HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

what's the CM equivalent for broscience? igentscience?

Last edited: May 1, 2015

2. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

wonderful lighting

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Great pic and location! I live in Santa Monica, a bit closer to the beach now, but this is right down the block from my old (and first!) apartment in LA. Crazy. Anyway I love that jacket and reminds me I have an RL madras SC somewhere I'll have to dig up. Cheers @Roycru looking good.
    Indeed... and fit as well. :nodding:

4. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Well, I do like to wear chestnut shoes sometimes, but I wouldn't pair them with a navy pinstripe (or at least I wouldn't post that here [​IMG]). Lighter, low contrast looks work better.
    FWIW, I agree with @Coxsackie 's assessment of Sander's fit.

[​IMG]

It may be old, but it's a very nice SC. And a great pic. A light, skyish blue shirt would have made it even more Elioesque. (Then again, I wear that with almost everything, so you may find that boring)

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Gracias! Picture quality is priority #1 for me. I'd rather have a 10/10 picture of a 7/10 outfit than a 7/10 picture of a 10/10 outfit. Just more pleasing to look at. (And I do look back at old pictures of mine)

Some constructive criticism. I'll try and do something like this every once and a while. I'll also try to avoid repeating myself when doing it (for example, I recently opined that @GMMcL 's broad chest would benefit from wider ties, so I'd not repeat that. Except for right now. Sorry. Just using you as an example. But do post something with a 3.75 sometime and tag me--I'm curious about how it looks)

Quote:
    When you start looking for new shirts, you should look into getting those with higher collar bands. Or go the Luxire route. You have a long neck/head for your body--a higher collar will probably mitigate this. I have a giant head and it definitely influences my choice of collars, so I'm speaking from experience.

Excellent backdrop. At some point, if you stick around SF, you'll want to start making new purchases. You're right about the skinny lapels, but that's just an SF thing. I think that the elements of the fit are pretty good, but that the actual items are letting it down

Butchy, those pants look too close in color to that jacket. More contrast in real life?

Jacket and pants are too close in color. I like the jacket itself (though something seems off about its fit--taking in the waist more is definitely not the answer). I'm pretty bad when it comes to working with light jackets, so I'm not sure what pants will work with that (darker brown linen?), but those are going to cause it to look like a suit from afar.

I bet that the tie, jacket, and pants go amazingly well together. And I get what you're trying to do with the shirt. I think it would have worked had it just been brown tattersall or even brown and blue on a white background--hell, maybe it does work and it just doesn't speak to me (very possible)--but it just seems like too casual a shirt for a tie. And the colors...drawing in both the brown from the tie and the blue of the jacket...are almost too much.

Not quite sure about wool on top and linen on bottom (though I do the opposite fairly routinely). I love the top block here. . But it is very blue and those pants seem to have a lot of yellow. They are a warm gray (greenish gray?) and a top block that col calls for a cooler gray

Last edited: May 2, 2015

6. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    H. Lesser 13 oz POW
    EG Cappelli tie, Roda PS, Calzificio Palatino socks
    Edward Green shoes

[​IMG]

7. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

@Spandexter did you enter this week's FC? Knit tie challenge. That's a great colour. Henry C.?

9. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

I did and Henry C it is!

10. SeamasterLux

SeamasterLux Senior member

Really? It's rare for Ring Jacket to have this kind of shoulders. I have 4 suits from them and none has that feature.

It's a spalla camicia (shirt-like shoulder)

11. Sander

Sander Senior member

I swear I was going to say "nice fit" before I saw that the tie was from us. :lol:
    Very nice! Both outfit and background. I travel to England regularly for business and always enjoy the countryside on the train, this is exactly what it looks like.
    No, he went quite beyond! Those are derbies! :uhoh:
    I like the light square + tie; if only one was light, it would be very much in focus, like this it is more balanced, I think.

12. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

13. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

14. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

15. kulata

kulata Senior member

Did you make that rule?

Don't see issues with more than one loud item in a fit as long as some sort of visual balance is maintained from head to toe.

I'd rock this fit with a white shirt in oxford cloth