• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

arnathor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
AS, at least you mix patterns/colours really well - Yet the sheer amount of rule breaking that guy is doing is crazy, but I guess that is what inspires the vapid #menswear followers to dress like him. What the hell is the point of wearing a DB without buttoning it, or not doing up double monks? I can't believe twitter and Tumblr fawn over Lino and Lapo, they dress like a joke.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AAS, at least you mix patterns/colours really well - Yet the sheer amount of rule breaking that guy is doing is crazy, but I guess that is what inspires the vapid #menswear followers to dress like him. What the hell is the point of wearing a DB without buttoning it, or not doing up double monks? I can't believe twitter and Tumblr fawn over Lino and Lapo, they dress like a joke.
I'm not the biggest fan of Lino. I think his jacket and pants are too tight, his pants are too short and his shoes are clunky. His tie and overcoat game is on point though. Real talk. I like Lapo.

arnathor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not the biggest fan of Lino. I think his jacket and pants are too tight, his pants are too short and his shoes are clunky. His tie and overcoat game is on point though. Real talk. I like Lapo.
Those lucky 7s are kinda goofy to me. Anyway, good to know I'm not alone here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those lucky 7s are kinda goofy to me. Anyway, good to know I'm not alone here.
I don't like the 7s either, but the ties are very nice otherwise. Also, thanks for the compliment.
fistbump.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
l2b - excellent SC.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its defo a winner. :slayer:

luv2breformed

Reaction score

its my favourite piece from my current scrolling section through this thread. what colour are the pants? more med grey or a slate?

I would call them light gray. Slate is prolly closer. Here they are next to some of my med gray and charcoals. They are on the far left.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just checking in to thank dudes for their thumbs this week and last. I do appreciate the support.

Carry on....

Same goes for me. I don't think I say thank you nearly enough so....thanks erbody! Especially for making me somewhat of a regular on the coveted "20 thumbs" thread. I preciate it.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I done messed up e'rbody's priorities with that there thread.
devil.gif

Which reminds me, I'll be getting in touch with some folks here and there to help me with a project starting next week. I'll be asking people who are known for certain things to be selecting a best of whatever that category is. For example, @upr_crust , @Holdfast , and @in stitches , being known for their poses, will be asked to pick their five favorite poses from that thread. I'll be asking @Pingson , @Manton (should he want to participate), and @Cleav to pick 5 conservative business dress looks (though I'm worried that they may fail to select themselves in a bout of misplaced humility, as if I had to choose 5 conservative business dress looks from the last year, they might take all 5, though Elio would probably squeeze on in there as well).

Probably going to be between 15-20 categories.

Stiva

Reaction score
Canali is generally considered a good fit for those with "wide shoulders". I have only seen them in drop 6. What this means for someone of my proportions is that a suit with a 46" chest and a correspondingly wide shoulder will have a 40" inch waist. If you have a 38" waist, for example, you will have to get the pants tailored and the jacket waist suppressed. Difficult if your drop is bigger. But that is almost always the case with OTR unless you are one of those fortunate few for whom OTR in some makers is a perfect fit. I have seen Isaia, Brooks, Armani and other brands with drop 7 and 8. They may have them in Canali, but I haven't seen them. So far as pants are concerned, you will rarely get the young man's ideal of slim fit and sub 8" opening OTR. And rise is a matter of personal taste, but it tends to be higher in high end brands (generalisation). Tailoring also required. Check out the result below when Cox had a Canali expertly adjusted. He is slim, and it works more than well. He is certainly not a "*****". Failing that, MTM or bespoke.
OK, so I know the tie is not going to get a lot of love, and to be honest I don't really like it much myself. But I'm travelling, so there. What I am really happy about though, is this suit. It's actually the very first high-end suit I bought, only a couple of years ago. That's about how long ago I began to realise that in order to lift my sartorial game, I had to open my wallet a bit wider. This suit was also my first purchase at the Canali boutique, down the road from my Sydney rooms - and I got it for half price at their Xmas sale. So far, so good. I've neglected this suit lately, and putting it on today, I realised why: the fit. Fairly well-padded across the shoulders, and way too wide around the waist, leading to a boxy look which was amplified by the window-pane pattern. Also, the trousers were too baggy. I didn't realise any of this at the time, but a year on SF has educated my eye. Thank you, SF. So, a quick trip down to my tailor's, and hey presto, A Suit Is Born! Canali Exclusive - Rhodes & Beckett - Oroton - TM Lewin - Santoni (shoe colour more accurate in the first photo)

Stiva

Reaction score
Sorry, that was meant for the Australian thread.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Needed a power suit for today's presentation (then hopefully off a little early this afternoon)!!
Cesare Attolini navy suit with French blue pinstripe
Lobb brown shoes
Bigi Milano tie
Isaia long semi spread collar shirt
Omega seamaster gmt

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads