1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

6 months straight at consistently above 80 and mostly above 90 is long time. To me, the heat becomes cumulative. After 10, 20 straight days of unbearable heat, you start to really feel it and it feels like society and certainly civility frays around the edges. When Dallas baked 2 or 3 summers ago for like 90 straight days, I was surprised there was not a huge uptick in violence. Maybe there was and I didn't hear about it.

2 people like this.
  2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

This is precisely what happens in the Middle Eastern conflict zones during hot summers, especially in places with spotty electricity (read: spotty air conditioning).

3. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

You would think people would be too sweaty and fried to do anything.

1 person likes this.
  4. rms340

rms340 Senior member

You're in Dallas, Kulata? Hopefully you'll be leaving before the weekend, highs of 105+! Unfortunately I'll be stuck here and sticking to t-shirts, shorts, and espadrilles.

5. Lensmaster

Lensmaster Well-Known Member

The moral is, don't travel in circles.

1 person likes this.
  6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

@in stitches

Please tell me that's from when the weather was cooler and you didn't go outside, in flannel, just for a photoshoot. At this point, the only time I'll even wear linen is when I know I'll be able to get a parking space near my building. If I figure I'll need to be walking more than two minutes outside, there is no way I'm in a jacket. And I've gotten damned good at weaving my way through air conditioned buildings, popping out just briefly to move to the next, to get to where I'm going. It may add an extra 2-3 minutes getting car to office, but it's worth it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. kulata

kulata Senior member

Leaving in a few hours

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

FC x-post

[​IMG]

19 people like this.
  9. LilacCords

LilacCords Senior member

[​IMG]

29 people like this.
  10. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

I like this suit very much, at least what I see of it. Could do with an overall picture.
    But I'm not that happy with the shirt/tie. The shirt is too formal, specially the collar. Tattersall is better, and not cut-away.
    The tie is too close to the colour of the suit, might be better with rust or navy grenadine. And then the PS would be better with cream or some orange(ish) depending on the tie.

1 person likes this.
  11. Caustic Man

I'm fine with the color of the tie with that suit, but I agree with you on the shirt.

2 people like this.
  12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Actually I like @LilacCords 's fit, although Roy Al's crit is technically correct.

Looks like a good outfit for a festive occasion like a wedding. Also, the low-contrast tie means the suit itself - and in particular, its fabric - is the centrepiece.

2 people like this.
  13. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

What is 'technically' in this context? Not familiar with concept.

14. colco

colco Senior member

This. Summers are supposed to be hot more or less. When I lived in Florida the first year I didn't get squirelly until it didn't actually cool off when I was used to it cooling off. After the first year it didn't bother me.
    Now, back home in the Northeast, I love (live for) May, June and into July. By this time of year cumulative effect as you put it starts to do me in. I start finding myself wanting it to be cloudy, or rainy.

15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

In accordance with accepted norms of good taste in menswear, particularly, in relation to coherence and colour matching.

In English, saying an argument is "technically correct" means that it follows the rules, but one nevertheless disagrees with its conclusions.

16. mcobinad

mcobinad Senior member

Today's outfit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

16 people like this.
  17. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Thanks, k.

The past month has been hell, but the past few days have been pretty nice. More importantly tho, sometimes we must suffer for fashionz.

3 people like this.
  18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

mcobinad: I like your combining and eye for color, but the fit is just wrong. I think it goes beyond the subjective. The circled areas show where there is no ease in the cut of the jacket and pants, so the fabric bunches up. The V over the vest shows the shape it should be. Note how the vest bows away from those ideal lines.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't think you can call these matters of taste.

5 people like this.
  19. Caustic Man

You have to admit, it's heading in the right direction based on his earlier fits.

3 people like this.
  20. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Oddly, despite the fact that I heartily agree with you about the issues, I think you could still call it a matter of taste.

I think in today's pop culture, and if you were to have a look in GQ, I think the ultra tight look is still in favor with many. I don't like it at all though. Ymmv I guess.

1 person likes this.