• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
odd vest today:

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

@NickPollica
I appreciate your thoughtful responses to me being a bit of an ass today.  My critique was not about your own shoes/care for your clothes, but rather the idea that people are turned off from tailored clothing by the perceived fussiness/rigidity of it.  As you point out, mine is entirely a subjective, personal evaluation--a preference even--and I'll own it as such because it gets into why I dress the way I do. 

Others' mileage may vary. 

I know a more than a few very stylish guys that went from wearing a jacket and tie every day to scrapping tailored clothing all together because they got tired of people telling them how they were putting things together wasn't "correct." Having someone comparing not polishing shoes to not showering is the perfect example of this. I have zero interest in looking even remotely similar to someone who thinks this way.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Having someone comparing not polishing shoes to not showering is the perfect example of this. I have zero interest in looking even remotely similar to someone who thinks this way.

I think you're taking this a little too personally. That comment was meant to be a humorous comparison. Obviously the two do not equate. I also wonder if you realize that making an effort not to look affected is exactly what being affected is all about. But do continue...

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know a more than a few very stylish guys that went from wearing a jacket and tie every day to scrapping tailored clothing all together because they got tired of people telling them how they were putting things together wasn't "correct." Having someone comparing not polishing shoes to not showering is the perfect example of this. I have zero interest in looking even remotely similar to someone who thinks this way.

A FaceBook friend of mine literally posted this on her page the other day:

"I've been citing science as a defense for my laziness and procrastination for a while, but most people love showering too much to stop drying out and abusing their skin."

So. You know. Even showering isn't a foregone conclusion.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks awfully to everyone who liked the picture of the White Rabbit and I.

Thanks also to everyone who took the time and trouble to post so many wonderful pictures yesterday and today. I have tried to give your pictures "thumbs", but when I clicked on the "thumb" icon a little box appeared and said give someone a "reputation" and make a comment.

When I was at school, a "reputation" was the worst possible thing that a girl could have, and it was quite nearly as bad if a boy had a "reputation". I have also received several emails from Styleforum saying that some people have given me a "reputation".

I'm dreadfully sorry for whatever horrid thing that I did to gain a "reputation". I have tried to figure out what horrid things I have done, and I think that the worst thing that I have ever done is post pictures of this suit, which I wore again today. It seems to combine so many things that some people don't like.

It's a Brooks Brothers (Made In USA) tan and brown mini houndstooth cotton suit, with a three button darted jacket with dual vents and the trousers have two backwards facing pleats, cuffs, and are shorter than some people prefer. I am also wearing a Ralph Lauren Polo Fairisle sweater vest and a Brooks Brothers ecru PPBD shirt, two things that some people don't like, particularly when worn with a suit.

I am also wearing Allen-Edmonds khaki grain McTavish wingtips shoes, although some people don't like the idea of wearing wingtip shoes with a suit. I don't remember anyone not approving of Hardy Amies wool ties, but maybe someone out there does. Sorry......

Spandexter

Reaction score

I have no moral problem with him not shining his shoes. I don't think unshined shoes say anything about a person other than "I didn't shine my shoes today". I don't like @NickPollica
's look in general but I'm not upset that he dresses that way. The thing I have a problem with is @jaywhyy
's moronic comments.

Wow. If I had a job that allowed me more flexibility in my clothing choices I would aim for the look Nick makes look effortless. I think he looks fantastic.

steffenbp11

Reaction score
Roycru, although my sartorial preferences are very different from yours I always enjoy your posts. You have a unique sense of timeless style which sets you apart from most of us on here. Keep up the good work :)

TWU2014

Reaction score

Thanks awfully to everyone who liked the picture of the White Rabbit and I.

Thanks also to everyone who took the time and trouble to post so many wonderful pictures yesterday and today. I have tried to give your pictures "thumbs", but when I clicked on the "thumb" icon a little box appeared and said give someone a "reputation" and make a comment.

When I was at school, a "reputation" was the worst possible thing that a girl could have, and it was quite nearly as bad if a boy had a "reputation". I have also received several emails from Styleforum saying that some people have given me a "reputation".

I'm dreadfully sorry for whatever horrid thing that I did to gain a "reputation". I have tried to figure out what horrid things I have done, and I think that the worst thing that I have ever done is post pictures of this suit, which I wore again today. It seems to combine so many things that some people don't like.

It's a Brooks Brothers (Made In USA) tan and brown mini houndstooth cotton suit, with a three button darted jacket with dual vents and the trousers have two backwards facing pleats, cuffs, and are shorter than some people prefer. I am also wearing a Ralph Lauren Polo Fairisle sweater vest and a Brooks Brothers ecru PPBD shirt, two things that some people don't like, particularly when worn with a suit.

I am also wearing Allen-Edmonds khaki grain McTavish wingtips shoes, although some people don't like the idea of wearing wingtip shoes with a suit. I don't remember anyone not approving of Hardy Amies wool ties, but maybe someone out there does. Sorry......
"Ignore those that have been rude. Or, critical of you. We are here to learn and share.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I think you're taking this a little too personally. That comment was meant to be a humorous comparison. Obviously the two do not equate. I also wonder if you realize that making an effort not to look affected is exactly what being affected is all about. But do continue...

I don't take your comments personally. I'm going to dress the way I dress whether you think its affected or not. I'm only responding because I feel like your general tone in this debate is symptomatic of a problem that I think is, in general, damaging to the future of my industry. The world is getting more casual and most young people have little need for fully canvassed suits. If we want the things we love to be around for us to enjoy them, we need to be more open about how they are worn.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I al
Thanks awfully to everyone who liked the picture of the White Rabbit and I. Thanks also to everyone who took the time and trouble to post so many wonderful pictures yesterday and today. I have tried to give your pictures "thumbs", but when I clicked on the "thumb" icon a little box appeared and said give someone a "reputation" and make a comment. When I was at school, a "reputation" was the worst possible thing that a girl could have, and it was quite nearly as bad if a boy had a "reputation". I have also received several emails from Styleforum saying that some people have given me a "reputation". I'm dreadfully sorry for whatever horrid thing that I did to gain a "reputation". I have tried to figure out what horrid things I have done, and I think that the worst thing that I have ever done is post pictures of this suit, which I wore again today. It seems to combine so many things that some people don't like. It's a Brooks Brothers (Made In USA) tan and brown mini houndstooth cotton suit, with a three button darted jacket with dual vents and the trousers have two backwards facing pleats, cuffs, and are shorter than some people prefer. I am also wearing a Ralph Lauren Polo Fairisle sweater vest and a Brooks Brothers ecru PPBD shirt, two things that some people don't like, particularly when worn with a suit. I am also wearing Allen-Edmonds khaki grain McTavish wingtips shoes, although some people don't like the idea of wearing wingtip shoes with a suit. I don't remember anyone not approving of Hardy Amies wool ties, but maybe someone out there does. Sorry......
I always love your fits.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't take your comments personally. I'm going to dress the way I dress whether you think its affected or not. I'm only responding because I feel like your general tone in this debate is symptomatic of a problem that I think is, in general, damaging to the future of my industry. The world is getting more casual and most young people have little need for fully canvassed suits. If we want the things we love to be around for us to enjoy them, we need to be more open about how they are worn.

Kids not needing canvassed suits has no bearing on the industry.

Ihami

Reaction score
Any advice greatly appreciated

havent really worn it out yet, just around the house. Is it viable to wear dark blue suede tassels with these?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Late to the game, but damn Tira, that fit was fire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads