize skinny lapels are in right now (though I also think they are on their way out), so I am not going to harp on those. If you like skinny lapels, keep on liking them (but know you'd look better in something a tad wider. I'm not talking extreme...just something like 7.5cm or so). But if you do go skinny, I don't think peak lapels are the right way to go. In the future, I'd consider either getting notch lapels or wider lapels.

- this isn't a suit comment, but: suits really are meant to be worn with ties. I've definitely seen jackets look alright without ties, but rarely suits. And even when it does work, generally the shirts have collars, so there is somethign of visual interest within the jacket. This isn't the case here, so I'd rethink that choice.

- another non-suit comment: the tie knot doesn't really fit your collar. The knot is far too big for that collar. And the collar is too small for you (or really for being worn with jackets).

----

Anyway, please take this all with the intention it was given: to be helpful. There have been people who have started out much worse and improved dramatically. And again, congratulations on your upcoming nupitals.

Indeed. Way too close in scale there. But I think it's great that you're stepping back to the basics. Really, the basics is all one needs to dress well.

5 people like this.
  10. GuP

GuP Senior member

Interesting choice for a name "wetogether". Is it wet together or we together?

1 person likes this.
  11. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Senior member

I just bought that tie last week! Haven't had a chance to wear it out in the open yet, but I'm very impressed with the quality. KW consistently delivers.

What type of collar is that? It appears to be a soft collar or normal collar without stays. Perhaps it's neither and the angles and styling are playing tricks on my eyes.

Either way, I love the vibe of the whole outfit and the collar definitely adds to that.

12. colco

colco Senior member

nevermind.

13. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Senior member

@GuP
    I read "Wet Together."
    I have a sick mind.

@Cantabrigian
    I was going to say shoulder divots based on the first pic but the second pic shows that it is all good. Looks good but the tie and the silk(?) PS aint my thing.

14. GuP

GuP Senior member

@Cao Cao so did I :nodding:

15. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I still wear clothes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  16. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

35 people like this.
  17. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Sorry not sure how wide these are. I am happy with the width. Lapels are canvased, so has a nice roll.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. Cantabrigian

Thanks

The the collar is unfused but with a medium interlining. I'm actually using stiff metal stays since the collar is large enough that it's a bit unruly otherwise.

I've found that unless the collar is very stiff it will roll on the front edge even with stays.

1 person likes this.
  19. wetogether

wetogether Active Member

actually, it is we together, it means two young people who want to work together in order to have a nice future!

2 people like this.
  20. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Did you and your partner chosen the user id for this forum ?

1 person likes this.