HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

No, just aggressiveness.

2. NickPollica

NickPollica Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think that saying someone has a contempt for the earnest because they don't follow another person's definition of what caring for clothing is, is nothing but your subjective opinion.

You should ask my wife if I care for my clothing properly... Just because I don't like the look of shiny shoes doesn't mean they aren't moisturized regularly and kept with trees.

My objective to make tailoring more available certainly won't be aided by me telling people how they have to wear it.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Get a Parsons intern named Cheyenne or some such to shine them for you.

Now, don't we have our own Parsons alum around here? ^_^

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Might be NickP's confidence/swagger or whatever you want to call it, but it looks good to me here. Doesn't look correct or right, but it looks good, if that makes sense.

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

No one's saying you have to wear clothes in any way. They're simply critiquing your outfit according to their views, which is the purpose of this thread. You're welcome to accept or dismiss someone's opinion. The discussion that follows is usualy where it gets interesting, and where lots of people learn new ways of doing things, provided it stays relatively good natured.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  6. surefire1017

surefire1017 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

First fit pic, figured obligatory bathroom shot is perfect haha.

7. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Not bad. Welcome!

8. eviltimeban

eviltimeban Senior member

Just a tip - select the larger image option when posting pictures, that might give us a better idea of what you are wearing. A couple of close ups too are also nice.

As for the fit, can't tell if that is black or navy, anyway the trousers look like they might be too loose or too long, from the way they are baggy around your thighs. I know, this happens to me on occasion, when the cut of the upper part of the trousers is too wide.

9. surefire1017

surefire1017 Well-Known Member

Yeah the lighting is awful. The color is navy.I think I'll have to get the waist taken in a bit more slid down slightly before the shot. I didn't see the larger image option when uploading from device. Thanks!

10. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

You simply cannot properly shine shoes without a glass of bourbon/scotch... and I for one can't think of a reason why anyone in their right mind would not have shiny shoes. [​IMG]

New Boucle tie from ASW. Really like the texture, but it gets hidden behind the strong pattern.
    [​IMG]
    DL-

11. TheoMerc

TheoMerc Member

Afternoon,

I really like what David was wearing today, so I had to make him model. Benefits of being the photographer at the shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

Flannel season is slowly coming to a close here in Denmark, but still chilly enough this morning..

[​IMG]

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Im pretty much with Nick on this one. Anyone who wants to shine their shoes should do just so, I shine mine when I feel they are starting to look more beat up than Id like, but when its clear that someone prefers the look of a beat up shoe and a generally more rumply look, why cant they just be granted that, assuming they have the rig under control?

I mean, no one has to like it, and anyone certainly can say, nah man, Im not feeling the look of those beat up shoes at all, or I dont love that with a tailored suit, thats incongruent in my opinion..., the same way you might not like the shirt/tie combo on another fit, its nothing more than a critique on something that does not appeal to you. However, to tell someone that they are doing it wrong because they dont do it like you do it, or to make assumptions about their feeling towards others based on how their shoes look, is a bit much for me.

We all subscribe to certain rules about what looks good, and I know that Nicks jam flys in the face of a lot of what I would pen as rules to dress by, but he happens to do it in a way that works, imo. Again, not everyone has to like it, but thats really all that needs to be said, I dont like that. Jamming things down someones throat, especially someone who is far from a novice, is poor.

Critiquing is great, and its part what allows everyone here, especially myself, to learn and improve, but sometimes a little bit more live and let live could be applied. Its a hard line to walk, because I really do feel there are things/fits that are objectively bad, and people should be told so in such cases, so they can learn. But sometimes, something is not bad, its just different than what someone else likes.

My 2 cents.

14. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

@NickPollica I appreciate your thoughtful responses to me being a bit of an ass today. My critique was not about your own shoes/care for your clothes, but rather the idea that people are turned off from tailored clothing by the perceived fussiness/rigidity of it. As you point out, mine is entirely a subjective, personal evaluation--a preference even--and I'll own it as such because it gets into why I dress the way I do.

Others' mileage may vary.

15. bienluienapris

bienluienapris Senior member