HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

I agree with you for the most part. I am one who likes my Chuck Taylor All Stars dirty. I own like ten or eleven pairs in different colors and the first thing I do when I buy one is to step on them. I like the beat up thing for that type of shoe. Once my mom told me "Do you need me to go over there and wash them for you?" hahaha I said "don't you dare". The poor woman just saw me one week end and thought "the poor guy has no time to wash his shoes". LOL

A like them a little dirty but not hideous looking dirty xD

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  3. Louys

Louys Senior member

I don't think anyone's said it yet, but a bit of saphir reno would do the job maintenance-wise and brighten the leather without altering the lived in appearance all that much. Of course, Nick might prefer not to spend any time durdling with his shoes at all in which case scratch that suggestion.

That said all this acquiescence to subjectivity seems lazy. Everyone comes to SF because they think that clothes can look good, even if they disagree about the way in which they think clothes look good. It may be true that this is subjective, that shined shoes look good to one person and unshined shoes look good to someone else but discussion doesn't have to stop there. There's always an objective reason why things appear they way they do even if they only appear that way to certain people. One of the great benefits of SF is that you get to rub shoulders with people who think different things look good. Deciding whether or not you agree with that person's taste at first glance doesn't take proper advantage of the situation. It's so much better to ask others, or at least try to see why they like things that are different from what you like. When you get an answer you gain a better appreciation of different styles. Why fight that? Even their style doesn't work for your life it'll give you a broader mind, and perhaps a bit of inspiration. In any case that's how SF has worked for me.

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Edit: I grew up with my Dad spit shining his shoes every single night. It's something that carries a deep and resonant personal meaning for me. And it's something I've spent literally hours researching and trying to master. With absolutely no success. I've relegated myself to a maintenance buff shine. Not SF approved, and it saddens me I can't pay homage to my father in that way. But life goes on, I suppose.

5. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Given the time you have spent trying, I doubt this is actually news, but Crat's video show's demonstrates the same technique I used back when I had to do it.

[​IMG]

6. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

One of the things I admire most about Antonio's style is that he has the "I just woke up like this" look. He makes everything look effortless and it doesn't bother me that his shoes aren't highly polished. His shoes aren't beat to hell and a complete mess....they just look worn and unbabied, for lack of a better (and actual) word. I'm the complete opposite and at times, I wish I could be that way, but it just isn't me. Antonio does Antonio....and he does it extremely well.

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I can almost recite it by heart.

Clearly I'm doing it wrong. I'm just not sure in quite what way, which is baffling given how many god damn times I've watched that video.

8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

What you need sir, is Basic Military Training.

9. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

The mistake I have seen most frequently is in the quantity of polish. It really is a case of a little (teeny tiny) amount going a long way.

10. europrep

europrep Senior member

Not sure what I am doing with my leg in the first shot, but hey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit:
    SC: Formosa
    Shirt: Mazz
    PS: Bigi
    Pants: Eidos
    Shoes: Vass
    Socks: Howard Yount

11. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

12. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I have no moral problem with him not shining his shoes. I don't think unshined shoes say anything about a person other than "I didn't shine my shoes today". I don't like @NickPollica 's look in general but I'm not upset that he dresses that way. The thing I have a problem with is @jaywhyy 's moronic comments.

13. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Today, spring has sprung!

(new brown Borrelli from our friend @Ich_Dien fabulous)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Borrelli, Kiton, Canali, Lobb

English countryside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Very nice tie, @Cleav, but I think your shoes are too shiny. ;)

15. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Shoe police? Feck! I like I wear, others like different wtf, I can still respect and appreciate a different aesthetic.

PS, I know you get it ol' friend :)